Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Gazette [[And Other Old Newspapers)

This morning, I discovered that Google News has begun to digitize old newspapers. The selection and time periods are limited for now, but the archive does contains 392 papers from the Detroit Gazette, in the period from August 1, 1817 to April 8, 1830. Click here to see the archive.

An excerpt, from Jan 7, 1830:

The Peninsula of Michigan is rapidly filling up with enterprising emigrants, and in case of war, would be in an exposed and defenseless situation. Saginaw Bay and Fort Gratiot are prominent points upon the Canadian boundary, and the object of connecting those places, and Chicago with Detroit, is of great importance, as well for the defence of the Territory, as for the encouragement of the development of the country. Your memorialists believe, that in defence of a frontier, much consists in having good roads; they therefore respectfully solicit of Congress an additional appropriation of money to continue those roads...

I found it interesting that some of the papers have some articles in French. I have always wondered how long the influence of the original inhabitants lasted, but it seems by the later editions of the Gazette, the French articles were gone.

From the April 3, 1903 Ann Arbor Record:

Amusements in Detroit
    Week Ending April 4

DETROIT OPERA HOUSE--"The Alter of Friendship" - Sat Matinee at 2; Evenings at 8.

LYCEUM THEATER--"The Four Cohans"-Saturday Mat. 25c. Evenings 10c [[?), 25c, 50c and 75c.

[The Four Cohans was a vaudeville act.]

WHITNEY THEATER-"Kentucky Feud"-Mat 10c, 15c and 20c. Evenings 10c, 20c and 30c

[This was a silent movie about a family feud."]

TEMPLE THEATER AND WONDERLAND-Afternoons 2:15, 10c to 25c. Evenings 8:15, 10c to 30c

I missed this thread in 2011 but have been having great fun browsing the Detroit Gazette since I "found" it last night. I thought I'd bump this thread in case anyone hasn't seen the link.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=scjTk0LcRdsC