Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Comerica Park - vegetarian friendly?

Comerica Park, home of the Detroit Tigers, has placed seventh in PETA's annual rankings of the top 10 vegetarian-friendly ballparks. The park features a wide selection of vegetarian options, including veggie burgers, veggie dogs, meat-free wraps, vegetarian sushi, meatless taco salads, fruit cups, and vegetable stir-fries.

Where is all this stuff? That food court?

I dunno but thanks for the warning who wants to eat that crap at a ball game. Only vegan food that counts at the ball game is peanuts... maybe popcorn.

Blarf Guest

Wow, what an honor. I'm sure legions of people will want to go to Tiger games now.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Comerica Park, home of the Detroit Tigers, has placed seventh in PETA's annual rankings of the top 10 vegetarian-friendly ballparks. The park features a wide selection of vegetarian options, including veggie burgers, veggie dogs, meat-free wraps, vegetarian sushi, meatless taco salads, fruit cups, and vegetable stir-fries.

Where is all this stuff? That food court?
    They probably sell one of each item so they go fast.

Did anyone see the squirrel who was running around on the field the other night and chilling out on the outfield wall? Cute little guy, but I would have gladly sacrificed him with a clubbing by one of the stadium workers if it meant staying at the bottom of PETA's list.

Retroit Guest

None of those items are listed on the concession menus, but you can bring in your own food and bottled water in a soft-sided cooler.

http://mlb.mlb.com/det/ticketing/ballparkguide_list.jsp

A little off topic, but I heard Comerica is now offering Michigan [[and vegan?) beers. Anyone know where?

Whaaatt. no way, that sounds crazy. I'm a vegetarian. I don't even want to risk it.. i'm going to the game tonight actually, and I'll investigate. But I'm looking for someplace to eat before hand. I'm goin with the fam. My mother wants to eat at Lafayette Coney Island but I really don't want to go there.

Anyone know of any good, cheap, casual places close to Downtown that serve vegetarian food?

So far on my list... Honest Johns, Circa 1890 Saloon, Motor City Brewrey [[although this doesn't really count as cheap haha)... funny how all these are in midtown.

If this is true, it's pretty cool. As a vegetarian myself, it's nice to know I can enjoy ballpark veggie dog. Mmmm. Tasty and nutritious. Though I could live with the fatty pizzas and fries!

And Casscorridor: the Bronx has a great vegetarian sandwich. Woodbridge Pub also has some good veggie options. If you mom really wants to go to a coney island, there are a few vegetarian options at United We Stand, though it's typically greasy as all hell.

Oh yeah. I love both Bronx and Woodbridge Pub.

I'm trying to avoid coneys as I ate at Dulys on W Vernor last night. Best thing 2 dollars can buy, period.

A meatless taco salad would be nicer than our usual cheese pizza.

I'll have to hunt around in the food court, I guess... though we are way upstairs.

Bringing our own cooler, Retroit, thanks for the link... I thought people were just bringing diapers and water and sneaking food in, but it's official. I will see what we can bring in tomorrow. I am assuming no blue gel ice packs [[since you could throw them?), so maybe ice in zip lock bags.

The veggie dogs and veggie burgers are located at the Brushfire Grill, behind 3rd base area, first level. You have to buy a "basket" to get it.. 2 veggie dogs/fries/coleslaw or 1 veggie burger/fries/coleslaw.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Bringing our own cooler, Retroit, thanks for the link... I thought people were just bringing diapers and water and sneaking food in, but it's official. I will see what we can bring in tomorrow. I am assuming no blue gel ice packs [[since you could throw them?), so maybe ice in zip lock bags.
    Put the bottled water in the freezer for a couple hours before heading to the park.

Quote Originally Posted by thefishwrap View Post
    The veggie dogs and veggie burgers are located at the Brushfire Grill, behind 3rd base area, first level. You have to buy a "basket" to get it.. 2 veggie dogs/fries/coleslaw or 1 veggie burger/fries/coleslaw.
    Excellent, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Put the bottled water in the freezer for a couple hours before heading to the park.

Great idea, thanks!

Just to make this clear, you can bring in water but it has to be SEALED water, not opened. You might be able to sneak an already opened water bottle into the park, but if the gate people see it, they will make you throw it out [[I had this happen to me once). Unopened water is no problem though.

And yes, you can bring in all the outside food you want. I saw somebody last night with a Pizza Papali's [[sp) box sitting behind me.

Great stuff... we took our cooler in today with cold waters, bag full of ice, sandwiches, carrots, orange slices, pickles, etc... absolutely no problem at the gate. Good eating in our seats.

Only oddity was that the bottled water did not freeze. I looked and it is distilled water [[Smart Water), so perhaps that explains why if it is completely pure. We took some ice out of the bag and added it to our waters though and that worked out great.