Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Remembering Gratiot Auto Supply

If you worked on - and built up - your car decades ago, you probably bought speed parts at Gratiot Auto Supply. I found things at Gratiot that today are beyond priceless. Like brand new - and correct - 2V Holley carbs for Ford FE tri-power intakes - and the full linkage setup to run it, too! The huge oval air cleaner filter elements were also there. Incredible store. I had a 67 Cougar factory "S" car that got great stuff from Gratiot. Just a fun memory for me from 1980...
    Last edited by Rockin' Best; November-09-11 at 07:14 PM.

With their spokesmodel Linda Vaughn [[Miss Hurst Golden Shifter): "... and with our new store [[jiggle, jiggle) in FLINT!!!"

Default Gratiot Auto Supply

I remember the store wery well and bought many parts from there.
    We used to call it the Gratiot Hot Rod Shop because that was the place to go for any speed equipment.
    Bill Toia was the owner and Junior [[Angelo), who was Bill's son-in-law worked there. Jack Goodwin used to drive a car that was sponsered by Gratiot Auto at Motor City Speedway.

I remember working on my 60s Chevys as a kid and not knowing much but whenever I called them up and explained some odd thing going on they would always tell me what was wrong and sell me the part to fix it. Great guys and lots of patience with me.

Default The odd stuff

Another thought about Gratiot. I remember seeing engine and trans parts that weren't regular production pieces. Not just Ford - other makes, too. I always wondered if guys who worked at the plants were tossing this stuff in their car trunks and unloading it at the store. It's something I remember that was very cool about that place.

Default Gratiot Auto

I bought some super wide Inglewood tires from them for my 1967 Firebird 400 that I saw at the 1967 Auto Show. They were too wide to fit inside the wheelhouse opening so I had to put on air shocks to lift the rear end so they would't rub. I lived on the east side so I always went to the Gratiot store.
    Name:  gratiot1.jpg
Views: 7612
Size:  51.5 KB

Here you go, guys, knock your lights out: more pictures at the link below.

http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com...l-hurst-girls/

Nice photo site, Jcole - it brings back a lot of memories.

Attachment 11196

It was pretty awesome when factory guys were tricking-out cars and running them on the streets of Detroit after dark. That car sitting next to you at a stoplight could be a factory superlight racer! Some of the hairiest street racing that every happened was right here. On Monday, the engineers would tweak whatever designs they had based on how well they did over the weekend!
    Last edited by Rockin' Best; November-13-11 at 09:28 PM.

Name:  gratiot auto.jpg
Views: 7789
Size:  22.1 KB Got this in 1968 when I purchased a set of Doug's headers from here for my 68 Plymouth road Runner.