Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lions Fans Protest Nickelback: Petition Asks To Pull Band From Thanksgiving Halftime

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...tml?ref=sports

The Detroit Lions are enjoying a renaissance this season. Entering their bye week boasting a 6-2 record, the Lions trail the Packers in the NFC North, but are leading the chase for a Wild Card playoff berth. The offense is led by the potent combination of Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson while coach Jim Schwartz's defense, led by Ndamukung Suh, plays fast and aggressive as the muscle cars that defined the city in its heyday.
    With bona fide stars in Suh and Megatron, these Lions are getting some swagger about them. Heck, Schwartz is even picking fights with other coaches. The fans at Ford Field are also starting to find their voice. Earlier this season, they turned out en masse for the franchise's first "Monday Night Football" game in years. After a stretch housing lackluster teams, Ford Field in Detroit is now host to one of the best weekly parties in the NFL.Like any party, music selection is always important. Well, Lions fans have come out in numbers to make it clear that they do not want to hear Canadian rockers Nickleback at halftime of the the team's Thanksgiving game.An online petition claims that "The Lions ought to think about their fans before choosing such an awful band to play at halftime," and requests that the club replace the band.With the defending Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers coming to town while a tryptophan-addled audience tunes in from coast to coast, the Lions will look to make an impression on the field. The city of Detroit also wants to send the right message: They want the rest of us to know that they do not like Nickleback.

Sign the petition here: http://www.change.org/petitions/the-...nksgiving-game
    Last edited by I <3 DET; November-05-11 at 10:03 AM.

These so-called fans should channel their ire for something that really matters. The half-time show, regardless of what it might be, is so far down the list of priorities for true football fans, to protest something so mundane makes one appear to be a complete asshat.

The folks in Detroit will come off looking like taste-faries if they continue this silly protest. If you don't like Nickleback: drain the lizard, baste the bird, crack a brew and fill the doritoes bowl.

Life ain't that hard. Give thanks we have a team this year.

21 million albums sold in the U.S. 50 million albums sold worldwide , so someone likes them . This will be on National TV , so who cares what the entertainment will be . Its not like it will be a 2 hour concert . Even though I don't care for their latest , I like them .

I'd rather see Iggy and the Stooges play it, but it doesn't really matter to me.

I'm in agreement with others here. True Lions fans don't give a rat's patoot as to who plays at halftime of the Thanksgiving Day game. I don't think anyone would have a rise even if it was Elvis opening for the Beatles with Jimi Hendrix on guitar... well maybe. But I think this is just a stink against Nickelback more so than anything else [[again, not sure why). This is about as important as who plays halftime for the Super Bowl- it's not. And how Nickelback is this reflective of the city or the Lions is beyond me. I don't recall any of the halftime acts for Super Bowl were reflective of the city they played the game in nor were they reflective of the NFL or the two teams competing.

If anything, halftime is ideal time for those of us to take a piss break, grab some more food or just chill from what we hope to be a good ball game.

Dont mess with corporate greed, the networks could care less about Detroit, this is about ratings and bucks so just chill.
    Lions are lucky to still have a Thanksgiving day game so be happy.
    I will piss at halftime and try and get a fresh beer before they shut it off.
    I at least hope they actually play live and not fake it.

I've never understood half time shows. No matter who the band is it just seems corny to me. It's a football game. It makes about as much sense as going to a good concert, the band takes a break and a football team comes out and walks around the stage for 10 minutes. What's the connection?