Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Atlanta Emerges as Black Entertainment Mecca [[due in part to Georgia film incentives)

Stars Flock to Atlanta, Reshaping a Center of Black Culture

ATLANTA — Cynthia Bailey, arguably the most glamorous of the “Real Housewives of Atlanta,” shivered in a sleeveless red shift, microphone in hand.

It was oddly cold, but the intrepid model carried on. She had a job to do: interviewing the talent that swaggered down the red carpet for the Soul Train Awards.

All along the police barriers that closed down Peachtree Street, fans screamed and elbowed one another for a better view. Those lucky enough to have tickets slipped into the Fox Theater, all glittery and prepared to party

This was celebrity black Atlanta at its best.

A few years ago, the city probably would not have been able to pull off such a show. But fueled by a generous entertainment tax credit, the migration of affluent African-Americans from the North and the surprising fact that even celebrities appreciate the lower cost of living here, this capital of the Deep South is emerging as an epicenter of the black glitterati.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/us...&src=me&ref=us
    Maybe Detroit can absorb some of the energy with what remains of Michigan's film incentives program.

Seems to me more directors only use the Detroit because of it's tax incentives rather than for it's actual appeal.

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?loc... Michigan, USA

I had no idea so many movies were filmed in Detroit, but really only a few have stories that actually take place in Detroit. Rather than random Detroit landmarks imposed in a scene that takes place in Chicago / Los Angeles [[Transformers), I'd have stories that show the lives of residents who live in the area and deal with realistic problems [[Gran Torino). Although I've never known Highland Park to have a high asian population [[hollywood unrealism), at least there's snippets of what life is like living in Metro Detroit [[cars, crime, blight). It irks me that more movies and / or TV shows haven't done that.

Even in "Up in the Air", Detroit is one of the last stops where George Clooney has to fire a guy and he takes it a little harder than most of the other clients because everyone knows about this region's connection with the auto industry and the lack diverse job options. Even Detroit 187 showed Detroit in it's truest light! [[albeit maybe a bit cheesy in some parts)

Maybe I just have high expectations for Detroit based movies and TV shows but it seems that Atlanta gets its proper attention [[even though IMO, southern culture isn't really all that special and ATL is still pretty southern and cheap). Whatever, no love for the DET it seems...only love for the money.

/rant

I don't care what the reason for making movies in Detroit is as long as they keep coming. I have had several bit parts in over 10 movies and tv shows. It's an excellent way to supplement my income and a chance for people interested in the movie industry to participate without having to relocate to Hollywood. BTW what do you have against southern culture? Many Many Many Detroiters have Southern roots and proud of it. Myself included!!!

I mean, southern culture is nice and I have roots in it too, but I just think calling ATL a "mecca" is a bit much. I guess I'm just old fashioned and prefer historical depth rather than just a glitzy sprawling town.

Calling ALT a "mecca" is an opinion and opinions are like a__holes everyone has one.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; November-27-11 at 07:46 PM.

Lol, I guess, but you can tell which ones are filled with Taco Bell and gas. But like I said, I'm old fashioned and I just prefer someplace with some decent amount of history rather than just a town...which really I don't even understand why it's so popular. I know, opinions, opinions...It's not like I can't force directors to make Detroit the star of every show anyway, and so it's my opinion that Detroit should have its fair share.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    I don't care what the reason for making movies in Detroit is as long as they keep coming. I have had several bit parts in over 10 movies and tv shows. It's an excellent way to supplement my income and a chance for people interested in the movie industry to participate without having to relocate to Hollywood. BTW what do you have against southern culture? Many Many Many Detroiters have Southern roots and proud of it. Myself included!!!

As have I. I have been priviledged to have been 4 feature length ones myself...
    Last edited by Detroit Stylin; November-27-11 at 07:20 PM.

The funny thing about this is that a few years ago Clifton Powell [[Pinky from Fridays, Rays road manager on Ray), had said that Detroit could/ should be the Black entertainment Mecca. Now with a ringing endorsement like that by him and some other prominent holly wood types, I dont see why it shouldnt be given the diversity of the Black diaspora in the region. Whereas honestly, if you saw one Black movie made in Atlanta you have pretty much seen them all...

Atlanta is the center of the SE with over 6 million people in its Metro Area and growing. Its economy is also heavily diversified and the region doesn't rely on any one industry for its success. Not to mention, outside of NYC, Houston and Dallas, it has the highest number of Fortune 500 companies [[more than Chicago). What helped it also become an entertainment mecca was heavy influence from Ted Turner and Tyler Perry. It long surpassed Detroit in terms of relevance. The black community in general only considers Detroit the party city, nothing more, nothing less. They consider it nice to visit from a "Yeah, those are our hardcore, down to earth homeboys and we know we'll have their support!!!" standpoint, but majority of them wouldn't dare live here if you paid them. On top of all that, it's considered an Alpha city. It's really no comparison the more you think about it.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-27-11 at 07:43 PM.

But they have a huge water problem. Not just cut back here or there, talking about Vegas style rationing.

To have lured anyone to anything based on something that can go away with a flick of a pen, guarantees it will disappear in a heartbeat and then who gets to pay off all of the infrastructure?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    But they have a huge water problem. Not just cut back here or there, talking about Vegas style rationing.

To have lured anyone to anything based on something that can go away with a flick of a pen, guarantees it will disappear in a heartbeat and then who gets to pay off all of the infrastructure?
    True.

Then again so does the entire SW United States.

But apparently that's not the most important issue for many people, considering the regions are growing at exceptional rates while the Great Lakes overall is shrinking at an exceptional rate.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Stars Flock to Atlanta, Reshaping a Center of Black Culture

Maybe Detroit can absorb some of the energy with what remains of Michigan's film incentives program.
    Not with a Republican Gov calling the shots, unless of course Atlanta wants a bridge to be built.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Atlanta is the center of the SE with over 6 million people in its Metro Area and growing. Its economy is also heavily diversified and the region doesn't rely on any one industry for its success. Not to mention, outside of NYC, Houston and Dallas, it has the highest number of Fortune 500 companies [[more than Chicago). What helped it also become an entertainment mecca was heavy influence from Ted Turner and Tyler Perry. It long surpassed Detroit in terms of relevance. The black community in general only considers Detroit the party city, nothing more, nothing less. They consider it nice to visit from a "Yeah, those are our hardcore, down to earth homeboys and we know we'll have their support!!!" standpoint, but majority of them wouldn't dare live here if you paid them. On top of all that, it's considered an Alpha city. It's really no comparison the more you think about it.
    Not to mention, a lot of Atlanta residents are transplanted Detroiters.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Not to mention, a lot of Atlanta residents are transplanted Detroiters.
    There are a ton of us here. Atlanta overall.. sucks compared to Detroit. Trust me, the grass is not greener here.

We have many similar problems here as there are in Detroit, with 10% unemployment, [[higher in the city), a very depressed housing market, etc. Atlanta is no mecca for anything, and it is generic to a fault. Chains and franchises rule the scene, for everything. There are some very good things about this city, but don't get the idea that it is some great, progressive city, and light years ahead of Detroit. If I could define it with one word, that would be 'stalled'..

On top of all that, it is the heart of the SEC.. try living amongst those assholes .. it's hell on earth.

Atlanta.. I like it enough, but it's not 'great'.

Quote Originally Posted by atl_runner View Post
    There are a ton of us here. Atlanta overall.. sucks compared to Detroit. Trust me, the grass is not greener here.

We have many similar problems here as there are in Detroit, with 10% unemployment, [[higher in the city), a very depressed housing market, etc. Atlanta is no mecca for anything, and it is generic to a fault. Chains and franchises rule the scene, for everything. There are some very good things about this city, but don't get the idea that it is some great, progressive city, and light years ahead of Detroit. If I could define it with one word, that would be 'stalled'..

Atlanta--both city and suburbs--is a collection of buildings that fell from outer space and landed in randomly-selected locations, tied together with swaths of vertigo-inducing freeway. There's no "there" there.

I have always commented that Atlanta is the ultimate triumph of PR and marketing over reality.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Seems to me more directors only use the Detroit because of it's tax incentives rather than for it's actual appeal.

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?loc... Michigan, USA

I had no idea so many movies were filmed in Detroit, but really only a few have stories that actually take place in Detroit. Rather than random Detroit landmarks imposed in a scene that takes place in Chicago / Los Angeles [[Transformers), I'd have stories that show the lives of residents who live in the area and deal with realistic problems [[Gran Torino). Although I've never known Highland Park to have a high asian population [[hollywood unrealism), at least there's snippets of what life is like living in Metro Detroit [[cars, crime, blight). It irks me that more movies and / or TV shows haven't done that.

Even in "Up in the Air", Detroit is one of the last stops where George Clooney has to fire a guy and he takes it a little harder than most of the other clients because everyone knows about this region's connection with the auto industry and the lack diverse job options. Even Detroit 187 showed Detroit in it's truest light! [[albeit maybe a bit cheesy in some parts)

Maybe I just have high expectations for Detroit based movies and TV shows but it seems that Atlanta gets its proper attention [[even though IMO, southern culture isn't really all that special and ATL is still pretty southern and cheap). Whatever, no love for the DET it seems...only love for the money.

/rant
    Just a little FYI regarding Gran Torino... it was originally written about Minneapolis which has the Hmong population. They changed story's location after the decision was made to shoot here.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Just a little FYI regarding Gran Torino... it was originally written about Minneapolis which has the Hmong population. They changed story's location after the decision was made to shoot here.
    Yeah. That must be it.

http://hmongdetroit.org/

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Yeah. That must be it.

http://hmongdetroit.org/
    Yeah. it is it. The movie was written about Minneapolis. http://bit.ly/uPq1Fs

The original setting for the story was Minneapolis, Minnesota, home to screenwriter Nick Schenk, as well as a sizeable Hmong population. In fact, most of the 250,000 Hmong in the United States live in Wisconsin, Minnesota and California.

*explitive deleted before i get tattled on for being a meanie.
    Last edited by bailey; November-28-11 at 04:06 PM.

Good call GP. The is a large Hmong population around Pershing H.S. This was quite apparent during my facilitator gig with Taubman a few years back.

On top of all that, it is the heart of the SEC.. try living amongst those assholes .. it's hell on earth.

Agreed on all points, especially the SEC. I spent my undergrad years in that region of the South and spent many of my school breaks among transplanted Detroiters in Atlanta. That was back in the 1990s during the lead-up to the Olympics. Atlanta was at its peak then, and I still don't really care to live there.

Today, everyone in Detroit talks about moving to North Carolina and Texas. I don't hear about Atlanta or Georgia nearly as much anymore.

what kind of mass transit is in Atlanta and vicinity, if any?

As mentioned earlier, I have a lot of friends that moved there from Detroit, as well as a few relatives. I was there last summer visiting in Conyers GA a suburb, and what amazed me was you had to drive about a hour to get to Alpharetta [[another burb) It's like that each destination. Everything is so spread out. I actually got tired driving from one spot to another. I guess some people enjoy it, but it's too much driving for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    what kind of mass transit is in Atlanta and vicinity, if any?
    MARTA - I'm guessing the acromyn is Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Association?

Yeah, they've got the peeps but not the water... LOL! I have fam members that have relocated there and they never drink the water out the tap and water rationing is real and not great lakes... or large body of water to see... But I guess alot of people have relocated to the ATL from everywhere. Alot of former Detroiters indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

I hate driving down there at that thing called a freeway that runs down the middle of ATL to Buckhead etc. [[410?). Oye, everyone is doing either 90 or 30 and the ones doing 30 mph are those lost and soon to be run over... LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    As mentioned earlier, I have a lot of friends that moved there from Detroit, as well as a few relatives. I was there last summer visiting in Conyers GA a suburb, and what amazed me was you had to drive about a hour to get to Alpharetta [[another burb) It's like that each destination. Everything is so spread out. I actually got tired driving from one spot to another. I guess some people enjoy it, but it's too much driving for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast