Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

lilpup Guest

Default New lion exhibit at the zoo

Yeah, it looks cool, but all I can think of is seeing the glass get knocked out during Wings games. Will the lions ALWAYS be more mellow than hockey players? They certainly weigh more. One good hit and...

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/morn...-king-20111114

You make a good point about the glass being knocked out. Also, who is going to clean the inside of the glass? Maybe we'll have some excitement at the zoo.

The gorillas have had an exhibit for years where there's nothing but a sheet of glass between you and them, and they are MUCH stronger than a Lion. I don't know that there's ever been any problems with gorillas breaking the glass and attacking the spectators.

lilpup Guest

Gorillas stronger than lions? That would have to be judged on a case by case basis. Gorillas aren't predators, either.

truth be told be told they had to alter the exhibit already due to the lions being scared of people tapping on the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    truth be told be told they had to alter the exhibit already due to the lions being scared of people tapping on the glass.
    I was wondering about that when I was watching the video.
    They should just put a sign up, "Tap on the glass and the lions will break through and rip you apart."

I've been to other zoos with lion exhibits, they use 6 inches of bullet proof glass [[layered polycarbonate laminate) - a bit more substantial than the glass on top of the boards at the Joe.

Maybe someone can tell me this because I've been holding off on going to the zoo until this was complete. When are the Lions most active during the day? Morning, night? Every time I've gone throughout my life most of the animals are laying in the shade somewhere. Granted, I usually went in the daytime during the summer when they were probably trying to stay cool. Anyone have any input on this?

^You might want to contact the zoo and find out when they feed the lions.