Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Has anyone installed basement glass block windows?

My basement windows need to be replaced and I'd like to but the glass block in myself. I've done a lot of cement/mortar work around my house and did a good job so I'm thinking I could do the work mentioned above. Is it relatively easy?
    If so I'll take any tips anyone wants to throw out.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by rjk; November-12-11 at 07:57 PM.

I did mine about 10 years ago, and if I can do it anybody can. The hard part for me was getting the old windows out. The first couple took a long time, but by the time I finished the last one I could have done it for a living. Since you say you've done some mortar work you will have no real issues.

You know they make pre-fab units, right? Standard sizes should fit right in to the existing opening once you get the old frame out. Some come with operable vents or openings for your dryer vent hose.

Not sure if the prices are comparable to individual blocks.

Where did you get your windows? I was up at Home Depot and they had my size for around $60.

Yeah, I figured getting the old windows out would be the toughest part. What kind of tools did you use?

You'll want to leave at least enough space to allow a garden hose in case you ever need to pump out a flooded basement.

I used a prybar, chisel and hammer to get my old windows out. The standard size glass block windows fit pretty good, just had to use mortar around the edges. I went with half of the windows with the vents. If I had to do it again I think I would have had a couple more of the vented ones. They also make one with a fan vent. I wish I would have put one of those in too.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I used a prybar, chisel and hammer to get my old windows out. The standard size glass block windows fit pretty good, just had to use mortar around the edges. I went with half of the windows with the vents. If I had to do it again I think I would have had a couple more of the vented ones. They also make one with a fan vent. I wish I would have put one of those in too.
    I was planning to go with half vented. Are you not getting enough air in your basement?

I completed one today and it turned out very well. I just need to run some caulk along the top. You're right about taking the old windows out. Now that I know how they're anchored in the rest will be easier to get out.

Good choice. Glass block windows are pretty damn durable. I agree. Get a small modular vent opening in case you need to get fresh air down into the basement.

I'm getting enough air with half of the windows vented, but I probably should have placed them better. I put 2 on one side of the house, 1 on the back and none on the other side. I should have went with one more vented for a bit more air. Not really complaining though, they work great.

I went through wolverine glass block for my basement windows installed it did cost much more then what I would of paid at Home Depot and they did 5 windows in under an hour.
    the local paper always has ads for windows I have been very pleased with them
    www.wolverineglassblock.net

After you install, take an incense stick and check for air leaks. It's easy to miss spots if you are using a clear sealant.