Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Detroit Quiz:

Default Detroit Quiz:

I put in some variety for the kids. Some are easy, some are hard. Most [[like the dates) can't be easily found on the internet. Winner to recieve a postcard from the now demolished Chin Tiki.

[[1) Start you off easy: Who was the first person that the Nain Rouge haunted? What did he do to this person?

[[2) What current somewhat major political figure was granted a sizable section [[about a page) in "Hard Stuff."? [[Hint: young describes him VERY negatively, and uses a few choice words.)

[[3) At its peak, how many people arrived daily at MCS?

[[4) What year did the downtown Hudson's close?

[[5) What is the name of the underground railroad monument in Hart Plaza?

[[6) What year did the Ford Highland Park plant discontinue operation [[and turn into a warehouse)?

[[7) Lumber baron Joseph Weber lived in this home. Where did he move to about 15-20 years later?

[[8) REVISED TO BE EASIER: At what art gallery / building did Detroit Yes Administrator and artist Lowell publicly debut his micro-pointillist painting of "slumpy"?

[[9) What was / is the most expensive structure ever built in Detroit [[in inflation adjusted dollars)?

[[10) -
    [[a)How many miles of expressway in Detroit per capita?
    [[b) How many miles of expressway in LA per capita?
    Last edited by HazenPingree; June-05-09 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andylinn View Post
    [[4) What year did Hudson's close?
    The year 1983.

I will sweeten the deal. The first person to answer all the questions correctly will win a post card from the Chin Tiki.

I will mail it to you.

I believe #1 is Monsieur Cadillac.

I knew Hudson's closed in '83, but I got no clue as to the rest of those q's..

Could be a little more specific on #4? Hudon's never really closed. In 2001 [[I believe) they were re-branded Marshall Fields.

A "back of the envelope" shot at number 10:

15 [[I-94) + 15 [[I-74) + 15 [[I-96) + 15 [[Lodge) + 2 [[Davison) + 1 [[I-375) + 9 [[Southfield) = 72

divided by 900,000 = 8 * 10^-5 miles per capita.

Guess for L.A. is 4 * 10^-5 miles per capita; whatever the figure, I'm pretty sure it's the lowest of any big American city.
    Last edited by MrNittany; June-04-09 at 07:48 PM.

No. 9. The people Mover

to clarify, by Hudson's, I mean the downtown Hudsons. And the year tossed out there, 1983, is correct.

I think I may have some answers:
    1. Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac-He lost his fame and fortune.
    4. Flagship store-1983; 2001-Marshall Fields
    5. Gateway to Freedom International Memorial to the Underground Railroad
    10 a. 23.1 b. 23.1
    I am very curious to the answer to #7 Also: #9

I will help you guys out a little bit by responding to jjw! [[good work by the way, these are VERY hard questions...)

1. Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac-He lost his fame and fortune. [[correct)
    4. Flagship store-1983; 2001-Marshall Fields [[correct)
    5. Gateway to Freedom International Memorial to the Underground Railroad [[correct)

jjw, how did you happen to calculate your per capita highway figure, you may be right, I just want to know the means you used.

Quote Originally Posted by andylinn View Post
    [[1) Start you off easy: Who was the first person that the Nain Rouge haunted? What did he do to this person?
    That Nain Rouge was a real nain in the ass.

Retroit Guest

Heck, I'd be happy just to find out what Nain Rouge is/was. Does it have anything to do with William Murphy?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Heck, I'd be happy just to find out what Nain Rouge is/was. Does it have anything to do with William Murphy?
    Here you go.

Heck, I'd be happy just to find out what Nain Rouge is/was.
    He used to post here. Whatever happened to him?

My bad. You did state that it was the downtown Hudsons in your original post. Sorry.

I think I have a few more answers, or at least I hope I do.

6. 1981
    7. Home - 9200 Dwight Blvd. / Work - 926 Sherman btw. Hastings & Rivard
    8. Work: Detroit Gallery "Intersection" UM Detroit Center
    9. Ren Cen [[I think) $350 million in 1977 / $913,255,00 today's money

I want to take a stab in the dark at number 2. Dave Bing

Great questions. Here are a couple of my foggy memories / guesses.

1972 - was tractor plant in the end [[6) What year did the Ford Highland Park plant discontinue operation [[and turn into a warehouse)?

LBP[?] -[[2) What current somewhat major political figure was granted a sizable section [[about a page) in "Hard Stuff."? [[Hint: young describes him VERY negatively, and uses a few choice words.)

Fisher Building [?] [[9) What was / is the most expensive structure ever built in Detroit [[in inflation adjusted dollars)?
    Last edited by Lowell; June-07-09 at 08:09 AM.