Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Most Dangerous Areas

Any particular areas you wouldn't want to get lost at?

Bearinabox Guest

Woodbridge. I've spent time in just about every part of the city, and the one time I got robbed it was at Forest and Avery.

Miz, are you visiting for the Final Four? Or visiting for any particular other reason?

Woodbridge? I hope your not serious .. . Out of all the places in Detroit. . . April Fools Joke?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    Woodbridge? I hope your not serious .. . Out of all the places in Detroit. . . April Fools Joke?
    I am serious that I spend time in many different parts of the city on a fairly regular basis, and that the only time I've ever been robbed was in Woodbridge. I'm facetiously extrapolating my personal experience to mean that Woodbridge is more dangerous than other parts of the city, in an attempt to make a mockery of the whole question "what are the most dangerous parts of Detroit, " because I think it's kind of a dumb question. Got it?

The most dangerous? I'd say Michigan Ave, from downtown to Dearborn, anywhere near rush hour. People drive like there are no defined lanes! It's downright scary... one guy in front of you doing 12 mph, while another is coming up from behind doing 60 and changing lanes with no rhyme or reason.

dosee Guest

Birmingham any where near Maple, Old Woodward and Southfield Road after dark if your are a Black male and young....

Vandyke/94 area isn't the greatest for sure!

I would be careful between Grosse Pointe and Livonia and from the River up to Ferndale

Quote Originally Posted by dosee View Post
    Birmingham any where near Maple, Old Woodward and Southfield Road after dark if your are a Black male and young....
    Let the suburbs vs. city battling being at the new DetroitYES!

It's gotten us far thus far!

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by irish_mafia View Post
    I would be careful between Grosse Pointe and Livonia and from the River up to Ferndale
    So stick to Warrendale and Southwest and you'll be fine.

My block

Michigan & Livernois after dark!

Council Chambers and offices, any intersection Martha Reeves is approaching, and being in the same room with Monica Conyers and LBP.

I figure any area that a Detroiter is unfamiliar with will seem more dangerous than others.

For me, it was the North End, and certain areas on the East Side... and neither of those until very recently. My sister's boyfriend lived in the North End, and we knew people all up and down the East Side. Even while teaching at Cass Tech, I got my hair done in some really seedy areas.

Until perhaps 10 years ago, the only places I was wary of in the city during daylight hours were:

--the projects [[before they tore those down)
    --places I knew were crack houses

That's about it. As I always told my out-of-town friends, "it looks worse than it actually is".

But after 4 years in Ann Arbor, I'm starting to get soft and skittish whenever I go into the neighborhoods outside the CBD. Even my own block was starting to change back in 2004/5. And four years later, it's almost unrecognizable. But unlike a lot of folks who are middle or upper class and living outside of Detroit, as a Detroit native, I know that it's not that the city's changed so drastically... it's that I've changed.

As far as the suburbs? Now, THAT's where I used to be nervous... and I'm a lady! Growing up in CAY-era Detroit, I heard all kinds of things about being caught in certain communities after dark. Now I'm just fine -- still can't pay me to go "up North", though!

I agree that anywhere near Monica Conyers could be dangerous. You just never know what could get tossed at you within that woman's proximity.

Default I vot for livernois and tireman area

I worked there when I was younger and it was scary then. Anyone know if the Commercial Steel Treating plant building is still there?

Sorry. LIVERNOIS AND TIREMAN area [[I had put that in the title, but I guess that doesnt get posted)

lol.. no i'm from Michigan. Currently live in Farmington but i've stayed awhile at Mack and Moross and Wyoming and Tireman. I find the Joy Rd. areas between Wyoming and Telegraph to be pretty dangerous. ALOT of drug trafficking [[especially those coming from the suburbs) Also Second/Seward areas even though you have quite a few Wayne Staters staying in the apts closest to the end of the block.

ALL unless you are riding in an APC [[armored personnel carrier).

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    Wyoming and Tireman.
    Back in the early 90's, I helped open the Arbor Drugs [[I assume there is a CVS there now) at Wyoming and Tireman. Of all of the locations I helped set up [[there were a few) this was the only location were they had security before the store was even open for business. On their opening day, the store was open for business for less than 1/2 hour before we had the police there taking away the first shoplifter. After working there for a couple more days, I never set foot back in the building.

i was lost one night [[well, morning really-- it was 2am) around the wyoming/tireman area. i had just moved to detroit and got lost driving home from a party in woodbridge [[!). anyways, i stopped at a liquor store in the tireman/wyoming area [[only thing really open) to ask for directions and the clerk said to me "get in your car and get out of here as fast as you can." uh, ok... then he told me to wait in my car because he got off work in 15 minutes and he would help me get home.

scare the sh*t of me and then offer to guide me home? no thanks.

Avoide my driveway near E. Warren/Outer Drive. I was held up at gunpoint once after I put my car in the garage. So I'm a suburbanite now following that fun.

I first came to Detroit in 1994 as a freshman at Michigan Christian College in Rochester Hills. My hometown in the Ohio Firelands, a sleepy little university town of less than 20,000 residents, resembles a Norman Rockwell painting.

Detroit scared the hell out of me. When driving through the city on I-75 to or from home, I would put the hammer down to get through as fast as I could. The only thing cruising faster than my 90 mph were the prayers on my lips. The heart palpitations did not stop until I saw the Oakland Mall sign northbound or the outlet mall southbound.

My 18-year old fresh-off-the-farm self would be thunderstruck to learn that 15 years later, getting lost in Detroit is one of my favorite things to do.

I agree that the area by Outer Drive and Warren is spooky, especially off the beaten path. I've been over in there at night and saw enough to know that I don't want to go back. I read about a lot of bad stuff going down in the area between Seven Mile and Eight Mile close to the Chrysler Freeway. Based on my observations driving through there a few times, those rumors have some substance.

Woodward and Jefferson, You never know when Monica Conyers is going to come out of that building on the corner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast