Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Joe Vision

Default Joe Vision

Are they showing the road games at the Joe? If not, why not.

They are only going to show the games that could be possible cup winners.

I was there last year for the winner, fun times.Go Wings!

From what I heard on Valenti & Foster today, it has something to do with the NBC contract. Dunno. It's silly to me and weren't the gate receipts from JoeVision going towards charity? I could be wrong about that though.

Hmmm, interesting. Versus shows the Pittsburgh crowd outside of the igloo every damned time the sinkin' Pens score, but due to an NBC contract Detroit can't do Joe Vision? Something's fishy in Gary Buttman's NHL to me...

From the Freep:

"The word is there will be JoeVision on Thursday for Game 4 only if the Wings win tonight, making Game 4 a potential Cup-clincher. The same holds true for Game 6: if the Wings have a 3-2 lead going into that game, the arena will be open for fans to watch the game on the big screens."

Here is the Freep article where I got my info:

http://www.freep.com/article/2009060...Joe+for+Game+3

Quote Originally Posted by Hornist9 View Post
    Hmmm, interesting. Versus shows the Pittsburgh crowd outside of the igloo every damned time the sinkin' Pens score, but due to an NBC contract Detroit can't do Joe Vision? Something's fishy in Gary Buttman's NHL to me...
    Agreed. And didn't they used to show the road games for the conference final and finals. They also used to have a local band warm up the crowd before the game, too. Like that Kinks song says, "Where have all the good times gone"?

No Joe Vision for Game 6.

No online media reports but there's a thread about it here:

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/in...pic=58952&st=0

ABC needs to get the contract back atleast then we could have JoeVision which is always a blast!

Well, looks like I'll be watching Game 6 on DaveVision. The CBC picture isn't that great, but the commentary more than makes up for it.

Too bad there isn't a "playoff beard" smiley.

The NHL keeps finding new and different ways to alienate its fans.

diver1369 Guest

Shame on NBC and the NHL for putting money before the goodwill towards the fans who support the game season-long. I'll be watching the game on CBC who respect ALL the hockey fans by showing the singing of each country's National Anthems before the start of the game rather than cash in that time for commercial interests. NBC went to a commercial during the National Anthem on the 65th anniversary of the D-Day invasion.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...Wings-Penguins

For anyone interested, NBC's decision maker on blocking Joe Vison is Mr. Brian Walker.

I'm sure he'd love to hear from you:

brian.walker@nbcuni.com

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alsodave View Post
    Well, looks like I'll be watching Game 6 on DaveVision. The CBC picture isn't that great, but the commentary more than makes up for it.

Too bad there isn't a "playoff beard" smiley.

Last year at the winning game, JoeVision broadcasted CBC's coverage, why can't they broadcast CBC?

Blarf Guest

They can't block out the game in bars and retaurants. Why can't Joe Louis Arena just declare itself a bar for a night and show the game?

And be sure to ask Brian Walker why the Pittsburgh fans get to watch the game outside the Igloo. Makes no sense.

Just read that the Pittsburgh fans won't see the game outside the Igloo now either. Bettman gave NBC way to much control, and they don't even pay for the broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by diver1369 View Post
    Shame on NBC and the NHL for putting money before the goodwill towards the fans who support the game season-long. I'll be watching the game on CBC who respect ALL the hockey fans by showing the singing of each country's National Anthems before the start of the game rather than cash in that time for commercial interests. NBC went to a commercial during the National Anthem on the 65th anniversary of the D-Day invasion.
    Nothing new there, is there?
    I liked Don Cherry showing photos taken as the Canadian troops landed on DDay.
    When he remarked that the house on the beach was still there today, I shook my head, thinking of the thousands of homes in Detroit that have fallen since then!

CBC rules!

diver1369 Guest

CBC rules![/QUOTE]

At the beginning of last Saturday's broadcast, CBC showed a group of fans singing the Canadian National Anthem, O Canada!, dressed in the colors of their favorite team but all together expressing their national pride. And NBC couldn't find the time to acknowledge the significance of the day nor show our National Anthem being sung to start the evening. I notice the same thing happens with Fox Sports cable TV coverage of the Tigers. It's just more commercial time to be reaped for them.

Apparently the NHL is encouraging NBC and CBC not to give broadcast rights to JoeVision.

A source familiar with the rights negotiations said the NHL asked NBC and CBC not to allow the Wings to broadcast the game.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009060...ens%20Game%206

Everyone bashing NBC needs to take a step back. As raptor just posted, the NHL basically told NBC and CBC not to broadcast the games to fans in Joe Louis or outside Mellon Arena. So the blame needs to go yet again to Gary Bettman, who has proven himself to be the most inept commissioner in sports of probably all-time. The destruction he has done to the sport is incredible. This league went from a thriving business to an afterthought... from multiple weekly games on ESPN to now actually PAYING NBC to broadcast the games! He's moved teams from Winnipeg, Minnesota and Quebec, and relocated them in places like Dallas and Phoenix. He expanded the league when contraction made the most sense. I could go on and on but I'll just stop here.

yeah, but if you read the article it is kinda nbc's fault...they're contract with the nhl is the problem

"A spokesman for NBC declined comment. However, Bernadette Mansur, senior vice president of communications for the NHL, said one of the league's contractual agreements with NBC is that clubs will not hold viewing parties in their arenas."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast