Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bing Minimizes cuts so he can Insure an EFM [[Bing) takes Control

One way to insure that pay/benefit cuts happen and unions are thwarted is to keep deficits high and keep reform to a minimum. Robert Bobb knew this and that's why he could Not improve DPS; he had to keep chaos going to derail DPS in an effort to move to a capitalist system [[for profit) which is the Charter School system. Mayor Bing is doing the same with the city.

Has anyone noticed that City Council's proposals are "draconian maximas" in the sense that they know that if they don't trump/surpass Bing's proposals that they will be out of a job when Detroit is taken over by an EFM.

From The Detroit Citizen newspaper [[Sun, Nov, 27, 2011):

To avoid an EM, City Council also proposed, Nov. 21, eliminating subsidies to the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History and the Detroit Institute of the Arts, the Detroit Zoo, Detroit Economic Growth Corporation, Eastern Market and Detroit Public School; outsourcing the Detroit Department of Transportation; increasing taxes on residents and nonresidents, sharing health department services; and getting the $15 million owed to the city on an electric bill from the cash-strapped Detroit Public Schools, which is currently under emergency management with a growing deficit of over $350 million.

Ummmm...am I having a brain fart or was it these institutions that council members fought tooth and nail to save just a couple years ago?

Now that councils job is on the line, everything they ever fought for is thrown under the bus to save THEIR JOBS!

Quote Originally Posted by jhartmich View Post
    One way to insure that pay/benefit cuts happen and unions are thwarted is to keep deficits high and keep reform to a minimum. Robert Bobb knew this and that's why he could Not improve DPS; he had to keep chaos going to derail DPS in an effort to move to a capitalist system [[for profit) which is the Charter School system. Mayor Bing is doing the same with the city.

Has anyone noticed that City Council's proposals are "draconian maximas" in the sense that they know that if they don't trump/surpass Bing's proposals that they will be out of a job when Detroit is taken over by an EFM.

From The Detroit Citizen newspaper [[Sun, Nov, 27, 2011):

To avoid an EM, City Council also proposed, Nov. 21, eliminating subsidies to the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History and the Detroit Institute of the Arts, the Detroit Zoo, Detroit Economic Growth Corporation, Eastern Market and Detroit Public School; outsourcing the Detroit Department of Transportation; increasing taxes on residents and nonresidents, sharing health department services; and getting the $15 million owed to the city on an electric bill from the cash-strapped Detroit Public Schools, which is currently under emergency management with a growing deficit of over $350 million.

Ummmm...am I having a brain fart or was it these institutions that council members fought tooth and nail to save just a couple years ago?

Now that councils job is on the line, everything they ever fought for is thrown under the bus to save THEIR JOBS!
    Just wanna make sure I understand...is your position that Bing is refusing to demand concessions and keep deficits high in an attempt to kill the union in the long run by bringing in an EFM?

Cuz if that's the case, then you can probably blame Kwame and Archer, too. The reality of the matter is that I don't forsee any of the unions making concessions at any level. While we and the press bicker over whose plan is better -- the mayor's vs. the city council's -- note that union reps are saying no to both plans.

So, in that sense, aren't they all to blame for the inevitable EFM?

Boy, is he going to be surprised when he finds out he won't be the EFM...and he'll be the only one surprised. What a delusional cad.

yeah, i dont see bing being named as EFM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Boy, is he going to be surprised when he finds out he won't be the EFM...and he'll be the only one surprised. What a delusional cad.
    I get the same feeling. Bing knows an EFM is the only politically viable option. Bing thinks he will ge the job. However, I feel that Snyder won't give the leader of a broken government MORE power.

The sad thing is that the Mayor and Council won't do what is needed. Instead "the man" will have to come in and do it for them, further perpetuating the victim-mentality, when in fact Detroit residents are victims of the people they elected, not of the state government that is being forced to take it over.

I honestly don't see why the media [[and it seems a few people have taken the talking point hook, line, and sinker) is getting away with this false equivalency. The mayor is clearly in the wrong, here, but we keep getting this bullsh%t talking point that they are both to blame. The city council has the right idea; they've had the right idea for at least a year, now, and Bing is the one that keeps thwarting attempts at real and difficult change. This is one issue where the city council is right, and the mayor is wrong. Period. Bing is relying on completely unrealistic scenarios to avoid immediate insolvency. How is anyone to pretend that they are both wrong, or that they are both equally wrong? Bings entire rescue rests on the unrealistic scenarios of extracting immediate union concessions and hundreds-of-millions of dollars from Lansing. Neither of those can realsitically happen within the two months alloted. It's impossible. The city council are proposing ridiculously unpopular things, but things that are actually possible. What Bing wants is impossible.

I don't know if this is because he seriously believes he can get the money from Lansing and the unions, or if this is his way of cynically forcing the city into the hands of the state, but either way, he's dead wrong and has handled this terrible. He doesn't deserve the EFM job after this shameful reality show he's starred in.

I honestly think Snyder is going to hand the city over to the likes of Penske, or some former DMC head, or maybe even Archer. No one is going to be happy.
    Last edited by Dexlin; November-26-11 at 01:04 AM.

. The city council are proposing ridiculously unpopular things, but things that are actually possible.
    I was always under the impression that the unions didn't like the council's approach either. Am I mistaken?

No one is going to be happy.
    I totally agree.

...but I'm not sure the goal right now is to make people happy.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I was always under the impression that the unions didn't like the council's approach either. Am I mistaken?
    Whether they like it or not, they can be layed off with a 60-day notice. Period. Trying to reopen multiple contracts right now, and have negotiations done by February ain't gonna happen. It's as simple as that. Again, Bing is proposing something that isn't going to realistically happen in the time he needs it to, and the council is proposing things that will be wildly unpopular but that could happen tomorrow.

BTW, the happiness comment was just an observation. I totally agree, that shouldn't be the goal, and that's another thing given the situation that'd be impossible, anyway.

Good posts Dexlin.

I agree with you that Bing's expectations are so unrealistic that they can't be given much weight as to being serious. When someone throws out seemingly unrealistic plans, and let's not forget that NOTHING has really been done in the past two years, it makes you believe that simply removing deficits is not the only agenda here.

I believe what's happening on an international level is also occurring at state and municipal levels of government. To get shocking change when moving government responsibilities from public to the for-profit private sector, you have to let things get bad...very bad. Seems to have happened in the edu-business field. Who has benefited from the consistent 10,000+/year loss in students? Bob Thompson and the rest of the edu-business crowd. Who will do the jobs of the 1,000 to 2,500 jobs in the city of Detroit that will be eliminated? The private sector for-profit. It would be a hard sell to do these things if all was rosy.
    Last edited by jhartmich; November-26-11 at 07:12 AM.

P.S. I disagree that it won't be Bing as EFM. I think he has a 50/50 shot. I think Snyder likes him and if sells a good story that he has tried everything but those "damn unions won't budge" story, he might be the man. I think he would like to be known as The Savior of Detroit. We'll soon see...

Well, whoever the EFM is, they will be well paid and allowed to bring on their own additionally well paid assistants [[posse) to 'reduce' expenditures.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-27-11 at 10:15 AM.

Yep, the unions are going to go thru the same thing DFT did regarding DPS. How they thought they were going to escape the extreme cuts coming? It's gonna be worse as it's going to be happen faster withstanding the 60 day notice. Which will get reduced to 30 days as it did with DPS as a concession the union had to give. This whole thing is going to be something else...
    Whether they like it or not, they can be layed off with a 60-day notice. Period. Trying to reopen multiple contracts right now, and have negotiations done by February ain't gonna happen. It's as simple as that. Again, Bing is proposing something that isn't going to realistically happen in the time he needs it to, and the council is proposing things that will be wildly unpopular but that could happen tomorrow.

BTW, the happiness comment was just an observation. I totally agree, that shouldn't be the goal, and that's another thing given the situation that'd be impossible, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jhartmich View Post
    P.S. I disagree that it won't be Bing as EFM. I think he has a 50/50 shot. I think Snyder likes him and if sells a good story that he has tried everything but those "damn unions won't budge" story, he might be the man. I think he would like to be known as The Savior of Detroit. We'll soon see...
    I think the odds are higher in favor of Bing. His selection will somewhat insulate Synder against anti-democratic outcries, hey you elected him, and undermined the charge of 'bringing an outsider', although some have argued that Bing is an outsider. Bing has pretty well carved out his stand particularly vs. the unions that the Republicans in Lansing want to hear. After him only Joe Harris seems a likely the choice. He understands the city of Detroit and its budget better than anybody else and sliced up Benton Harbor to Lansing's liking.

No matter who comes in as EFM - and that is certain to happen - I think the bigger question is, can Detroit be saved from receivership at all? What can an EFM do - even if the "new" EFM law stands, which it might not - that will be enough to prevent some sort of municipal bankruptcy? Detroit, even if it stops operating every single department right now, even if it lays off every police officer and firefighter and bus driver and bureaucrat, doesn't bring in enough money to pay bills it already owes for things which were done [[or agreements which were made) in the past.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    No matter who comes in as EFM - and that is certain to happen - I think the bigger question is, can Detroit be saved from receivership at all? What can an EFM do - even if the "new" EFM law stands, which it might not - that will be enough to prevent some sort of municipal bankruptcy? Detroit, even if it stops operating every single department right now, even if it lays off every police officer and firefighter and bus driver and bureaucrat, doesn't bring in enough money to pay bills it already owes for things which were done [[or agreements which were made) in the past.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
    I think it is a foregone conclusion that Detroit will have to file for bankruptcy via the state. The reason why no one wants bankruptcy is that every city, town, county in the state will be on the hook to bail out the 18th largest city in the United States when that happens. A EM can cut and cut and cut and cut but.....as long as no money is coming in and the EM will need to spend money to operate the city, Detroit will never get out of the hole.

I have an idea: the COD should do Bing's cuts PLUS the Council's cuts.

That might extend the collapse a few months.

I'd like to entertain the possibility for just a brief moment that perhaps Bing [[and even Snyder) might actually be sincere.

It is possible to have nascent agendas, and still do something good. [[In this case, try to right the ship of finance in Detroit.)

Humor me the occasional lashing out against those who see conspiracies everywhere. Maybe they're just trying to do their best.

What's best for Detroit?

I believe that council is trying to save their jobs. It appear to me that this council is making Monica Conyer's council look like the once savior of the city

Until the population losses are stopped and reversed there is never going to be a lasting financial solution generated by the City. If the drain of residents over the next 20 years continues at the same rate as the last 10 years [[which was 25%" per 10 years) by 2030 the population will be 400,000 who will still need predominantly the same services for the area that the current 713,000 can't afford today. Where will the money come from? I'm sure the current 11,0000 Public Sector Workers won't allow themselves to be reduced to 6000. The pensions of their predecessors must also continue to be paid at the same time. I can't see any solution other than re-population and an influx of Private Sector jobs.
    Last edited by coracle; November-27-11 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    Until somebody comes up with a solution to Detroit's population losses there is never going to be a lasting financial fix generated by Detroiters. If the drain on residents over the next 20 years is allowed to continue at the same level as the last 10 years [[which was 25%" per 10 years) by 2030 the population will be
    Right, it'll be dead.

And if anything, this financial crap may even acclerate the population decline further if not handled tactfully. That's why the claims that such as "If a system is broke, it needs to be completely overhauled" are full of bunk, and these folks don't have any clue how government and economics works. A government and municipality is not a small business, especially a government and municipality as big as Detroit.

Detroiters, those who live in 95%-98% of the rest of the city outside downtown, are sick of the crap and I'm not sure what person expects them to put up with it too much longer.

The city needs to find a way to increase residents and generate revenue without burdening the residents who are already here and are burdened enough.

*Lobby to reinstate the residency requirement [[state-level). There should also be something arranged where the city can do a frequent audit of sorts on these folks to make sure they are in fact residing at their residents in the city.
    *Eliminate property tax loopholes
    *Eliminate tax credits for corporations in downtown [[if they're truly dedicated to bringing back downtown, let them do it on their own).
    *Fire 60% of all employees at CAYMC. I'm referencing the redundant administrative workers.
    *Eliminate two of the council seats.
    *Cut their salairies by 60%, and elimnates all the perks such as private vehicles and security.
    *Keep the income tax for those who live in the city the same and raise them for those who work in the city but live outside the city to 3.5%.
    *Place a ban on anymore suburban development, unless all the already developed land is occupied [[state-level)
    *Give away city-owned property for free and forgive past tax liabilities.
    *Completely outsoure the accounting department to Paychex and a Big 4 Accounting Firm.
    *Put in place a maximum weight limit for Detroit police officers and require that only so many work at the police precinct at any given time while the rest are out patrolling the streets [[by foot or in cruister).
    *Instead of sending people to jail or fining them for drug posession, make them work without pay for the city during the duration of their sentence.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-27-11 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I'd like to entertain the possibility for just a brief moment that perhaps Bing [[and even Snyder) might actually be sincere.
    Yes, I agree. I feel that Bing is sincerely trying to do his best in handling this tough situation.

The economic situation is constantly made worse by the fact that those with economic means continue to move out leaving a continually poorer city behind, with a larger and larger portion of those citizens contributing little or nothing to the tax base. A city of a half million will probably provide a third of the revenue that 1 million did.

The city residents WITH jobs cannot continue to provide the tax base for those without jobs. We need to go full speed ahead with reducing property taxes to bring more people into the city. The new residents will pay 2.5 - 3% income tax and will spend their earned dollars more proportionately in the city they live, thus lifting all local businesses. We also need to tax nonresidents at 3 - 3.5%. Too many come to the city for work but spend no money after work and simply drive back to the suburbs. I also agree with many that residency should be brought back either officially or <wink, wink> unofficially. Having an interest in the city you work/live in is not such a bad thing.

The plans being put forward by the Mayor and Council won't solve Detroit's problems except for a few months Then they'll have to start over again. Drastic measures are needed to save this Beautiful City that can't afford to run itself and grow
    There is no way large numbers of people can be persuaded to move into the neighborhoods to increase it's tax base sufficiently to run the City day to day without continual strife; let alone develop it. Therefore why not levy a Detroit Development Tax on all Michigan inhabitants and put in a State Development Panel to oversee it's spending so that some KK type don't get their hands on it, and work towards returning the City to a level of inhabitants it had 50/60 years ago? Bring in Private Sector jobs [[but not from the suburbs); rebuild the burned down dwellings and install proper public transportation [[not gimmicks like the People mover) and really connect it to the suburbs and Airport. In addition to making Detroit beautiful again it would create many thousands of jobs for maybe 10/20 years or more and benefit Michigan by solving a perennial problem. If it isn't done willingly now it will forced on us in the not too distant future.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast