Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Rebuilding Detroit 2011- a map of our progress

I had some spare time this weekend and wanted to make a map of all of the developments that were either announced/speculated, in progress, or completed during calendar year 2011. I'm probably missing a few things, but I think I covered the big ones. I'll update if new projects surface before Jan 1st.

As you can see, greater downtown made some big strides in '11:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...91986,0.445976

Someday, if I have enough time, I'd like to make one that includes everything from 2005 on, which I think was the tipping point and would include some major renovation and construction projects. I hope 2012 will be even better!

Heavy on the hipster? What about stuff that has happened outside of the Central City such as the Expansion of Sinai Grace, Woodward Rail, the Detroit to Ann Arbor train project......

Well, I didn't include any infrastructure developments because none of it is finalized [[even though I did include some speculative projects that have only been discussed). The information I used to make the map comes from media announcements, i.e. Crain's, Detroit News, Freep, ModelD, etc. so if certain parts of the city have been neglected, I blame the media. This is the thread on CityData where the developments are actually recorded [[mostly by me over the past year): http://www.city-data.com/forum/detro...elopments.html

In Detroit, speculated is always the most impressive category.

An interesting project, and definitely a solid argument for progress.

But keep in mind that hipster-related commerce is a tiny proportion of overall municipal vitality. The city will live or die based on 6 & Livernois, Dexter & Davison, etc. Are those areas progressing?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    In Detroit, speculated is always the most impressive category.
    True, but most of the developments on the map are either in progress or complete. Only a handful are anticipated, namely the new Wings arena and development of the Hudson block.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

But keep in mind that hipster-related commerce is a tiny proportion of overall municipal vitality. The city will live or die based on 6 & Livernois, Dexter & Davison, etc. Are those areas progressing?
    I don't know if I agree, and it isn't fair to categorize all of these developments as "hipster-related." That label is pretty disingenuous and also devalues their importance. I mean, is the DMC expansion hipster-related? How about the redevelopment of Broderick Tower, David Whitney, and makeover of Cobo Hall? Those are major undertakings that have nothing to do with so-called hipsters.

Also, I don't think the future of the city turns exclusively on the growth of the outer neighborhoods. Who is going to invest in those areas? Outside of the historic housing, what assets do they offer? Even Bing knows that several areas do not have the desirability to ever be successful. You and I will disagree on this, but I think that the future of the entire region turns on the success of the central city its surrounding neighborhoods.

Edit: It is my impression that no matter how much progress Detroit's urban core makes and no matter how vibrant it becomes, you will always point to the struggling parts of the city to prove that the urban center is not successful. OTOH, I will point out that the inner-ring suburbs suffer from the same problem as Detroit's struggling outer neighborhoods- that they offer little in terms of their advantages.
    Last edited by BrushStart; November-14-11 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

I think you raise an interesting question, and one on which there has been a terrible void in leadership. I know what you are saying here. I also know we can't rebuild the entire city all at the same time. It's just too big. I mean, we're talking about a revitalization that will likely take 20 years.

The problem is a political nightmare. If we rebuild the city with the shotgun approach, it takes way too long before there's any critical mass. People will cry, "Where's the progress?? What a waste of effort and resources!

But if we focus all our efforts on rebuilding 5 square miles, that area will look amazing in 5 years, and the other 138 square miles looks like hell. And people cry, "It's been 5 years, and we've seen nothing."

Politics or not, the city will not rebuild in a geographically equal manner. There's too much land, not enough money. This is a battlefield, and we have to triage. You aren't going to save all the wounded. Pick the ones who have a chance and throw everything you've got at it.

I'm fine with the focused approach. Pick 5 viable neighborhoods and just throw everything you have at making them shine. Even if means my neighborhood is one to go. I'm a transplant, so whatever it takes to turn this city around.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    True, but most of the developments on the map are either in progress or complete. Only a handful are anticipated, namely the new Wings arena and development of the Hudson block.
    Actually, I was thinking more about the 2,000 riverfront condos. Nonetheless, you put a lot of work into this and the results are impressive. But I still think Mauer wouldn't have had such a lousy season if he was't so focused on his new restaurant.

Very nicely put together

You added Ka Cent, but no LAX!

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    You added Ka Cent, but no LAX!
    Haha. In my humble opinion LAX does not equal progress. Also, I have a feeling they wont be around much past 2011.

You're missing three of the biggest projects in the city [[and also the State of Michigan) that started in or had major phases start in 2011 and are actually under construction as we speak: Cornerstone Estates, Emerald Springs and Gardenview Estates. All three are Detroit Housing Commission projects:

http://dhcmi.org/developmentProjects.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by BVos View Post
    You're missing three of the biggest projects in the city [[and also the State of Michigan) that started in or had major phases start in 2011 and are actually under construction as we speak: Cornerstone Estates, Emerald Springs and Gardenview Estates. All three are Detroit Housing Commission projects:

http://dhcmi.org/developmentProjects.aspx
    Thanks for the reminder, I will be sure to add those when I get a chance.

...also the Michigan Bell Building seems to be firmly under renovation. All the floors are now lit up at night with what seems to be construction lights [[basing this on what I see from the Lodge at night).

Love it! Keep up the good work BrushStart!