Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Tire Thieves

Default Tire Thieves

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/19645542/detail.html

This has been going on for quite sometime in my former neighborhood near Marygrove college. I wonder what has causes the low-life thieves to branch out.

Two Junes ago I woke up to a funny squeaking sound outside on the street. After several squeaks I got up and went to look out to find that someone had my car up on tire jacks and was taking off the street-side tires. I keep a set of my car keys on a hook by my bedroon window and I set off the car alarm. Also, my house alarm. The guy melted away into the night.

Next day I went to a tire store and bought two different sets of car locks and had them installed. Each tire now has two locks, each different. The likliehood of a tire thief having all the sets he would need is small.

Nothing further.

A friend had his tires stolen from his car in the gated parking lot of the Leland Lofts between noon and 3 pm about two weeks ago. That was the third of fouth car to be hit there in the past month, all during daylight hours.

About a year ago I saw a wheel fly off a woman's car in the Gratiot/8 Mile area.
    I ended up chasing the wheel down and it turned out that all her lug nuts were taken off her wheels. It appears that she interrupted a wheel thief before he got the job done.

gravitymachine Guest

must be hard to take just the tires

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Each tire now has two locks, each different. The likliehood of a tire thief having all the sets he would need is small.
    My mother had someone just cut the lug studs right off to get around her tire locks.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitymachine View Post
    must be hard to take just the tires
    Yeah no kidding.

You would think the news would get it right, wheels are not tires.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/19645542/detail.html

This has been going on for quite sometime in my former neighborhood near Marygrove college. I wonder what has causes the low-life thieves to branch out.
    It's more than likely at least one of these thiefs could be from Madison Heights.