Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default OCP: coming soon to Detroit

For those of you who have heard of the Robocop Trilogy, and have been following up on the Detroit crisis, I'm sure you understand what OCP stands for...

Omni Consumer Products.

This company in the Robocop Trilogy took control of the Detroit Police Department, since the current citizen government couldn't afford to run the department.

What are the similarities of this compared to what's happening in the present? The privatization of city services are starting, even though it's starting with the transportation and lighting departments first. Privatization could go even further, which is why some should be careful what they wish for.

In each movie, the company gained more power up to the point where it gained complete control over the entire city of Detroit. It's citizens at its mercy. Their goal, to rebuild the city in their own image: Delta City.

I'd rather not imagine what a corporate-controlled city would look like, let alone a city being controlled by a EFM.

There are some that remain, either by choice or by the inability to move elsewhere, in Detroit that feel that they will be forced out in order to make room for more "desirable" citizens. These fears increase by the day as our city officials and corporate interests meet to decide the future of Detroit.

In this post, I ask, would the complete privatization of Detroit bring this city back from its decay? If not, then what's the alternative? If so, how would it truly be implemented in this real-world?

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    There are some that remain, either by choice or by the inability to move elsewhere, in Detroit that feel that they will be forced out in order to make room for more "desirable" citizens. These fears increase by the day as our city officials and corporate interests meet to decide the future of Detroit.
    What makes some citizens "desirable" and what makes some "undesirable"? Not sure what this means.

I posted this in two threads, I will put it here because I mention OCP yesterday.

Detroit is on the brink of total insolvency. Bing wants to be EM, City Council say we don't need one. Bing says the unions need to come to the table to reduce pension and health benefits and City Council say we need more job cuts. Looks like it time for Detroit to play the only hand it can: contract all city services to Omni Comsumer Products. That's right we need OCP to come in and save the day. Our politicians no longer have the ability to save the city so we need a corporation to do the job. Fuck it, let the ED-209s roam through the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    What makes some citizens "desirable" and what makes some "undesirable"? Not sure what this means.
    I'm assuming "undesirable" means poor, dependent on government assistance and/or thugs. "Desirable" people are people with money and content with the way things are and/or businessmen.

OCP is here in Detroit. It's starts with Compuware and later Quicken Loans.

Ok, I'm going to address what I meant as "desirable".

Ride on a bus home with the Detroit citizens and many will tell you that they feel that once the city is "taken over", that current residents would be forced out of the city.

Everyone knows that the population is going down in 'the' City of Detroit, and it continues to do so. Most citizens that haven't left for the suburbs, have left the state altogether.

To sum it up, "desirable" would be those that would just keep their mouth shut and do what they are told by their corporate masters.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    OCP is here in Detroit. It's starts with Compuware and later Quicken Loans.
    Now they are waiting for Mike to join,to bad their plan to knock MM into the dirt has failed so far good prevails when you try to take the voice of the people away.

whens that statue going up? http://detroitneedsrobocop.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    Ok, I'm going to address what I meant as "desirable".

Ride on a bus home with the Detroit citizens and many will tell you that they feel that once the city is "taken over", that current residents would be forced out of the city.

Everyone knows that the population is going down in 'the' City of Detroit, and it continues to do so. Most citizens that haven't left for the suburbs, have left the state altogether.

To sum it up, "desirable" would be those that would just keep their mouth shut and do what they are told by their corporate masters.
    I understand the anger from the masses. And it saddens me that there is this perception that outside forces are trying to force people out.

I don't think anyone is trying to force anyone out. God knows Detroit needs as much revenue and commercial activity as it can get. The problem is all in the big picture. Everyone wants what they've been promised, but there isn't enough money to make that happen. This is no different than what was happening at GM 3 years ago. GM made promises for decades and decades and it can't do as they promised.

No one has to keep their mouth shut. No one needs to "do what they are told". If the corporate masters don't have the money to pay the bills, they don't have the money to pay the bills. So what people need to do is quit worrying about "being undesirable" and worry more about "how can we solve this financial puzzle".

I guarantee you that those people who are helping solve the puzzle will remain. Those who don't care about the puzzle will likely get left behind. And the people who are just making the puzzle worse and worse will probably be asked to leave.