Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Prison Closures to be Announced

Retroit Guest

Yikes!

How convenient of the need for prisons to decrease when we decide we can't afford them.

I say, keep them open and get rid of all the freebies that prisoners receive. We shouldn't be spending $35,000+ per year per prisoner. Feed them one meal a day, turn down the heat, turn off the air conditioning, lights, televisions, etc. Close down the baseball fields, tennis courts, swimming pools, etc. These criminals get such a good deal in prison, it's a wonder people aren't committing crimes just to get in!

[[Maybe they are.)

They are shutting down all of Detroit? Who knew?

This is asinine. One of the biggest factors why Detroit struggles is crime. So what do they do? Close jails. A typical Made in Detroit solution...absolutely wrong.

Retroit Guest

^ It was Made In Lansing

May have been made in Lansing but jails wouldn't need to be closed and let the animals out if Detroit could behave and actually attract residents and business, *shock* they might just have some money to spend.

Why is this state all about prison or freedom as the two definitive answers. Why not give people tons of community service. The state is running short on services and money - but the criminals to work.

I'm filing a grievance against JT1 for even suggesting such a thing.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Why is this state all about prison or freedom as the two definitive answers. Why not give people tons of community service. The state is running short on services and money - but the criminals to work.
    Are you kidding me?

"Are you kidding me?"

No, why? I am talking menial jobs that are not being done right now [[pick up trash in the streets, cut the grass along the freeways, tree planting, park clean ups, etc.

Cities and the state are cutting non-esseential services. Have the non-violent criminals perform this work as part of public service.

If you disagree please cite why.

What are they going to do with all the mentally ill people now? The prisons sort of took custody when all the mental health facilities were shut down 10/12 years ago. I work in the justice system and believe me, crime has not decreased in the least. I agree with putting the inmates to work picking up trash etc. Make them earn their keep.

Did any of you actually read the article???

They aren't closing Detroit jails, so you can rest easy, GOAT. From the article: "Prisons in Muskegon, Standish north of Bay City and Kincheloe in the eastern Upper Peninsula will close between Aug. 1 and Nov. 30. Prison camps to be shuttered in the same time period are located in Shingleton, Painesdale and Iron River in the U.P.; Grayling in the northern Lower Peninsula; and White Lake in Oakland County."

And they aren't just going to free all the convicts. It's not going to be like the last day of school with dudes running out the door home free. So the mental health patients will continue to be housed. Again from the article: "The eight facilities cost $118 million to run and house about 4,600 inmates who will be moved to other facilities if they are still incarcerated at the time of the closures."

--- They are simply closing these because numbers have dropped. In way its similar to DPS schools closing and merging to save money. My only reaction is that I feel for the 1,800 corrections employees affected by this, and I hope they get tranferred or find another job. The hits keep coming for our state...

Oh well! that is the price of democracy. Let's build the city wall to keep the crooks out.

Or...in Escape from New York, didn't it work the OTHER way 'round?!

Retroit Guest

If I were in charge, there would be no prisons. I would have Capital Punishment for murderers, Corporal Punishment for violent criminals [[including castration for rapists, hand amputation for thieves, foot amputation for fleeing from police), community service for non-violent criminals, and large fines and wage garnishment for financial criminals.

What the hell is wrong with putting non violent criminals to work instead of housing and feeding them? If they messed up or didnt show up for there shift cleaning up I-94 they can go back to prison. I think its a good solution for all the drug offenders which take up more space than any other type convict.

Or I guess we could just chop off their limbs.

9mile&seneca Guest

"Chop off their feet! They'll never do it again" Hunter S Thopmpson on drug penalties. They tried prison industries. With a few exceptions they presented unfair competition to the world outside and caused some people to be laid off. To me a crime is something you do to someone or their property.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    If I were in charge, there would be no prisons. I would have Capital Punishment for murderers, Corporal Punishment for violent criminals [[including castration for rapists, hand amputation for thieves, foot amputation for fleeing from police), community service for non-violent criminals, and large fines and wage garnishment for financial criminals.
    I'm very, very glad you're not in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    May have been made in Lansing but jails wouldn't need to be closed and let the animals out if Detroit could behave and actually attract residents and business, *shock* they might just have some money to spend.
    How interesting you would call people animals and call yourself goat....

So, is there anything about the Taliban that you do not agree with?

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Why not give people tons of community service. The state is running short on services and money - but the criminals to work.
    Great idea! So, when some guy carjacks you at gunpoint, how many hours of community service do you feel would be a sufficient "punishment" for him?

^ I certainly hope people on this forum don't get you and I confused.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    I'm very, very glad you're not in charge.
    So are the criminals.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    So, is there anything about the Taliban that you do not agree with?
    Their criminal justice system is to lenient.

Their criminal justice system is to lenient.
    I think the main problem is the rich and the poor are so far separated. The rich want to keep what they have and more, the poor want what the rich have.

Kill the poor??? Maybe that would do it, hell, as long as were chopping off limbs why not just go all the way.

Eat the rich???

Lemmy/Biafra, thanks for the insight.