Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Recommendations for Appliance Retailers

Hello all!
    I've posted here a few years ago and just re-registered to pick your brains about retail appliances places. I need to replace my refrigerator and would like to use someone local as opposed to the big box stores.

From google search, I've tried contacting City Appliance on 7 mile multiple times, the phone is never answered. Moe's Appliance also is not answering [[although I have used them in the past for service and was very happy!), and contacted West Fort Appliance—the woman was dishonest about their inventory so when I went to look, I was dismayed at the quality of the appliances and the prices were much too high [[comparable with brand new, but in poor condition: e.g. drawers taped together).

Am I missing a local business in town, or the immediate surrounding areas? I am willing to buy a new fridge, but do not need anything fancy. I do need delivery and pick up of the old, barely working one. I am unable to buy from an independent seller because of those two reasons: I am physically unable to move a fridge myself and would like the coordination of the move to be as easy as possible and would prefer a warranty for damage/repairs if it is a used fridge.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I would check out a Sears Outlet Center [[livonia has one)
    Delivery is available and you might qualify for a rebate or what vere its called when you trade in a non energy efficient older unit.

thanks for the rec for Sears. and good tip on the rebates, I'll look into that!

Is this the Moe's on W Warren that deals with mostly used appliances?

For new, ABC is not bad, but you have to be able to have a thick skin and be able to dicker. I like shopping there because it is locally owned and stocks Whirlpool [[Benton Harbor).

A good place to look for rebates would be from your utility company [[DTE or Consumers, depanding upon location).

ABC Warehouse if you know what you want and how much you want it for.

However, I usually do a bunch of online research and then buy online too. I recently bought a Maytag Dishwasher for $380. I did lots of research and found the cheapest tax+delivery price was from Home Depot's website. They delivered it right to my door on the day of my choosing [[Saturday morning).

yes, Moe's on Warren. Harry came and repaired my stove for me this summer and was fast, careful, and we had a good conversation while he worked. Explained what he was doing and how to keep it maintained. But now they aren't answering their phone!

I'll check ABC, too, even though I am not a good negotiator! I got ripped off by them [[in Flint) 15 years ago on a microwave and haven't been back since. I saw the same model on the floor at Best Buy the same week for $50 cheaper after the guy made me feel like a jerk for asking if he could do better on it...

Try Ollie Fretter ... he’ll give you five pounds of coffee if he can’t beat your best deal!

^^^
    Damn, Nerd, you stole my line...an hour too late, for me!

Stromberg2

Try Sargent Appliance in Clinton Twsp. They'll take your old fridge and move in your new one to your specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    Try Sargent Appliance in Clinton Twsp. They'll take your old fridge and move in your new one to your specifications.
    I have to disagree. just had 2 appliances delivered a few weeks ago. i told the sales guy i was comparison shopping and he proceeds to get on his computer and tell me the other retailers do not sell the same product. well, i had just come from best buy, sears and lowe's and they do. i went with them because it was saving me about $200.00.

then the delivery guys come...four of them. two to actually take out the old and bring in the new [[one went in the garage, the other to the curb) and two for water and gas hook-up. very shady from the get go. the one guy fished for a tip and i told him i just paid for delivery. then one of the "hook-up" guys wanted to "put the brochure on the kitchen table". now why would he do that when i'm standing right there and you could hand it to me? then the other one wanted to use the bathroom, well, i really got weirded out by then and told him the one downstairs toilet didn't work and i did not want him upstairs. he was pissed. i just had a feeling all they wanted to do was scope out the joint.

I did want to call the store but at the time, was afraid these ex-con looking guys would come back. but after seeing that report on channel 7 last night, i just might do it now. i'd rather pay the extra and go somewhere else then go with these guys again.

I was looking for a new washer several years ago and went to ABC warehouse The washer in the ad was at a good price. I asked about the washer and was told they had none in stock and they showed me another one, less features, very basic, cheaper price. Not what I wanted at all. I thought bait and switch, so I left the store. Also no salesperson ever came back to check to see if I had any questions or was ready to make a purchase. I went to Adray's [[which sadly is now closed), got good customer service and the washer I wanted at a fair price within my budget. Delivery and hook up of the new washer went smoothly, old one was removed, no problem.

Another time I went to ABC warehouse for a simple radio. Took about 20 minutes for someone to finally come and ask if I needed help. I couldn't find the radios at first, they were on some bottom shelf and weren't visable right off the bat. I told the salesperson what I was looking for and once he found out all I wanted was a radio, he pointed them out and walked away. I guess since I wasn't buying an expensive appliance, he couldn't be bothered. I left.

I'll check ABC, too, even though I am not a good negotiator! I got ripped off by them [[in Flint) 15 years ago on a microwave and haven't been back since. I saw the same model on the floor at Best Buy the same week for $50 cheaper after the guy made me feel like a jerk for asking if he could do better on it...
    Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    I was looking for a new washer several years ago and went to ABC warehouse The washer in the ad was at a good price. I asked about the washer and was told they had none in stock and they showed me another one, less features, very basic, cheaper price. Not what I wanted at all. I thought bait and switch, so I left the store. Also no salesperson ever came back to check to see if I had any questions or was ready to make a purchase. I went to Adray's [[which sadly is now closed), got good customer service and the washer I wanted at a fair price within my budget. Delivery and hook up of the new washer went smoothly, old one was removed, no problem.

Another time I went to ABC warehouse for a simple radio. Took about 20 minutes for someone to finally come and ask if I needed help. I couldn't find the radios at first, they were on some bottom shelf and weren't visable right off the bat. I told the salesperson what I was looking for and once he found out all I wanted was a radio, he pointed them out and walked away. I guess since I wasn't buying an expensive appliance, he couldn't be bothered. I left.

I have also boycotted ABC Warehouse for the past fifteen years for the same reasons quoted above. Just a week ago, I called them about having a car stereo installed. I was transferred between stores, disconnected twice, and got a twenty something idiot installer that said the "Free" installation would cost $70 - $100 and he would have to take the whole dashboard off. I checked the Chilton's manual for the car, which said to slide out the ashtray, remove three screws from underneath and slide out the stereo!
    I called him back and told him about what I found, and he told me to drive 30 miles to the store for him to "look" at it.

They've lost me as a customer for at least another 15 years.

I've used Mickey Shorr in the past, that has also padded the "Free" installation with extra hidden fee's, but I'll try them again if somebody has had a good experience with them recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I did want to call the store but at the time, was afraid these ex-con looking guys would come back. but after seeing that report on channel 7 last night, i just might do it now. i'd rather pay the extra and go somewhere else then go with these guys again.
    I'm guessing they sometimes contract out installs. We bought a new range from the Sargent in Rochester - they had the best price we could find that included delivery. The delivery guy was great, in and out in ten minutes, including unpacking the new range and pulling out the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I'm guessing they sometimes contract out installs. We bought a new range from the Sargent in Rochester - they had the best price we could find that included delivery. The delivery guy was great, in and out in ten minutes, including unpacking the new range and pulling out the old one.
    yes they do. they were just creepy from the get go. i mean, why wouldn't the one guy just hand me the instruction booklet instead of wanting to go through my house to put it on the kitchen table? just weird. i don't think i'll have anything delivered again without hubby being home.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Try Ollie Fretter ... he’ll give you five pounds of coffee if he can’t beat your best deal!
    I remember when Highland and Fretter were the biggest competitors in this area. Was the HIghland Appliance on Woodward in Highland Park the original store of that chain?