Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default How Friendly Is Detroit to Entrepreneurs and Small Businesses?

I'm going to put my search for a stately manor in Detroit on hold for a while and bring before you a topic of an entrepreneurial nature. I thank all of you who responded to my two previous posts about the delightful old houses for sale in La Salle Gardens and the University District. You all are a lively, at times witty, bunch with lots to say about nearly anything. On occasion, however, you tend to take things a bit too far and start squabbling and calling each other names. Maybe you should rename this forum DEBATE DETROIT! To outsiders like myself and poor Zeyrek, the Swedish guy, it's like being at a dinner party and having to listen to the host and hostess arguing at the dinner table in front of all their guests. But I must commend all of you for being such good writers and using correct grammar and spelling. As an English teacher, I value such things and always notice them.

When I return to the U.S. from the Middle East, I want to have my own business, having grown weary of pleasing my bosses and feeling the entrepreneurial spirit within me. I was curious to know what the situation is like in Detroit for people who want to start a small business. My dream is to have a restaurant that has a floor show with dancing girls performing cabaret numbers. On a less grand scale, I've also considered having a swanky cafe that also serves gelato in a myriad of flavors. I don't know if Detroit would even be able to support businesses like that considering the present economy. As I take a virtual tour of Detroit on Google, I see a lot of vacant businesses and shops, and I find that really discouraging. So, my two questions today are...

Can Detroit support a cafe or a restaurant of this sort?

What would be the ideal location for a cafe or a restaurant?

Now, if I could find a forum that specialized in small businesses in Detroit, that would be ideal, but in the absence of such a forum, I'll ask you all for your thoughts on the subject. I'd like to think that Detroit would welcome entrepreneurs with open arms as they would create new jobs, but my more pragmatic side is telling me otherwise. I've even considered living in Detroit and opening up my business in one of the suburbs, but I don't know how feasible that would be, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabian Antonio View Post
    You all are a lively, at times witty, bunch with lots to say about nearly anything. On occasion, however, you tend to take things a bit too far and start squabbling and calling each other names. Maybe you should rename this forum DEBATE DETROIT! .
    This is truly the definition of DetroitYES!

Well, take everything you have heard about owning a home and change the word home to business. There, all done.

I'm going to put my search for a stately manor in Detroit on hold for a while and bring before you a topic of an entrepreneurial nature. I thank all of you who responded to my two previous posts about the delightful old houses for sale in La Salle Gardens and the University District. You all are a lively, at times witty, bunch with lots to say about nearly anything. On occasion, however, you tend to take things a bit too far and start squabbling and calling each other names. Maybe you should rename this forum DEBATE DETROIT! To outsiders like myself and poor Zeyrek, the Swedish guy, it's like being at a dinner party and having to listen to the host and hostess arguing at the dinner table in front of all their guests. But I must commend all of you for being such good writers and using correct grammar and spelling. As an English teacher, I value such things and always notice them.

When I return to the U.S. from the Middle East, I want to have my own business, having grown weary of pleasing my bosses and feeling the entrepreneurial spirit within me. I was curious to know what the situation is like in Detroit for people who want to start a small business. My dream is to have a restaurant that has a floor show with dancing girls performing cabaret numbers. On a less grand scale, I've also considered having a swanky cafe that also serves gelato in a myriad of flavors. I don't know if Detroit would even be able to support businesses like that considering the present economy. As I take a virtual tour of Detroit on Google, I see a lot of vacant businesses and shops, and I find that really discouraging. So, my two questions today are...

Now, if I could find a forum that specialized in small businesses in Detroit, that would be ideal, but in the absence of such a forum, I'll ask you all for your thoughts on the subject. I'd like to think that Detroit would welcome entrepreneurs with open arms as they would create new jobs, but my more pragmatic side is telling me otherwise. I've even considered living in Detroit and opening up my business in one of the suburbs, but I don't know how feasible that would be, either.
    So you want to open a strip club?

You shouldn't have any problem opening up one of those. If anything, your problem will be the stiff competition.

Probably your best bet would be a location inside Grand Blvd., somewhere near WSU, or near Greektown, or near Corktown-

I could be wrong, but don't the current plans for the theater renovation @ Woodward and Alexandrine include a cabaret????

Hee! He! Just what we need! ROTFL!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

You shouldn't have any problem opening up one of those. If anything, your problem will be the stiff competition.

I agree. Just factor in business taxes per area and kind of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Well, take everything you have heard about owning a home and change the word home to business. There, all done.

HAHAHA...stiff competition....HAHA!

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    HAHAHA...stiff competition....HAHA!

Stromberg2
    Heh, I guess that one flew over my head.

AA, to you it might not be a strip club, but to everyone else, the neighbors, the neighboring businesses, the local churches, the city council, it sounds like a strip club. And once you get the churches on board against anything resembling a strip club, prepare for a couple years worth of headache. Hell, the easiest part will be getting the Zoning Board of Appeals on your side, since they understand the value of commerce. Your problem will be convincing everyone else.

Gelatto sounds great. That's the least of your problems.

I would be in full support of your venture if you were considering opening up a bakery, pharmacy, hardware store, coffee shop, bagel shop or a household store; but this city has too many strip clubs especially in all of the wrong places. You would probably have a better chance of opening a club than you would opening the other businesses that I had listed. Those businesses don't sale liquor and the dance or strip club does. The state and city profit off the liquor tax. It is sad but true. That is why you have more busineeses opening downtown that sell liquor and no busineeses opening that are family oriented and friendly.. I can't wish you luck on that venue.

Since you're an English teacher and appreciate "correct" grammer instead of strip clubs and cafes maybe you should consider opening a literacy program.

The Hawaiian Tropic Zone restaurants in NYC and Vegas were similar to what he describes, but those weren't strip clubs. Basically it was scantily clad waitresses who performed dance routines and modeling competitions on stage in addition to serving patrons. Both the NYC and Vegas locations were shut down last year. [[One of the waitresses that I met in the NYC location was a native Detroiter and Cass Tech graduate...)

They also have burlesque shows in NYC that are similar in concept to what he's describing. Not quite a strip club, but more than what you see at your neighborhood Hooters.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    The Hawaiian Tropic Zone restaurants in NYC and Vegas were similar to what he describes, but those weren't strip clubs. Basically it was scantily clad waitresses who performed dance routines and modeling competitions on stage in addition to serving patrons. Both the NYC and Vegas locations were shut down last year. [[One of the waitresses that I met in the NYC location was a native Detroiter and Cass Tech graduate...)

They also have burlesque shows in NYC that are similar in concept to what he's describing. Not quite a strip club, but more than what you see at your neighborhood Hooters.
    It's all pretty much in the same ballpark.

Most would agree Detroit can do without anymore of these establishments. In fact, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of this simply being a troll post, considering the OP hasn't posted anything else and given the preface they had in their post. If someone who was serious about opening a business in Detroit, they should try some of the suggestions statsu provided.

It's all pretty much in the same ballpark.

Most would agree Detroit can do without anymore of these establishments. In fact, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of this simply being a troll post, considering the OP hasn't posted anything else and given the preface they had in their post. If someone who was serious about opening a business in Detroit, they should try some of the suggestions statsu provided.
    Yeah, this is a troll post.

But to be clear HTZ was not a strip club... And that sounds closest in concept to what the o/p described [[despite it being a troll post). In fact, I don't think anything like it exists in Metro Detroit. The NYC location was right next to the former Lehman Brothers headquarters and a substantial amount of their customers were workers from Lehman who ate there during lunch or after work.

I would suggest opening one in Downtown Birmingham. There are none of those places around there and they have lots of disposable income.

Hmm, bring on the dancing girls! I think there are such clubs in the middle eastern parts of town. They offer raqs sharqi, usually after 10 pm. Of course they serve dinners and drinks as well.