Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Getting rid of dead electronics/appliances in Metro Detorit

Where can I go to get a window a/c, a dead tv, dead computer, dead VCR etc. etc. taken care of properly?

You missed the collection dates for Wayne County but, perhaps if you call someone at the phone numbers listed, they can direct you to the next colection.

http://www.co.wayne.mi.us/documents/news/e-waste.pdf

If you are in south oakland county [[or have a friend there)

This is a free service for residents of SOCRRA member communities.
    Call SOCRRA at 248.288.5153 to make an appointment to bring in your old electronic equipment for recycling. SOCRRA's Recycling Drop-off Center is located at 995 Coolidge [[between 14 & 15 Mile Roads) in Troy. Please bring a driver's license to verify residency. Because of federal waste laws, items must be from homes only.
    SOCRRA will accept any kind of electronic equipment including:
    • Computer Equipment – CPUs, Monitors, Keyboards, Printers, Mice, Hard Drives, Cables, Motherboards, Videoboards, Network Cards, Zip Drives, Laptops
    • Televisions*
    • Radios
    • Telephones/Cell Phones
    • Copy Machines
    • Fax Machines
    • Stereos
    • VCRs
    • CD Players

Find a foreclosed home nearby and place items on porch with note saying "For Jimmy" They will be gone in minutes. Do not place them on your own porch as the thieves will deduct that you have brand new electronics in your home and break in to steal them while you are away at work.

I have seen SOCRRA, and have dropped regular recycling there, but have never seen anywhere to leave the electronics. do you have to make an appointment for it?. i'm also a Wayne County guy. The number on the flier just give you a phone message with the same dates.

THanks
    Last edited by rb336; November-10-11 at 02:46 PM.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The perfect prank to pull on a nasty neighbor....................................

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Where can I go to get a window a/c, a dead tv, dead computer, dead VCR etc. etc. taken care of properly?
    In south Warren all you have to do is put them out on the curb on a trash night and scrappers will pick up all that stuff before city employees even get a chance to consider it.

In Oakland County SOCRRA will take care of it too.

http://www.recyclechicken.com/

http://www.rrrasoc.org/RRRASOC/Home.html

I put a couple of TV's out by the curb , scrappers took them in less that 90 minutes . So if you see scrappers on a regular basis , go for it
    Last edited by Wingnatic; November-10-11 at 04:16 PM.

It seems to me that Great Lakes Recycling on Groesbeck in Roseville will also take those items...but I can't swear to it.

Occurrence Guest

As already said, just put them out on the curb. I give them less than a half hour and they will be gone.

I think the poster wants to handle electronic parts responsibly - which is not to put them at the curb for scrappers to later dump all the parts they don't want into and contaminate the waste stream at a later time.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    It seems to me that Great Lakes Recycling on Groesbeck in Roseville will also take those items...but I can't swear to it.
    they do but for a fee. st. joan of arc in s.c.s. has a electronic recycling event once a year, i think in late spring or early summer. very well run...you don't even have to get out of the car. just hand them the items or pop your trunk and they take the items for you.
    Last edited by Maof; November-10-11 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    In south Warren all you have to do is put them out on the curb on a trash night and scrappers will pick up all that stuff before city employees even get a chance to consider it.

In Oakland County SOCRRA will take care of it too.
    SOCRRA will take electronics and fluorescent tubes by appointment. They actually checked my ID when I dropped off a carload of old electronics and tubes a few Saturdays ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    they do but for a fee. st. joan of arc in s.c.s. has a electronic recycling event once a year, i think in late spring or early summer. very well run...you don't even have to get out of the car. just hand them the items or pop your trunk and they take the items for you.
    MAOF -- Agreed. St. Joan's is a great event. They actually do it twice a year -- once in spring and again the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    MAOF -- Agreed. St. Joan's is a great event. They actually do it twice a year -- once in spring and again the fall.
    oh, i didn't know they did it twice a year. that's good to know

SOCRRA is for residents of Oakland County. Their taxes pay for it, that's why they card at the electronics drive-up.

Please people, don't tell them you're from Detroit. I've managed to drop off all my recycleables [[a whole car load at a time) there for years with out any issues, and I would REALLY APPRECIATE IT if you didn't screw it up for me or other Detroiters who care enough about recycling to drive 30 miles round trip to do it. Thank you.

ROTFL! Never truer words spoken!! Sadly. On that note, I try to bring in big ticket items at night and tear up and break-down any big boxes that housed high tech electronics not kept for storage purposes. You really can't 'advertise' certain purchase for that extra 'special' neighborhood watch which includes folks who may DRIVE THRU your neighborhood up to no good!

I had someone 'intercept' [[steal) a mail shipment to my home, left on my porch and then try to sale it to me! LOL! Now I just use/ pay for an off-sight private mail box service for things I have shipped, problem solved, but unfortunate.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Find a foreclosed home nearby and place items on porch with note saying "For Jimmy" They will be gone in minutes. Do not place them on your own porch as the thieves will deduct that you have brand new electronics in your home and break in to steal them while you are away at work.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-11-11 at 05:24 AM.

Yikes! Per comments looks like it is too late. Sad too, as once peeps/ organizations think any one is dumping something from Detroit, the vibe goes bad, and they start 'carding' as it were. Ugh! When in point of fact you were one of a few to bother. I hear the recycling initiative was approved/ voted on Tuesday. Someone will need to start a thread on that......
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    SOCRRA is for residents of Oakland County. Their taxes pay for it, that's why they card at the electronics drive-up.

Please people, don't tell them you're from Detroit. I've managed to drop off all my recycleables [[a whole car load at a time) there for years with out any issues, and I would REALLY APPRECIATE IT if you didn't screw it up for me or other Detroiters who care enough about recycling to drive 30 miles round trip to do it. Thank you.

Indeed I do need to do something with that all-in-one scanner, printer, copier of which only the scanner works now! Drats!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Indeed I do need to do something with that all-in-one scanner, printer, copier of which only the scanner works now! Drats!
    Keep it to use the scanner. All in one's blo...and printers are too expensive to use. I put my print work on a USB, then take it to staples.....much less expensive than fiddling with ink cartridges.

Well stated! The hype of consumer level, home printers being the end all for color photo printing has been exposed! You're best to use those printers for a few shots here and there, but better to continue to use a vendor such as Walgreens or Snapfish.com for large volume output! I just replace mine with another. I guess I just can't learn my lesson! I need all in one for space savings and Canon usually works out for me. The previous one got jammed and not worth the cost repair.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    Keep it to use the scanner. All in one's blo...and printers are too expensive to use. I put my print work on a USB, then take it to staples.....much less expensive than fiddling with ink cartridges.

I take mine to the Salvation Army drop off on Grand River south of 8 Mile in Redford. They take it all without question. What my be old and slow for one is better than nothing for another. I am guessing they also have contracts with salvagers and extractors. Many electronics have parts that are useful or contain valuable metals that can be gleaned.

However for computers, be sure to delete all your data from the hard drives or reformat the drives. You never know who may end up digging around. For complete securing, remove them.

I put my dead hair dryer in my Hazel Park curb side recycle bin and it was accepted with the rest of the recycling. I notice when I or my neighbors put out TVs or other appliences they get picked up by scrappers or folks looking for the parts.

Find any vacant lot in Brightmoor and dump away. Bonus points if you can prop your items up against an abandoned couch.

Wait... what? That's not the normal method?

I'm in Roseville, a couple of weeks ago, I had to get a new washer, I put the old one on the curb, and two guys in a van stopped and grabbed it in five minutes!
    Same thing with a broken lawnmower and hot water heater, just left them on the curb.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast