Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dollar General Opened in Lafayette Park

I had visited the Dollar General that had opened last night in Lafayette Park. I am impressed by the items that they have. Items ranging from toiletries to hardware. I am amazed on how fast the place had opened from one month ago when it was an empty space. I hope that this is a sign of things to come for Lafayette Park. Maybe a Tim Hortons or a similar coffe shop will open in the mall also.

It just Family Dollar [[which are literally all over the city) under another name, nothing special.

There's one inside an old Rite-Aid on Davison and Conant as well.

Dollar stores are the new party stores. Sell a bunch of off-brand crap that's not worth a dollar anyways. I can only imagine what they pay for some of that junk.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Dollar stores are the new party stores. Sell a bunch of off-brand crap that's not worth a dollar anyways. I can only imagine what they pay for some of that junk.
    That's only true for "uninformed" shoppers.... I buy Kleenex brand tissues for $1 there instead of $1.89 at Kroger... and even the COLGATE Toothpaste, although sometimes meant for overseas [[I once got a tube recommended by the South African Dental Association)... is a bargain for $1.

I wouldn't touch much of the food items sold there [[made in China, Vietnam, Indonesia)... but if you think just because it's a dollar store, you're deluding yourself as to quality... I sometimes find MinuteMade Apple Juice at Kroger or Meijer's with apples from 19 countries.

If you're an informed shopper, then dollar stores can save you money... if you're inclined to not throw it away....

These days... where ever you shop, you should look at the source of the product.

.... and speaking of what they pay for some of that junk... just what is the markup on Adidas or other sports shoes at up market stores these days?

Actually Dollar General is not a 'dollar' store, they sell things at a discount not limited to dollar items. And they do sell many brand names. Dollar General was the last to come to the city. IMO they are a bit better than Family Dollar and sell more quality products than Dollar Tree which is a true 'dollar' store.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post

Dollar General is the poor man's Family Dollar. Where I've lived and the two have been available, the Dollar General has always been the more poorly built and maintained of the two, with less aesthetically pleasing architecture [[even as dollar stores go), with even cheaper crap than Family Dollar. Honestly, Dollar General is bottom of the barrel, even as chain dollar stores go.

It's funny. Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, and Dollar General are all based out of the South.
    Last edited by Dexlin; November-22-11 at 07:46 AM.

I've been saying that we need more of these stores near the CBD for years only to be chastized. Stores like these really serve a purpose, a base customer who lives within walking distance. Is it a fancy store? No. Is it better than getting in your car and making a 20 mile round trip to the Meijer in Allen Park? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I've been saying that we need more of these stores near the CBD for years only to be chastized. Stores like these really serve a purpose, a base customer who lives within walking distance. Is it a fancy store? No. Is it better than getting in your car and making a 20 mile round trip to the Meijer in Allen Park? Yes.
    Right,those stores do serve a purpose, and anything is better then nothing. It would be nice to see some higher end retail in the city, i'm not talking about Tiffany & Co. either, just something better then dollar stores, wig shops, chaldeon party stores and african hair braiding places.

I dunno, I think these stores are for anyone on a budget long term or not [[poor and middle class). Dollar General for example does have name brand washing powders and detergents and other cleaning products. Along with the junk, which I ignore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Dollar General is the poor man's Family Dollar. Where I've lived and the two have been available, the Dollar General has always been the more poorly built and maintained of the two, with less aesthetically pleasing architecture [[even as dollar stores go), with even cheaper crap than Family Dollar. Honestly, Dollar General is bottom of the barrel, even as chain dollar stores go.

It's funny. Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, and Dollar General are all based out of the South.

Well stated. I've always liked Dollar General better than Family Dollar and before DG located on Woodward in Detroit, I had to wait until I was either in Ferndale or Dearborn where the closests ones were. Driving to the burbs is crazy to get to these kinds of stores, or Meijers everytime you need to purchase some garbage bags and floor wax. I am glad DG is in Detroit now.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    ...Is it better than getting in your car and making a 20 mile round trip to the Meijer in Allen Park? Yes.

Dollar General is the poor man's Family Dollar.
    If anything, it's the other way around. DG is my go-to place for quick shopping. I can almost always beat grocery store prices there and it's quicker than hitting 3 or 4 stores sometimes. FD is similar, but not as well stocked.

"It would be nice to see some higher end retail in the city"

What's stoping you or any other DY member from taking a risk with your own money and buying a franchise and/or starting your own store in the city? It's always wait for someone else to invest in the D on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherboy View Post
    "It would be nice to see some higher end retail in the city"

What's stoping you or any other DY member from taking a risk with your own money and buying a franchise and/or starting your own store in the city? It's always wait for someone else to invest in the D on this board.
    Not everyone is business savey. That is why you have the entrepreneur and the consumer. It would be nice to see more local independetly owned stores in the city. There is a local lady named Adrianna Pavon who advertised her clothing designs in a store front on Woodward near John R. Her items didn't look "ghetto" or too trendy. We need more local people like her to open up shop in the D. Let us not rely on the chain stores to come in. It would rather see an independent store such as Target that sell items made in Michigan.

I like Dollar General for some of the things they carry. I ahven't found Totally Awesome cleaning products anywhere else.

Aren't the dollar stores just today's version of the old five and dime? They're just a small neighborhood variety store with affordable merchandise.

Well, color me surprised. The South: birthplace of shitty stores everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ..and even the COLGATE Toothpaste, although sometimes meant for overseas [[I once got a tube recommended by the South African Dental Association)... is a bargain for $1.
    You might want to think twice about that --

"The FDA has found a poisonous chemical, diethylene glycol [[DEG), in certain toothpastes imported from China. The agency increased its scrutiny and testing of imported toothpaste and dental products after receiving reports in late May 2007 of contaminated Chinese dental products found in several countries "

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/toothpaste.asp

and:

"In June 2007, the Colgate-Palmolive Company notified consumers that counterfeit Colgate toothpaste imported from South Africa and found on the shelves of some discount stores in the U.S. may contain diethylene glycol, a hazardous chemical also found in antifreeze."

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...lar_stores.htm

i have to agree about the totally awesome cleaner...hard to find anywhere else and it works great.
    this dg store is bright and well laid out...hope it ends up being a big plus for the mall. sign board was updated too.
    too bad metro pcs took over a prime space...

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post

"In June 2007, the Colgate-Palmolive Company notified consumers that counterfeit Colgate toothpaste imported from South Africa and found on the shelves of some discount stores in the U.S. may contain diethylene glycol, a hazardous chemical also found in antifreeze."

Wow, it also says that the toothpaste may contain up to 10 times the amount of Fluoride than that prescribed by USA-fluorinated water products.

No wonder I haven't had a cavity in so many years.... [[usually get 1 per year).... but the incessant drooling won't stop.....

If you're an informed shopper, then dollar stores can save you money... if you're inclined to not throw it away....
    I agree. I don't shop at dollar stores too much, but I've noticed that you can both save money on some items, and spend more on others.

One of my favorite items to pick up are greeting cards, that often sell for 50 cents, instead of
    ~$1.50 at target or Meijer.

Another good money saver is helium party balloons.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Aren't the dollar stores just today's version of the old five and dime? They're just a small neighborhood variety store with affordable merchandise.
    You could say that the dollar store is the modern day 5 and 10 cents store. It would be nice if someone was allow to use the Kresges name and open a Kreges Dollar and More Store. There could be a lunch counter or area where customer could eats

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I like Dollar General for some of the things they carry. I ahven't found Totally Awesome cleaning products anywhere else.
    These products are available at Dollar Tree.

Wow, it also says that the toothpaste may contain up to 10 times the amount of Fluoride than that prescribed by USA-fluorinated water products.
    Gives new meaning to the phrase "Gleaming Smile"

"The FDA has found a poisonous chemical, diethylene glycol [[DEG), in certain toothpastes imported from China. The agency increased its scrutiny and testing of imported toothpaste and dental products after receiving reports in late May 2007 of contaminated Chinese dental products found in several countries "

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/toothpaste.asp

and:

Thanks for the heads up on that! Looks like I will be paying a little more attention when it comes to my dollar store shopping.

LOL! Yeah like radioactive gleam with a lead chaser to boot!
    Gives new meaning to the phrase "Gleaming Smile"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast