Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Finally I am a Chess Grandmaster

...with a lot of help from a lot of friends.

I play in games on ChessGames.com that pit a for-real chess grandmaster against the crowd, all players who wish to sign up to play and collectively vote the move.

The current game is against Armenian Grandmaster Varuzhan Akobian. We are at move 28 playing black and it is our move. The front-running move is Rook to C2 square attacking the white queen who can only escape to 4 [red x] squares, none of them comfortable. This move has over 90% of the votes as of today and is certain to be played.

Name:  chessmove.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  66.4 KB

We have the upper hand and, at the very least, could likely force a draw. So far our crowd is undefeated although, like most games at the grandmaster level, the majority of the games are draws. But considering the we play black, ergo move second, it is an even more impressive showing.

It beautifully demonstrates the power of collective wisdom, even though none of the players may compare to the opponent as a whole, we are equal or better. It is similar to how the collective knowledge of this forum about Detroit, is far greater even the most knowledgeable historian or journalist even though they may know far more than any one of us.

Congratulations, Lowell!

And thanks for the ChessGames.com suggestion. I bookmarked it.

As a wood pusher who could never even come near of being a good player, congratulations. I haven't played since my brother died a couple years back. Last time, we played three games. He beat me all within a dozen or eighteen moves.

That's great, Lowell. I picked up the game about a year and a half ago, and while I am still not very good, I enjoy it quite a bit.

Rc2 was indeed voted and played. We are awaiting white's reply.

One of the interesting moves that is being tossed around in the kibitzer comments below the board involves a queen sacrifice Qxh3 [black Queen captures the h3 pawn] if black moves his queen to b4 to force a draw.

Qb4 Qxh3
    PxQ Nxf3 check

Kf1 [forced as Kh8 is met with Rh7 checkmate]

Black now has white in a perpetual check draw as his King can only move to f1 and g1, while black's knight checks him with Ng2 and Nf3.

A group of chess enthusiasts checked into a hotel, and were standing in the lobby discussing their recent tournament victories. After about an hour, the manager came out of the office, and asked them to disperse.
    "But why," they asked, as they moved off.
    "Because," he said. "I can't stand chess-nuts boasting in an open foyer."

Sorry, Lowell....couldn't resist........

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    A group of chess enthusiasts checked into a hotel, and were standing in the lobby discussing their recent tournament victories. After about an hour, the manager came out of the office, and asked them to disperse.

Vegas host a lot of major chess tournaments, so it is isn't surprising. As for boasting, it is probably a lot like gamblers. You always hear about their winning nights and rarely about the other more numerous nights. In chess, for every winner there is a lose and unless those run-off players were all super-grandmasters [essentially the top ten in the world] they are all losers at the next steps up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

Grrroooaaannnn!!

Stromberg2

Grrroooaaannnn!!

Stromberg2
    Very good Lowell,

That was something that I really got into in the fifth and sixth grades, but then the 60's came along, and I was trying to figure out "White Rabbit", and Pink Floyd, and yadda, yadda, and so on.

Now instead of puzzles, or games, my love is intense 17th - 20th Century history. [[And it's already been done for me!). Just another option for everybody.

Anyway, you have achieved what very few people have done. Excelsior!

Total duration 59 minites: How To Win At Chess [[BBC Documentary)

Pins, skewers and forks are covered. It's rare to find a video about the game done this well.