Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lights of Detroit Database/Website Project

Looking for proactive people to build the Lights of Detroit community and database...

The brainzap for Lights of Detroit hit me in July 2011 when I was reading the NY Times article “Detroit Pushes Back with Young Muscles”. I saw the possibility of a website that would build pride and convey inspiration while providing an easy user-friendly way to access the fabulous resources of Detroit. The vision of Lights of Detroit is to connect and bring awareness to all of the great things happening within the city limits of Detroit right now: renovations, development, artists, musicians, businesses, gardens, entrepreneurs, resources, etc.

The image that immediately flashed into my mind was a stylized tourist map of Detroit, with key landmark building icons. It was dusk, with a sunset in the distance. The City was alive with different hues of glowing spots of light – each light signifying someone who is consciously making a difference. The map was interactive – zoom in and out, hover over a Light for the name, click for a popup window with information and links.

I had to set the project aside for a little bit, and I'm ready to go full steam now.

I'm looking for anyone and everyone who wants to get involved...

These guys may be a good resource for you: http://whydontweownthis.com/

Their interactive map, while used for another purpose, may work for what you have in mind.

yup! love what they are doing with livinginthemap, too. i have talked briefly with jerry from loveland and we will be talking more in depth.

y'all know that any resource you need in detroit is only a person or two away, it's just a matter of finding the right connections.

one of the things i'm specifically looking for are tech savvy people to help set up a text database on http://lightsofdetroit.com/ . as soon as that is done, we can start crowd-building the database.