Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default WTF? - I guess the Kilpatrick Crime Mob will get away again

http://detnews.com/article/20111122/METRO01/111220384/Kilpatrick%E2%80%
    99s-pregnant-cousin-gets-sentencing-break-with-no-prison-time

So much for our state court's cleaning up the Kwame regime. I just hope that the Federal Court's aren't this lenient with Kwame and his dad.

Since when is 40 young?

Just because she has money to pay back what she stole don't make things right. If anything it makes things all that worse.

Buy American Guest

Another slap on the wrist and more restitution for the Cheeks/Kilpatrick family.

I shouldn't be surprised though, this family, their cronies, their classmates, and their friends have and will continue to rape and pillage the City of Detroit. In the meantime, good people have been screwed, good people may lose their jobs because the City is "out of money" [[I wonder why), Police are being suspended because all they did was protest pay/healthcare cuts [[I don't agree on blue flu but that is a far cry from what the Kilpatricks and Cheeks family have done to the City). Anarchy will reign in Detroit in the very near future I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Guthrie, Detroit News
    A civil lawsuit filed by the state against Cheeks resulted last year in an order that she must pay restitution of $138,000 that included triple damages because she didn't respond to the charges leveled by the state. The criminal restitution ordered today would be included in the civil judgment.

Cheek's lawyer said she brought $5,000 to court that she would pay immediately toward restitution. The court's probation department will set monthly payments in an amount to pay off the remaining $29,000 in the criminal judgment within her five years of probation.

Huh? The criminal restitution $34,000 is on top of the $138,000 in civil restitution? Down payment of $5K would appear to leave her with payments of more than $2,700 a month over a five year period.

In light of her high-rolling cousin's obfuscations and near total non-compliance, isn't the chance of that amount ever being paid slim and none?

Gotta give her credit, playing the pregnancy card's a nice trick...

The moral of this story...Get knocked up or else get locked up

Circuit Judge Margie Braxton set aside state-mandated sentencing guideline recommendations of a minimum of two years in prison because she said Cheeks is repentant and pregnant.
    In case anyone forgot what [[ahem) 'repentance' looks like...

Name:  bilde.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  37.2 KB

Absolute horse-poop.

All of the delays she requested and was granted were probably to wait for the pregnancy to become more apparent, so she could play the sympathy card.

Simply unbelievable.

I hope she pays it back with considerable interest. By confessing she saved the city the cost of prosecuting her. Imprisoning her would be another expense and would delay her repaying the city. I just hope they keep her on a short tether.

The face of "repentance."
Views: 1167
Size:  34.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    By confessing she saved the city the cost of prosecuting her. Imprisoning her would be another expense and would delay her repaying the city.

What planet were you raised on? For chrissakes, imprisoning ANYONE is an expense and delays "repaying the city" and I'd guarantee this judge locked up a number of other people today. That's the biggest load of BS, second only to claiming the crime took place "in the past."

curious...
    on one hand, the folks who have been carping in the "black folks go to jail, white folks get probation" camp now have an example of "leniency".. I wonder if she'll write a book..

..on the other hand, it has yet to play out just how strict of a probation will be put in place.. and what will be the exact restitution ordered to pay back?.. can she be compelled to testify regarding the pending federal case?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    curious...
    on one hand, the folks who have been carping in the "black folks go to jail, white folks get probation" camp now have an example of "leniency".. I wonder if she'll write a book..

..on the other hand, it has yet to play out just how strict of a probation will be put in place.. and what will be the exact restitution ordered to pay back?.. can she be compelled to testify regarding the pending federal case?
    Hype: There's no doubt that the United States has a two-tiered justice system. If you are poor, use a public defender or can't afford a good lawyer, you are going to be treated much differently from somebody who's rich, well-connected and has great lawyers and political pull. It's not always a race thing, even if it often breaks down that way. It's very much a class thing.

As conniving as some the people in the Cheeks/Kilpatrick family can be I wouldn't be surprised if she's just fat and playing pregnant.

I did a search on embezzlement penalities and a story came up about a nun who stole over $800,000 from Iona college for her gambling addiction. She has to pay back half of the amount and recieved community service, but no jail time.

The lesson her is that if you're going to embezzle it helps to be pregnant [[allegedly) or a sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    The face of "repentance."
Views: 1167
Size:  34.2 KB
    LOL, classic!

Her sentence is a joke, true. But it hardly represents any sort of a trend of leniency for the Kilpatricks and their cronies.

Kwame has served time in both jail and prison. He was forced out of office. He can't practice law. His book didn't really sell, and he is not tearing up the lecture circuit. He can't find a real job.

His big new house in Texas is a momentary pleasure, and I wouldn't be surpised if Judge Groner hauls Kwame back to cirucit court for another restitution hearing. Kwame faces a tremendously onerous federal prosecution next year and is very likely to spend a decade or more in prison when it's all done. His best friend, Derrick Miller, is testfying against him. The FBI seized all of pal Bobby Ferguson's heavy equipment last week and prosecutors hit him with additional charges.

To me, the criminal justice system is working pretty well in the case of the main players in the Kilpatrick drama. Don't blow out of proportion a lenient sentence for a two-bit cousin.

Buy American Guest

Sam Riddle stole less and got time in jail. A few others in the thug KK regime that got caught also got jail time. I hope the AG appeals the case quickly and this person gets what's due her.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Kwame has served time in both jail and prison. He was forced out of office. He can't practice law. His book didn't really sell, and he is not tearing up the lecture circuit. He can't find a real job.
    Kwame was only ordered to pay back a fraction of what his perjury cost the city of Detroit. Also, at the rate he's paying he'll die many times over before he ever pays everything back.

But I do see what you're saying. We have to keep in mind that he was convicted of perjury and obstruction, not of all the other crimes that he hasn't been charged with...yet!

I figured this was coming. I don't think Judges can do what this one did.

http://detnews.com/article/20111122/...#8217;s-cousin

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Since when is 40 young?

Just because she has money to pay back what she stole don't make things right. If anything it makes things all that worse.
    40 surely isn't young having a baby.

Umm, only under certain circumstances... they are locking up women who are pregnant too.

Too bad so many members of the KK 'friends and family' club are having their day on camera - 'sniffle-sniffle'. She knew to at least ADMIT to the fraud...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Pooh View Post
    The moral of this story...Get knocked up or else get locked up

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I figured this was coming. I don't think Judges can do what this one did.

http://detnews.com/article/20111122/...#8217;s-cousin
    Anyone familiar with how successful these appeals are?
    I'm wondering how likely/often the Michigan Court of Appeals overturns a sentence handed out by a judge.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Hype: There's no doubt that the United States has a two-tiered justice system. If you are poor, use a public defender or can't afford a good lawyer, you are going to be treated much differently from somebody who's rich, well-connected and has great lawyers and political pull. It's not always a race thing, even if it often breaks down that way. It's very much a class thing.

ding ding ding ding ding ding!

if she was remorseful and repentant wouldnt she have turned herself in?
    maybe that would be 'out of character' for her ...

9 felonies? nice.
    i wonder if there is a record number of felonies that you can get out of without doing jail time?
    anyone want to bet? is the max 10? 15? 20?