Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 1962 - Ship capsized in Detroit River under Ambassador - also gas storage tanks?

I was scanning some slides my father took which were developed in 1962, these 2 show a ship being righted in the Detroit River under the Ambassador and also a pair of gasometer style storage tanks plus smoke stacks near the bridge, anyone out there have any info on the name of the ship?

Were were the gas tanks [[if that's what they were) and smoke stacks? Was there a power plant there?

Final one is a hazy shot of downtown, sorry for the quality

Name:  PICT0013.jpg
Views: 4591
Size:  15.5 KBName:  PICT0012.jpg
Views: 4566
Size:  16.5 KBName:  PICT0023.jpg
Views: 4182
Size:  11.0 KB

This 2006 DYes thread
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1141846440
    had some mention of this 1962 incident in which the Montrose hit a barge and sank near the Ambassador Bridge.

Here's a link to a Detroit News story on the subject: http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=164

The gas tanks and stacks were at the foot of 23rd. It was one of Detroit City Gas Co's gas manufacturing plants. The company quit making gas once the Panhandle Pipeline was completed to Detroit in 1936.

I went by the Montrose on the Bob-Lo boat, before they got that removed from the river.

The Montrose in a later life.

Another link with great pictures.

No wonder she was salvaged and restored to service. The ship was only a year old a tie time of the capsizing.After the Detroit river incident she still had a lot of spunk and sailed the seas for another 20 years. until...

On May 16, 1982, the vessel left Colombo, Sri Lanka, having been sold to Pakistan ship breakers for a price in the region of $83 ltd. A slow passage it would appear, since only on Nov. 3, 1982, did the vessel arrive at the Gadani Beach, Pakistan, ship breaking facilities of Tawakkal Ltd., to be broken up.
    Source.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; November-26-11 at 12:51 PM.

Default Photo from the Canadian side, from the Bob-Lo boat

My grandmother took photos from the Bob-Lo boat of the Montrose and one was used in a TV news report as they couldn't find any [[quickly, at least) taken from the Canadian side close enough to show the ship clearly- at the 1:27 point in this newsclip, it starts before that mentioning NOT going to that side...but maybe grandma was there first?

The photo- Name:  Montrose-4.jpg
Views: 2925
Size:  74.3 KB

Default People on the bridge, which was closed to pedestrians for a while.

Funny, this slide my dad took shows people walking on the bridge, they closed the walkway for a while as too many were leaning way over to take pictures.
    Name:  Montrose-2.jpg
Views: 2754
Size:  55.0 KB

I believe the ship's bell from the Montrose is still an artifact of the Dossn Museum.

Here are some additional pictures, along with a story about a remembrance ceremony that was held at the J.W. Westcott dock on July 30, 2012 to mark the 50 year anniversary of the sinking.

http://www.detroitlodge7.org/Montrose.html

Here's a picture my dad took of the Montrose.

Name:  SS Montrose in Detroit River.jpg
Views: 4343
Size:  61.9 KB

catch22- your dad must have used Kodachrome! Great color with a little of the 'Kodachrome fungus'- mine too, the Kodachromes dad shot. Dad used a mix of films before settling on Kodachrome then finally to print films.

Quote Originally Posted by xdet View Post
    catch22- your dad must have used Kodachrome! Great color with a little of the 'Kodachrome fungus'- mine too, the Kodachromes dad shot. Dad used a mix of films before settling on Kodachrome then finally to print films.
    Good eye.

Most of my dad's slides are Kodachrome. A few rolls are Ektachrome but those have not aged well, sad to day.