Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 39th Annual Noel Night Saturday, December 3rd - Mark Your Calendar!!

It's coming up fast...a week from Saturday, so wanted to make sure you don't miss this year's...

39th Annual Noel Night in the Cultural Center, Saturday, December 3, 2011, 5pm-9:30pm. Over 45 institutions, including the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Detroit Science Center, the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, the Detroit Historical Museum, and the Detroit Public Library, among many others, open their doors to the public free of charge during this Cultural Center-wide holiday "open house." Activities include horse-drawn carriage rides, holiday shopping, family activities and performances by over 70 area music, theatre, and dance groups. The evening's festivities culminate with a community sing-along on Woodward Avenue led by the Salvation Army Band — a long-standing Noel Night tradition. Noel Night activities take place in and around Midtown Detroit's Cultural Center institutions, primarily between Cass and John R and Kirby and Willis. Free shuttle service is offered between participating venues. Convenient parking is available in area lots. For more information, call 313.577.5088 or http://www.detroitmidtown.com/05/noelnight.php

Hope to see you there.

Noel Night Highlight #1

This is often my first stop of the evening....

Cathedral Church of St. Paul
    Woodward at Hancock

The Pewabic tile in the Sanctuary is among the most beautiful installations!!

The relics and wood carvings are stunning!!

Take a tour [[5:15), learn the history of the church [[7:15), attend an organ recital [[6:30 or 7:30).

The Live Nativity Scene is a wonder to behold!!

Kathleen, what are some of the not to be missed highlights? I'm ashamed to say I've never been, but I think I'm going with the family this year.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Kathleen, what are some of the not to be missed highlights? I'm ashamed to say I've never been, but I think I'm going with the family this year.

Stromberg2

Watch this thread....I'll post a new Highlight each day.

Noel Night Highlight #2

Wayne State University
    Gordon Grosscup Museum of Anthropology
    1227 Old Main [[enter from Hancock St.)

See some of their "Best of" pieces including some terrific Detroit archeological finds!!

Noel Night Highlight #3

The Inn on Ferry Street

The Inn's John Scott House [[designed by John Scott for his family home; he also designed several nearby houses as well as the Wayne County Bldg.) is open for self-guided tours. Enjoy holiday refreshments and music!!!

Noel Night Highlight #4

Detroit Artists Market

This place is great for doing some Christmas shopping [[for all budgets big and small) while enjoying some wine and good music!!!

Noel Night Highlight #5

Detroit Historical Museum

Lots of family activities here....

The Madame Cadillac Dancers
    Monica Blair sings a Holiday edition of her Adventures in Sound
    The YMCA Deep River Choir
    Streets of Old Detroit
    Glancy Trains
    ...and more!!!

and outside in the Bank One Plaza, the St. Paul Lutheran Hand Bell Choir

Noel Night Highlight #6

Ice Sculptures by student teams representing Wayne State University and the College for Creative Studies, under the direction of world-class ice sculptor, Tayana Raukar, who will also demonstrate and create her own sculpture.

Takes place right in front of the Detroit Institute of Art.
    Last edited by Kathleen; November-29-11 at 07:49 PM.

Noel Night Highlight #7

The Scarab Club!

So much to see.....Art! Music! Books! Food! More music! Artist studio lofts!

Noel Night Highlight #8

First Congregational Church
    Woodward at Forest

Art and Architecture....this is a stunning house of worship!!
    History....Underground Railroad Tours
    Music...special holiday performance, Go Tell It On The Mountain, by renowned gospel ensemble The Blind Boys of Alabama
    Dance...authentic flamenco dance performance by La Chispa

Uggh. I am almost heart broken i cant attend I have tried to make it Noel Night the past 3 years and ALWAYS something else comes up.

Noel Night Highlight #9

College for Creative Studies annual Student and Alumni Art Sale in the Walter B. Ford II Bldg.

Blacksmithing and Glass blowing demonstrations in the Josephine Ford Sculpture Garden.

I always try to start Noel Night with a new location...one year...I made the mistake of starting at the library...did you know they have a used book sale? A wonderful used book sale. Needless to say, I never saw anything else that night.

I'll be there Kathleen your stops are almost identical to mine! Hope I run into you so we can catch up!

Noel Night Highlight #10

Detroit Public Library

Music in the Friends Auditorium!!
    Mosaic Youth Singers
    Tartan Terrors
    Thornetta Davis [[yes, the Grillmaster will be drumming for her!!)
    This is usually an SRO crowd, so get there early!!!

Holiday book sale!!!

Hackley Collection Open House

Holiday crafts
    Storytelling
    Puppet show

Dance performances!

More music!!

Wintersmommy!! Just put this event on your calendar for the first Saturday in December from the start of the year and plan to take your kids. Then when something comes up, you already have the plans made.

Mikie!!!! Would love to see you....I'll keep an eye out. Don't know how many of the above highlights I will be able to hit, but plan to try!!!

Noel Night showcases Midtown businesses, institutions, people
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011120...ons-and-people

Also..support the Detroit Science Center!!! They are opening for Noel Night.

Noel Night activities at the science center include choral group performances, Michael Cooper's "Masked Marvels & Wondertales" on the Chrysler Science Stage, free ice cream, take your own photos with Santa Claus and broadcasts of holiday classics such as "Frosty the Snowman" and "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" in the Toyota Engineering Theater.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...REE/111129965#

Don't forget the CCS Noel Night 'Alumni' Reception 4-9 that day at the Ford Campus! Pass the word!!

https://giving.collegeforcreativestudies.edu/noelnightalumnievent

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Wintersmommy!! Just put this event on your calendar for the first Saturday in December from the start of the year and plan to take your kids. Then when something comes up, you already have the plans made.

Mikie!!!! Would love to see you....I'll keep an eye out. Don't know how many of the above highlights I will be able to hit, but plan to try!!!
    Thanks Kathleen..its done! I didnt even put 2 and 2 together to realize it was the 1st saturday of December. I am offically booked for that day in 2012. My very first entry onto my 2012 Calendar

Sounds like fun, and I think we'll attend this year.

Are all these institutions free for the night, or do they charge admission? I see the article says "free of charge", but does that mean the institution or the event?

Also, are they completely open? I mean, can I wander the stacks of the library?
    Last edited by Bham1982; December-02-11 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Are all these institutions free for the night, or do they charge admission? I see the article says "free of charge", but does that mean the institution or the event? Also, are they completely open? I mean, can I wander the stacks of the library?
    The participating institutions are open free of charge!!! And the challenge is to get to everything you want to see. As for the library, most of it is open, because the larger rooms have performances and activities going on within. So c'mon on down and check it out!!!

Noel Night Highlight #11

Shop for Christmas gifts while making the rounds through the Noel Night venues.

Museum Gift Shops in the Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit Historical Museum, Detroit Science Center, Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, and MOCAD

Retail in the Park Shelton: Leopold's Books and the just-opened Peacock Room!!

City Bird and the just-opened Nest on Canfield between Cass and Second.

Detroit Artists Market

Bohomodern in the 71 Garfield Building

and more!!!!!

Noel Night Highlight #12

The Salvation Army Sing-a-long in the middle of Woodward Ave!!

It sure tops off an always great event!!

Hope to see some DYes folks at Noel Night tonight....

Printable Schedule [[updated 12/2):
    http://www.detroitmidtown.com/05/doc..._12-2-2011.pdf

Enjoy!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast