Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Found An Old Free Press

Found an old copy of the Free Press, from October, 1967, among an acquaintance's recently deceased relative's belongings. It contained an Action Line article about the relative being charged nearly eight hundred dollars for sidewalk repair. It stated that the City "doesn't fool around" with needed repairs because the City can be sued by those who trip and fall.
    Well, the sidewalk is still there, 42 years later. The house and several more on that block are long gone, leaving behind empty, littered lots. I assume that nobody will soon be sueing the City over this sidewalk, though!
    Last edited by Bobl; June-05-09 at 03:01 PM. Reason: punctuation

I got some old papers from the 84 World Series ERA, I will dig them out one day.In regards to that action line article. Too bad the city has bigger problems to worry about the defective sidewalks.

The Freep's "Action Line" and the comparable column in the Detroit News, "Contact 10", used to be my 'first read' in the papers back 30 years ago or so. It was a shame when they discontinued those features.

For you young 'uns, they were a daily column whereby a reader could write or call with a question on nearly any topic and have a staff answer it and put it in the paper the next day. It was enjoyable reading. Sort of like clicking on DY today......

When I had my Free Press route as a kid I grabbed my papers from the still warm from the press bundle. I always got to the drop off spot at about 3:30 am, before the route manager got there to separate the routes. Then I'd read Action Line before I started folding my papers. Great stuff. Can you imagine if they still had Action Line and Contact 10 today. Everyone would be asking for help with the crack house next door.

rvtwitty Guest

Action Line would be good for the freep to revive. But I doubt they would. We have Ruth to the Rescue. I like that Rob Wolcheck on Channel 2. His Hall of Shame is rght on, but usually the scum still gets away with their dirty deeds. Scott Lewis does a good job. I am afraid our newspapers are losing ground. The interent is fine, but I love reading the paper in my hands.

Went back to the vacant lot today. Garage slab and the dilapidated swing that was used by generations of young ones remains amid the trash, tires, and broken dreams.
    It amazes me that the scrappers have not removed the steel swing frame, and that the lilac bushes still stand guard next to where the porch was.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Found an old copy of the Free Press, from October, 1967, among an acquaintance's recently deceased relative's belongings. It contained an Action Line article about the relative being charged nearly eight hundred dollars for sidewalk repair. It stated that the City "doesn't fool around" with needed repairs because the City can be sued by those who trip and fall.
    Well, the sidewalk is still there, 42 years later. The house and several more on that block are long gone, leaving behind empty, littered lots. I assume that nobody will soon be sueing the City over this sidewalk, though!

Hold on to it, especially if there are any stories about the riots or future politicians or businesspeople. It may be a collector's item.

Default Old Detroit Newspapers

I still have the news and freep editions of the 1967 riot. I've thought about having some reproductions made. Does anybody know what they are worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The Freep's "Action Line" and the comparable column in the Detroit News, "Contact 10", used to be my 'first read' in the papers back 30 years ago or so. It was a shame when they discontinued those features.

For you young 'uns, they were a daily column whereby a reader could write or call with a question on nearly any topic and have a staff answer it and put it in the paper the next day. It was enjoyable reading. Sort of like clicking on DY today......
    I remember those columns. I once actually got published in Contact 10 in the early '80s, when I asked a question about a series of orange numbers that had been written in the pavement along Lakeshore between Kerby and the Eleanor Ford House. They were marker numbers for a road construction project.

I think my "first read" in those days was Dear Abby / Ann Landers, followed by the comics, but Action Line and Contact 10 followed closely behind.

I have a few old papers of major headlines stuffed in a box, but I'm sure they're all yellowed with age and their monetary value would be less than their "diary" value to me. Notable ones I kept were the Iranian hostage release the day Reagan was inaugurated on 1-20-81 [[further testimony to the fact that that's the type of president we really need again these days), the Challenger explosion articles from 1-28-86 and of course 9-11.
    Last edited by EMG; June-06-09 at 05:07 PM.

EMG, up until the early 1980's, I had a small bundle of News/Freep/Times papers from WW II that we had kept, about 1943 to 1945. Somewhere in my moves they got lost. Sigh. I'd sure like to have them again.

On a similar note, I"ll be going to Wichita next fall to visit the library there. They have the Wichita newspapers on microfilm as far back as 1870. Going to do some family research; great grandparents were mucky-wucks in Wichita. Should be interesting.

The good news is that research these days is a lot easier than it used to be. Many of the things I saved in my old newspapers can be found online - or in some cases, even viewed on YouTube.

Maybe with some Internet scouring you might be able to save yourself a trip to Wichita.

I must be a Pack Rat, My AUNT found 5yr old Freeps of mine stashed in PICKUP box of mine.Looking at them I got old RedwingsAND Strawberry the stripper.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post

Maybe with some Internet scouring you might be able to save yourself a trip to Wichita.
    Yeah, but I'm looking forward to the trip to visit some relatives, both living and in the graveyard.

My last trip there was in the spring of '99 and I ended up being a tornado chaser.

Lorax Guest

I loved reading "Contact 10" in the News, as a kid, I liked the black bars used at the heading, which were collapsing into a capital "K". Actually it looked kind of like this: IIIIK.

We always found something local in the neighborhood to relate to.

Here in Miami we have "Help Me Howard" who goes around embarrassing companies and government into doing something to mitigate citizen's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    I loved reading "Contact 10" in the News, as a kid, I liked the black bars used at the heading, which were collapsing into a capital "K". Actually it looked kind of like this: IIIIK.

Or more like this: >>>>>>>>K.

I wonder why they called it "Contact 10?" Was it a department of 10 people? If so can you imagine having a department like that so highly staffed today?!

Oh man the old Contact 10 jingle just pop into my head. Why it's still in there I haven't a clue. It's probably going to be stuck there all day.

I think it went:

When ever your in a pickel, in a jam or a stew.
    Up a creek, down a well, out on limb, without a clue.
    If you're with our protection and you haven't got connections
    Contact - Contact 10.

Speaking of old-time newspaper features, remember the bazillion pages of Jane Lee's "Experience" in the News? I would read it as a kid, fascinated with the half-creepy adult problems that were being discussed. It went on for pages!

Another article in the 1967 Free Press:
    Dean Rusk informing us that we must support President Thieu and succeed in Vietnam, in order to prevent China from invading all of SE Asia.

Little did we know [[or he care) that one day they would own us!

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Or more like this: >>>>>>>>K.

I wonder why they called it "Contact 10?" Was it a department of 10 people? If so can you imagine having a department like that so highly staffed today?!
    I believe they did have ten staffers assigned to the feature. However, those ten staffers also performed other reporting and miscellaneous functions. The answers never had a "byline".