Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Old blind guitarist at Hudson's

Do any of you recall the guy who played guitar outside of Hudson's in the late 60's? He was a lanky, black guy with a straw hat, and was blind.
    He sat outside of a side exit, which did not actually go outdoors, but to an enclosed, possibly shipping/receiving area which had a drive to the outside.
    I'm guessing we'd go out this side or even back exit to parking space behind the building. I was only 5-6 at the time. What was his name???

someone has gotta remember this fellow.

Sure, I remember him, he used to sit in the driveway that ran between the Woodward and Farmer buildings. You had to walk past him to get from one part of the store to the other. In warmer weather he often sat outside the Gratiot entrance to the store. I don't remember his name, but I had a friend at Cass who used to talk to him all the time and get bottleneck guitar playing tips.

I remeber the guy who used to play in eastern market. Probably not the same guy but I think he was blind? He was an older black man and would be next to the food stand. I think he was in a local commercial once?

Don't know about the Hudsons guy , but market guy was.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8r5w...uXU2hqFxo3sjfP

I remember a guy in EM too, saw him playing next to Russell st deli many times. He's not the same person as in the video above. This guy played guitar, had a tambourine at his foot, [[and may have used a harmonica but not sure about that).
    Real old school gentleman.

He's probably playing up in heaven now, he looked pretty old 12 years ago.

The man’s name was Ezekiel Jordan. I have a newspaper article from 1972 about him written by Charles Flowers - I would post it, but I don’t know how. There’s a picture of him too.
    It was so weird. When I read your post, I couldn’t believe someone else remembered him! I wrote a poem when I was in school [[It was nearing Christmas and I was homesick) and I mentioned in it the blind man who played the blues inside the doors at Hudson’s. So, because of your post, I decided to try to find the poem among all my junk I’ve saved over the years, no luck so far. But while I was searching I found an old letter my mom had written me after I’d moved down here in ‘72 and when I opened the envelope this article fell out! I mean, damn, is that not weird?
    The article says that he was 55 years old and from Helena, Ark, that some days he only made $2, that he wasn’t totally blind but had been losing his sight for the past ten years. He played a cheap Epiphone guitar - his last guitar was stolen when he was playing in a deserted area near Woodward and Grand Boulevard. Says he wishes for a “two-hunert fifty dollar Gipsen.”
    I hope he got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magingia View Post
    The man’s name was Ezekiel Jordan. I have a newspaper article from 1972 about him written by Charles Flowers - I would post it, but I don’t know how. There’s a picture of him too....
    Great first post. Welcome to the forum.

If you tell us which paper and the exact date of the article someone here might be able to look it up.

I thought it might be Robert Bradley myself but no... he was hung out at Eastern Market back in the day... BTW Bradley's music is fantastic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51QlY1wkmP4

http://www.robertbradleysblackwaters...the_wilderness

He had left Detroit at one point turning in a great performance in the film: Lakwana Blues....

Quote Originally Posted by Coplin View Post
    Don't know about the Hudsons guy , but market guy was.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8r5w...uXU2hqFxo3sjfP

Yes, Welcome. Love your handle Magingia! Hopefully someone hear can help you bring that article forth. That'd be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Great first post. Welcome to the forum.

If you tell us which paper and the exact date of the article someone here might be able to look it up.

It was from the Detroit Free Press, dated March 5, 1972. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the warm welcome, it's good to be here!

^^^ On mirco-film at the main library? Can that kind of thing be converted to PDF format [[which can then be converted to JPEG and uploaded here). Yes, I think so after its printed and scanned to PDF first...

I love threads about blues in Detroit. ....

Default Old Blind Guitarist at Hudson's

Wow, thanks, Magingia, for taking the time to follow up on that. I was the Original Poster. We are older, and to me the young generation doesn't have the time to do kind, little things like that too much.
    I think Mr. Jordan wore a straw, flat top hat.
    Great treat for me. Thanks

Threads like this are why I love this Forum.

Anyone remember the chestnut cart that used to sell hot chestnuts at the Woodward/Gratiot corned of Hudson's at the holidays...also sold candied apples and I think popcorn? That was for years the busiest corner in Detroit, with the Ernst Kern & Co. store at the south corner along with the S. S. Kresge Store 1 across the street.