Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Urban Science joins ranks of companies offering live-in-Detroit incentives

By Daniel Duggan

The Detroit-based automotive consulting firm Urban Science will join the group of companies offering incentives to employees to live in Detroit.

The company will offer $2,400 to employees who are new renters and $1,200 to existing renters who renew a lease.

It follows a trend of Detroit-based companies offering incentives to live downtown.

The Live Midtown incentives were announced this year, funded by the Detroit Medical Center, Henry Ford Health System and Wayne State University. Then Live Downtown was announced by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, DTE Energy Co., Compuware Corp., Quicken Loans Inc. and Strategic Staffing Solutions.

Joining the group of companies offering incentives is part of being in Detroit, Urban Science founder and CEO Jim Anderson said in a press release. As a $125 million business, he said, the midsize companies in Detroit have a role to play in the rebirth as well as the large companies.

"We've seen the great things that the large employers in the city are doing, and we've decided to make a real commitment to get behind those efforts and perhaps lead the way for the midsize companies to jump on board," Anderson said. "A rebirth of the city is a shared commitment, and we're proud to be a part of it."

Urban Science, which does consulting work on behalf of every automaker for car dealership and sales data, also consults with dealers on how to better use sales numbers.

The company has been in Detroit since 1977 and recently expanded its presence in the Renaissance Center to 100,000 square feet.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...REE/111119995#

More encouraging news about the rebirth of our city. The commitment that these companies are showing is what this city needs. Everyone who loves Detroit [[who live or don't live in the city) should make an effort in whatever way possible, small or large, to help bring us back.

While i think the incetives are a nice thing, i still dont think many people with families will want to live in the city with the schools in their current state.

Does anyone know why GM doesn't participate in this?

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    Does anyone know why GM doesn't participate in this?
    Funny enough, that crossed my mind as soon as I read about Urban Science joining the party. With GM's commitment to DPS, they clearly care about the city - I'm curious why they haven't done this. With so many employees in the city that could really help out.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    While i think the incetives are a nice thing, i still dont think many people with families will want to live in the city with the schools in their current state.
    Good thing the article didn't say anything about these incentives being limited only to people with families.

Great news. This is only the beginning, but there will be a payoff will be big for those who put their faith in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Funny enough, that crossed my mind as soon as I read about Urban Science joining the party. With GM's commitment to DPS, they clearly care about the city - I'm curious why they haven't done this. With so many employees in the city that could really help out.
    I'm a GM employee who works downtown and I would totally jump on that incentive were it available to me.

Would love to see the following 2 companies participate:

1) GM
    2) Ilitch Holdings