Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Payment for Wayne County Jury Duty

I served jury duty in Wayne County on February 8, 2011. I was not selected for a jury. My certification form states that I was to receive $25. I have yet to see my $25. This is not the first time.

I thought they were supposed to send me the check, but do you have to go and claim it somewhere? Or is this my contribution to the Re-Elect Ficano Fund?

I am amazed they still pay people for that. For that kind of dough the paperwork is not worth it. Maybe they should just have a cash office and hand everyone $25 as they leave for the day? Whenever I've been called to serve at Frank Murphy, I have to turn it over to my employer.

Don't feel bad it happen to me 2 years ago in Palm Beach County FL and no phone nuber to call its a scam everywhere in the USA your civic duty to get screwed

They still pay cash money in Oakland County, last I heard.

Macomb Co. sent me a check, once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I served jury duty in Wayne County on February 8, 2011. I was not selected for a jury. My certification form states that I was to receive $25. I have yet to see my $25. This is not the first time.

I thought they were supposed to send me the check, but do you have to go and claim it somewhere?
    Have you called them to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I am amazed they still pay people for that. For that kind of dough ....
    Last I knew, the Feds paid $50/day, plus parking, plus mileage, plus provided lunch.

I served on a jury at the 36th district in 1996. They paid me then! Is it me, or has the 36th District become even more a circus now than it was 15 years ago....

Jurors should be paid more. Jurors have to disrupt their lives for a pittance under penalty of law. In some cases, they are at risk of revenge for their decision. Meanwhile everybody else in the room is getting paid normally, some very handsomely.

Jury duty is an enslavement of sorts. It is a penalty for being a voter. But, as a strong believer in the rule of law, I understand the necessity and have served without reservation.

I'm not saying make it profitable, but a $100 a day plus parking seems reasonable. That's not a lot, just a little over $12 an hour for an 8 hour day, still a loss for the big majority of jurors.

How is it a loss? Most employers make up the difference between Jury pay and the normal wage for the employee. Some pay the normal wage and let you keep the Jury pay also.

You don't have to be a voter to go on jury duty all you have to be is a driver

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Jurors should be paid more. Jurors have to disrupt their lives for a pittance under penalty of law. In some cases, they are at risk of revenge for their decision. Meanwhile everybody else in the room is getting paid normally, some very handsomely.

Jury duty is an enslavement of sorts. It is a penalty for being a voter. But, as a strong believer in the rule of law, I understand the necessity and have served without reservation.

I'm not saying make it profitable, but a $100 a day plus parking seems reasonable. That's not a lot, just a little over $12 an hour for an 8 hour day, still a loss for the big majority of jurors.
    jury duty is THE most important civic action a person can do, 12 people hold the entire law in their hands, its more important than voting or any other civic duty....

research jury nullification and presedent, the decisions of a jury have ramifications for the future...

now if we could just get an informed jurt to sit on a case involving federal income tax........

I got my check from the 36th Circuit but it took a while.

I don't mind Jury Duty, but in the past 7 years, my household has had to serve 7 times.

I don't know if they are picking people from my household based on demographics because I live in Grosse Pointe, but its just not right that my household has been called upon 7 times to serve.

We have had no issues getting paid

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    How is it a loss? Most employers make up the difference between Jury pay and the normal wage for the employee. Some pay the normal wage and let you keep the Jury pay also.
    That is fine for those who have employers with a conscience. But for others who don't or those who own their own businesses, like me, or are self-employed it is a loss. For all the potential risk is there no matter what.

And, BTW, I have never had an issue getting paid.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post

I thought they were supposed to send me the check, but do you have to go and claim it somewhere? Or is this my contribution to the Re-Elect Ficano Fund?
    It's supposed to be mailed to you. You should contact the Clerk's office for status, although, you should have had this many months ago.