Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What Do All Who Fall From Grace Have In Common?

just my word for the day:

ar·ro·gance

noun \ˈer-ə-gən[[t)s, ˈa-rə-\

Definition of ARROGANCE

: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions

Examples of ARROGANCE

• Her arrogance has earned her a lot of enemies.
    • We were shocked by the arrogance of his comments.
    • He was like a movie star at his high school reunion, muting his arrogance and trying to be a regular guy for old times' sake. He seemed to genuinely appreciate the honor. —Carlo Rotella, New York Times Sports Magazine, June 2008
    • This kind of official arrogance is not new, of course, although it is perhaps more common in dictatorships than in democracies. —Ian Buruma, New York Times Book Review, 17 Sept. 2006
    • Arrogance is, at once, what an athlete most needs and what fans least want to see. —Dan Le Batard, ESPN, 15 Mar. 2004
    • A British expat who could have stepped out of a Graham Greene plot, Twyman makes an improbable Jamaican hero. His self-assurance borders on arrogance, particularly when something is not done precisely the way he would do it himself. —Barry Estabrook, Gourmet, July 2003
    • [+]more[-]hide

Origin of ARROGANCE

[[see arrogant)First Known Use: 14th century

Related to ARROGANCE

Synonyms: assumption, bumptiousness, consequence, haughtiness, hauteur, high horse, huffiness, imperiousness, loftiness, lordliness, masterfulness, peremptoriness, pomposity, pompousness, presumptuousness, pretense [[or pretence), pretension, pretentiousness, self-consequence, self-importance, superciliousness, superiority, toploftiness
    Antonyms: humility, modesty, unassumingness, unpretentiousness

Women scheme when they are weak, they lie out of fear. Men scheme when they are strong, they lie out of arrogance.”
    Julian Barnes, Flaubert's Parrot

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
    Arthur Schopenhauer

“Class is an aura of confidence that is being sure without being cocky. Class has nothing to do with money. Class never runs scared. It is self-discipline and self-knowledge. It's the sure-footedness that comes with having proved you can meet life. ”
    Ann Landers

“Arrogance is a creature. It does not have senses.
    It has only a sharp tongue and the pointing finger.”
    Toba Beta
    Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.
    - Sydney J. Harris

All too often arrogance accompanies strength, and we must never assume that justice is on the side of the strong. The use of power must always be accompanied by moral choice.
    - Theodore Bikel

Last edited by MizMotown; November-19-11 at 10:17 PM.

arrogance causes one to underestimate the strength and/or resolve of ones opponents

I don't think ALL those "Who Fall From Grace" share Arrogance as a common factor MM; far from it; I think they should be rightly indignant to have their privacy paraded out of control by a bunch of imbeciles in the entertainment media [[euphemistically called "news") for the enjoyment of a bunch of morons that want to receive it. If you want to apply your "word for the day" to a group I would attach it specifically to ALL the operatives in the "News Industry". Then your note would ring clear and true for me. [[sorry if that's Arrogant - but I've never let it stop me before!)

The good book says that Pride goes before a fall.

There was just too much pride at Penn State, it was bound to blow up.

I'm still trying to find a positive aspect of the Ego. Nearly every time it shows itself, ugliness ensues.

Arrogance is merely the ego wrapped in pride, trying to hide its true nature.

I guess I some how apply to all of the above. But I don't think of myself as a bad guy. I help in my neighborhood, and help with the local shelter. Show me the way, Miz.

Just who are you referring to, Miz? And if you are talking about someone committing a crime, why call it "falling from grace"? That usually encompasses a far greater number of people in the religionist's mind.

“The quickest way to fall from grace is to think that there is an ounce of your life that isn’t dependent on it,” warned Furtick. “Don’t fall away from grace. Ted needs it. Tiger needs it. Charlie needs it. But so do you. And so do I.” -Chrisitan Post

Gannon: The only positive thing about the ego is to let us know it's our mouths we need to shovel the food in. :-)

In my beliefs the fall or separation occured when we mistakenly thought we actually could unsurp the Creator's power or we refused to believe we are the cause and not the effect. We developed an authority problem and believe we have a will separate from a Creator. When we finally get over the fact that we really don't [[and we are just wandering around wasting time feeling guilty about thinking we do) we will get back with the harmony of things. Nothing we are being punished for, just a mistake to be corrected or un-done.

I think arrogance screams..."I am untouchable." That's the first mistake...lol Humility or to be humble focuses on appreciation and awe.
    Last edited by MizMotown; November-27-11 at 06:06 PM.

I think arrogance is taking yourself and your ideas too seriously. I was listening to a show called Tapestry on CBC radio. The host was interviewing a priest named Richard Rohr. He [[Rohr) didn't write this. It is a journalist's conjecture of what a bumper sticker by Rohr would say.

Life is hard.
    You're not that important.
    You're not in control.
    Your life is not about you.
    And you're going to die.

I read this over when I start taking myself too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I don't think ALL those "Who Fall From Grace" share Arrogance as a common factor MM; far from it; I think they should be rightly indignant to have their privacy paraded out of control by a bunch of imbeciles in the entertainment media [[euphemistically called "news") for the enjoyment of a bunch of morons that want to receive it. If you want to apply your "word for the day" to a group I would attach it specifically to ALL the operatives in the "News Industry". Then your note would ring clear and true for me. [[sorry if that's Arrogant - but I've never let it stop me before!)
    The biggest morons that you talk about are the ones that take news sources that claim to be "fair and balanced" and actually believe that it is... and often quote its' "commentators", and often mistake the word "commentator" with "expert" or "newscaster".

I'm still waiting for one particular "fair and balanced" news agency to retract its' comments about exaggerating the cost of President Obama's trip to Asia, by a factor of 20!... and then making it sound like factual news.

I don't know which news source you're referring to Gistok but you do bring up an interesting point; is he back yet?

Gannon: The only positive thing about the ego is to let us know it's our mouths we need to shovel the food in. :-)
    I guess the smiley means I shouldn't take what you say seriously.

[QUOTEMizMZm] In my beliefs the fall or separation occured when we mistakenly thought we actually could unsurp the Creator's power [/QUOTE]

By doing what? Controlling our fertility? GIving childless couples the ability to have children?
    or we refused to believe we are the cause and not the effect.
    Cause of what? I thought believers said that their god was the first cause. And a verse in the Bible says that Bible god created everything even evil.

We developed an authority problem and believe we have a will separate from a Creator. When we finally get over the fact that we really don't [[and we are just wandering around wasting time feeling guilty about thinking we do) we will get back with the harmony of things. Nothing we are being punished for, just a mistake to be corrected or un-done.
    So murder is just a mistake?

I think arrogance screams..."I am untouchable." That's the first mistake...lol Humility or to be humble focuses on appreciation and awe.
    Untouchable as in untouchable by supernatural beings? And what is the evidence for the existence of the supernatural? This sounds like just another
    argument from self-righteousness, i.e., the unbeliever is fallen from "grace"
    because s/he demands evidence for the supernatural in the 21st century.
    But you still haven't defined grace. The catholic church talks a lot about grace. I'll have to consult a catechism to get their definition of it. I remember it as something you got from the sacraments and I think it was supposed to strengthen one's faith in things for which there is no verifiable evidence.

1. Isa.45

[7] I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Web definitions:grace: [[Christian theology) the free and unmerited favor or beneficence of God;

[This does not have to be limited to christian theology since most believers would say that their god favors those who believe in their god. And round and round the mulberry bush.

lit joe Guest

God gives us freewill and loves everyone the same. He make it easy we make it hard.

Quote Originally Posted by lit joe View Post
    God gives us freewill and loves everyone the same. He make it easy we make it hard.
    and if you fail to worship him above all else he sends you to a place of infinite torture and suffering for ever and ever, because he loves you, amen

lit joe Guest

Your choice you get the freewill.

The smell of sulphur and extreme heat?

You cannot "fall from grace" until you have been given high esteem by somebody that needs it for themselves and you've let them down.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quag9...layer_embedded
    Last edited by coracle; December-25-11 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    and if you fail to worship him above all else he sends you to a place of infinite torture and suffering for ever and ever, because he loves you, amen

Man, I gotta admit i love the gospel according to George Carlin too.

Mizmotown, I just noticed this reporter from ESPN you quoted; Dan Le Batard. Wow what a nice last name. It means "the bastard" in french. You are right about the media personalities out there and how much ego is a part of the equation in sick quantities. Look at this Piers Morgan guy on CNN who admits to this phone tapping thing without so much as a blush. Who needs to dump on the J Edgar Hoovers when you have media types who pose as defenders of democracy and do the dirty work.

Quote Originally Posted by lit joe View Post
    Since you condone your god's sadism, I suppose you are also in favor of torture as a punishment for criminals.