Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Matick Chevrolet-was that building always a car showroom?

I recall walking the indoor showroom with my Dad back in the 80's. Every time I pass the place I often wonder if it was a shopping center or something prior to it being Matick Chevrolet? Anyone know?

I believe it was a Farmer Jack or some grocery chain at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I believe it was a Farmer Jack or some grocery chain at one time.
    Yep, I think it was a Farmer Jack. It was a nice showroom in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    I recall walking the indoor showroom with my Dad back in the 80's. Every time I pass the place I often wonder if it was a shopping center or something prior to it being Matick Chevrolet? Anyone know?
    Matick Chevy was on Joy Rd in Detroit and wanted to relocate.
    To stay within their territory, the only lot big enough for a car dealer was the Closed Topps Department store at Schoolcraft/Telegraph.
    Most unusual- they were only allowed to fence off THEIR end of
    the plaza. Farmer Jack operated a store at the south end of the plaza
    for several years until the lease expired. Matick has since expanded
    into the former grocery also.

Now does anyone have pics???
    Glad my hunch was right all these years!

Yes it was a Topps and an FJ. There was also a Topps at Greenfield and Joy which would have been closer, but at the time that Matick moved that was an enourmous toy store. They may have sold other things, but when I went there I was about eight, so who cared about anything but toys? Ironically a few years later the Greenfield store become an enourmous FJ!

I grew up near the Old Mattick dealership. It was tiny and would not survive if it had not moved. It had lots and storefronts strewn all over the neighborhood in order to store cars. The Body shop was across Joy Rd, used cars were several blocks away. It must have been tough to run a business that way. I can remember walking up there with dad to pick up the Impala Wagon. Dad always went for the pimp cars, so I asked him why he did not get the Caprice? He smiled and explained that the engine in the impala was faster and it came with special shocks in the rear he could jack up for towning the camper [[or whenever he wanted to look like a bad-ass!).

Most of the Topps stores looked very similar. I am sure you could find them online somewhere.

If the latter was a Matick Chevrolet, the former must have been a Manuel Chevrolet.