Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Sims closing??

Default Sims closing??

I heard someone say Sims clothing store on Telegraph in Southfield is closing. Can someone confirm this ?? They sold some nice merchandise. I bought a suit there that I was always complimented on.

Yes, the entire chain went bankrupt and is going through a voluntary shutdown: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...378488888.html

that also include Filene's Basement. I liked Syms

Yeah, Syms was sorta not well known like TJ Maxx or Burlington IMO, if you knew, you knew. The Southfield store on Telegraph you could drive right by and not notice as it sat pretty far off the street. They will be missed.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I heard someone say Sims clothing store on Telegraph in Southfield is closing. Can someone confirm this ?? They sold some nice merchandise. I bought a suit there that I was always complimented on.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Yes, the entire chain went bankrupt and is going through a voluntary shutdown: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...378488888.html
    Thx for the link iheartthed. I see I mispelled Syms, LOL That's too bad, I better go check it out for the last time.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-22-11 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Thx for the link iheartthed. I see I mispelled Syms, LOL That's too bad, I better go check it out for the last time.
    When do they close?

I guess there just weren't enough educated consumers left...

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    When do they close?
    Called up there, they said the sale started last week, and will continue until after Christmas or when all the merchandise is gone.

That's a bummer. It seems now that the only place one can find a fairly nice looking and fairly well fitting, mid-grade designer glued suit for under $400 is Nordstrom Rack. Sym's had a lot of not so nice stiff, but you could pull some decent finds once in a while. Great place to buy a decent tux if you ever thought that renting crappy clothes for a night at $150 a pop is/was ludicrous.

Wasn't there another store[[s) in this area spelled Sims?
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember a Sims store at the Oakland Mall many years ago.

Sy Syms' real name was Seymore Mems or Meims, had his first store in lower Manhatten on what was then called Radio Row. A mainly Jewish enclave of early electronic retailers; Sy was one of the guys who fought the Port Authority and Gov Rockefeller against their plan to build a massive office complex in the neighborhood.

Sy and friends lost the fight and the World Trade Center was built.