Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Potential emergency managers for Detroit

Michael Finney
    Joseph L. Harris
    Fred Leeb
    Joyce Parker
    Louis Schimmel

http://www.freep.com/article/2011110...nagers-Detroit

Considering how cozy Snyder is with Finney and the back history would you feel comfortable with these two in control of Detroit?

http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...eeping-errors/

After three years in operation, LDFA discovered SPARK had not properly documented some of the hours its workers spent providing services to businesses within the cities of Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti. LDFA commissioned a law firm to conduct an audit of the contract between LDFA and SPARK, a contract in which LDFA provided $872,836.
    After the $20,000 audit, the entities agreed SPARK had over billed LDFA by $45,643.75 and under billed it by $22,031.25 for various services. SPARK, which had an annual budget of $2.7 million at the time, agreed to refund $23,612.50 to LDFA, and the dispute was resolved.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D9GPMCH80.htm

But maybe his relatives in Detroit that own a major building company with lots along woodard would prefer the family to be closer anyways.

The others I do not know much about any thoughts?
    Last edited by Richard; November-04-11 at 08:44 PM.

It should be someone from timbuktu who does not know a soul in the city and who carries a huge shovel to get rid of the shit! No connections means no pats on the back, good fellow stuff.

What about Dave Bing?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    What about Dave Bing?
    He is where they want him.

The Target is here

http://bridgemi.com/2011/09/get-crac...ceRecrawl:%200

http://detroitregionaerotropolis.com...rs.htm#private

Notice who the backer is at the bottom ,They need Finney in Detroit,if Michagan was so in need of attracting buisness why would the Gov take what he said was the best man to head MEDC now remove him to be a EFM in Detroit?

Default Would you sign the petition to repeal the emergency manager law?

There is action to repeal the emergency manager law passed by the Republican legislature and signed by Gov. Rick Snyder earlier this year. As many of us know, this law allows the governor to inject steroids into any emergency manager that he appoints thus giving that EM dictatorial powers over any school district or municipality. Using these powers have already been demonstrated by Roy Robers and Joe Harris.

Now, I think many of us understand that when a municipality or a school district is in trouble, then someone from the outside should come in to help straighten things out but to allow them to have the only voice was never the way to go. Dave Bing would love to have these powers because he would be the only voice in Detroit and he wouldn't need to run for reelection because he would be in control of the city through decree of the state. This should never happen. I would sign this petition because too much power is a bad thing. Would you sign it?

http://www.freep.com/article/2011110...aw-gains-steam

Yes I would sign it.

In my world Dave Bing would not be able to be mayor and EM at the same time.

I would not sign it but I would sign a petition where Oakland County become the financial manager of Detroit.

I would never sign it. While EMs are harsh and should be seldom used, they do have a purpose. Part of governing- perhaps the major part of governing- is raising money and spending it on services. When said government is unable to pay for its services, it effectively ceases to be self-governing. That imperils not only the physical safety of the citizens and financial well being of said government, but of localities throughout the state, and ultimately the state of Michigan. No one would lend a penny if there was a decent chance they would not be repaid.

I do strongly agree that neither Mayor Bing nor anyone in a city's already dysfunctional political culture should be considered for EFM. To be effective, it would really need to an outsider to government.

I would definitely sign a petition to repeal the current version of the emergency manager law.

When I was reading the list of potential EMs for Detroit, it gave me pause. How does the EM actually help? The list included the former EMs of Pontiac, Hamtramck, Benton Harbor, and Ecorse. Looking at progress made in these cities, it is hard to see how the whole process helps at all. Also the DPS under emergency management has failed to progress much by all appearances. I guess we could say a start has been made, but it is hard to see forward momentum in any of the cases.

Michael Finney: President and CEO of the Michigan Economic Development Corp., the state's lead economic development agency; past president and CEO of Ann Arbor SPARK, a public-private partnership with a mission of advancing innovation-based economic development in Ann Arbor; former assistant city manager of Saginaw. • Joseph L. Harris: Emergency manager for Benton Harbor; served 10 years as City of Detroit auditor general, ending in 2005; served as Detroit's chief financial officer under Mayor Ken Cockrel Jr.; taught accounting at several universities.
    • Fred Leeb : Former emergency manager in Pontiac, appointed by Gov. Jennifer Granholm in 2009; ordered the sale of the Pontiac Silverdome; has operated his own consulting firm since 1995.
    • Joyce Parker: Emergency manager for Ecorse; served as city manager of Saginaw, 1995-97, and of Inkster, 2004-08; was president of the Municipal Group, an Ann Arbor-based company that provides organizational assessments, training, community and economic development, personnel and interim staff services to cities, townships and counties nationwide.
    • Louis Schimmel: Emergency manager for Pontiac; served as the court-appointed receiver in Ecorse and emergency manager in Hamtramck; served on the Michigan Commission on Public Pension and Retiree Health Benefits; worked for Warren as an executive assistant before being named to the Pontiac post in September.

I think that the EM law helps because, among other powers, the EFM can nullify labor contracts, if I recall correctly from when the lawwas passed. A mayor and city council would need the union to go along. But operating with an EFM is like operating in bankruptcy. A lot more is on the table. The step after EFM is bankruptcy, which means that a federal bankruptcy court would takeover city government. The court's legal mandate would be to sort out the financial mess, not to administer the city's programs. The court would be free to sell any and all assets and fire anyone. The EFM law I think is designed to keep it from going that far. NYS set up a financial control board to monitor NYC's finances for 30 years to keep it out of bankrupfcy. The last thing they wanted was a federal judge closing departments, chopping salaries, and in effect running the city. It was a mixed blessing. It did keep NYC solvent, but the tax burden did become oppressive for residents. Not a lot of middle class homeowners left in NYC. Rich people, poor people, and in-betweeners living in small apartments with multiple roommates.

Detroit's best solution, even if unlikely to occur, would be to make it's own massive cuts. At least then Detroiters will be choosing what they want to keep or get rid of.

I'd sign the petition.

The law gives incentives to would-be emergency managers to do anything possible to sabotage the very groups they would hope to manage. Read Shock Doctrine.

Side note: In today's hardcopy Free Press they misspelled "manager" as "manger" twice—once on the front page and again on page 3A.

One other point: the petition is useless. This law will not be repealed by the legislature or by Michigan voters. The law prevents Detroit [[or Pontiac or wherever) from taking down the states credit status and financial viability. Detroit, Benton Harbor, Pontiac, and Flint are a relatively small part of the state. The rest of the state will justifiably act in their own self-interest and keep the law.

This whole situation reminds me of a little kid [[Detroit) not wanting to clean up its room. Mom & Dad have said, "If we need to clean your room, we'll throw away whatever we need to." The kid's response is not to seriously clean up the room, but rather to protest that the parent's don't have the right. Good luck with that, kids.

I would not sign it. Cities are a creation of the State Government and as such the State has to be able to control the situation.

It is like this. Suppose a parent is a co-signer on their kid’s credit card. As long as the kid pays his bills, no problem. When the co-signer has to get involved, things will get resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    One other point: the petition is useless. This law will not be repealed by the legislature or by Michigan voters. The law prevents Detroit [[or Pontiac or wherever) from taking down the states credit status and financial viability. Detroit, Benton Harbor, Pontiac, and Flint are a relatively small part of the state. The rest of the state will justifiably act in their own self-interest and keep the law.

This whole situation reminds me of a little kid [[Detroit) not wanting to clean up its room. Mom & Dad have said, "If we need to clean your room, we'll throw away whatever we need to." The kid's response is not to seriously clean up the room, but rather to protest that the parent's don't have the right. Good luck with that, kids.
    My friend, I would like to know where you came across the idea that a law, any law can't be repealed? Last time I checked, this is still a democracy or have the Republicans already turned Michigan into a dictatorship.

It is a good law as it stands, it had the support of our former Governor Jennifer Granholm because she had learned the previous EFM law was toothless.

Deal with it.

Would the MI Supreme Court overturn the law? Prior to the Legislature passing the new EM bill, maybe they should have repealed the Home Rules Cities Act.

http://michiganmessenger.com/53725/s...nager-law-case

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    It is a good law as it stands, it had the support of our former Governor Jennifer Granholm because she had learned the previous EFM law was toothless.

Deal with it.
    That is not true. When Robert Bobb was EFM for DPS, he was in control of all finances. That means he was in control of the money but Bobb wanted control over everything. He wanted to be able to hire and fire and set curriculum for DPS students and he forgot that his job was to stop the bleeding. No, it was not toothless.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    My friend, I would like to know where you came across the idea that a law, any law can't be repealed? Last time I checked, this is still a democracy or have the Republicans already turned Michigan into a dictatorship.
    R8RBOB, reread my post. I didn't say the law couldn't be repealed, as in it could not possibly be done. The EFM law is a state law, and it is in the interests of most state residents to keep it. So there will not be a majority in favor of repealing it. That is my point. Now I would argue it is particularly in the interests of places like Detroit and Pontiac and Flint to keep the law. But even if you could make an argument that it wasn't, it safeguards the finances of the rest of the state to keep the law. 8.5M residents of financially stable places in Michigan will.not favor a change to allow <1M resident's governments to financially implode, taking the state's credit rating with them.

I would NOT sign.

It is necessary to have consequences when a city makes obligations that it cannot handle. That's what drives them to make fair, but highly unpleasant, deals.

A lot of people here seem to see this as a labor/management issue. And it is, but its not an attack. It actually strengthens both sides to get a fair deal done. Management doesn't wan to lose power, and Union's don't want to risk the wrath of an EFM. So both parties bargain in good faith, knowing that 'big brother' is in the next room.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    R8RBOB, reread my post. I didn't say the law couldn't be repealed, as in it could not possibly be done. The EFM law is a state law, and it is in the interests of most state residents to keep it. So there will not be a majority in favor of repealing it. That is my point. Now I would argue it is particularly in the interests of places like Detroit and Pontiac and Flint to keep the law. But even if you could make an argument that it wasn't, it safeguards the finances of the rest of the state to keep the law. 8.5M residents of financially stable places in Michigan will.not favor a change to allow <1M resident's governments to financially implode, taking the state's credit rating with them.
    I have news for you Mike. Most communities in this state are hurting and if you weren't aware, when Snyder came into office he talked about cutting. Come next year there will be a number of cities crying broke because the governor cut state funding for the cities. Now, I am sure a number of cities won't be crying for state help right away but I would imagine they would not want the state inserting a dictator if they needed help from the state.

The actual text of the law is available from Stop the Power Grab | StandUp4Democracy.com

[[Note the numeric "4" in the URL. A similarly-worded URL deals with D.C. issues.)

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    ..Most communities in this state are hurting...
    This 'hurting' is the result of their own decisions to not operate in a sustainable way. Build too many fancy new city halls; grant generous pensions and benefits to your salaried workforce; hire too many administrators; get involved in areas not core to your mission [[business development, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    This 'hurting' is the result of their own decisions to not operate in a sustainable way. Build too many fancy new city halls; grant generous pensions and benefits to your salaried workforce; hire too many administrators; get involved in areas not core to your mission [[business development, etc.).
    I agree completely. Can you be a victim if your wounds are self-inflicted? I would argue no. Cities that spend money in accorance with their population's size and the rate of inflation will not be in trouble. The size of a budget's problems is a direct and specific result of it's spending habits.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast