Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Robbie Gage Memorial Park - Southfield

I've changed my commute route and have been taking Inkster lately. I noticed this park on Inkster between 10 and 11 Mile [[opposite Farmington Hills).

I wasn't able to find out much on the Southfield website, anyone know more about Robbie Gage?

Inkster is much smoother now since it was repaved, though easier to speed on. Now if they can just fix 11 Mile east of Inkster! It is terrible. Sad that 11 Mile is so bad right in front of the TV studio.

Robbie was the son of Judge Hilda Gage. He was a young boy when he died of dysautonomia. I think there is a plaque in the park that tells the story. The park was dedicated in his memory in 1972.

This is a link to Judge Gage's memorial. She stepped down from the Michigan Court of Appeals in 2006 due to health problems. She had long suffered from MS. She died September 13, 2010 at 71.

http://www.courts.michigan.gov/supremecourt/Press/091410-JudgeGage.pdf

T
    his obit includes the story of her children's deaths:

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...8462985911.txt
    Last edited by gazhekwe; November-15-11 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Corrected cause of death of Robbie Gage

That park was in the news recently. Supposedly, a homeless man had been living in the woods and he was killing the deer. My friend has a Aunt that lives in the Condo complex that faces the woods to the North. I believe the Complex is called Cumberland Village. Anyway, there are plenty of deer that live in the woods, and they've been known to cross Inkster and come into residents yards on occasion in Farmington Hills.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-15-11 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! I thought there was a story behind the park, so I am a little bit wiser.