Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A Call for Old Corktown Photographs

My friend Scott and I just started a Flickr page that we hope will grow into a repository of old photographs of Corktown to be used by researchers, architects, and neighbors interested in local history. You can view the page here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corktownhistory

Scott has uploaded over 140 images from 1954, and I have uploaded a photo of every single house in the historic district [[and a few outside) that were taken in 1976 by the State Historic Preservation Office.

If you or anyone you know would like to contribute photos, please email us at corktownhistory [at] yahoo [dot] com.

Thanks!
    -Paul

Nice job, Paul!

Stromberg2

I have a large collection of 1950' era pictures that I borrowed from a neighbor who in turn borrowed from another neighbor. My friend Scott painstakingly scanned them for posterity. I can add them there. Great idea psewick. It would be cool to see other decades as well. I would love to see more turn of the century pics.

Great post, thanks. Its a shame what has happened to some streets - big industrial buildings now sit empty where nice, well-kept neighborhoods once sat!

Really great pictures in there. I remember riding my bike to Tiger games through Corktown in the 70s and early 80s and always stopping at a Dairy which I seem to remember being on 14th or 15th pretty near the train station. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Would love to see a picture of that, but the name escapes me.

A few random shots - can't find the hi-res versions at the moment.
    Name:  CorktownInn1.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  21.4 KB
    Name:  CorkStore.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  47.0 KB
    Name:  CorkFireStation.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  47.6 KB
    Name:  CorkHouse.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  50.0 KB

BTW nice site. I found 1 more:
    Name:  CPABldg.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  23.2 KB

This is part of the Ruether collection. There are several shots of Corktown before they urban renewaled the southern chunk of it.

http://www.reuther.wayne.edu/node/7230