Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Matt's Safe School Law

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Parenting/l...2#.TrR_23Lf_u0

Gay Lansing teen kills himself after getting harassed. State government decides to write a school anti bullying bill in kid's name to prevent this stuff from happening. Senate republicans tweak bill to allow students a pass if there's a " sincerely held belief or moral conviction" and pass the law.

So what I get from this is . . . if a student, parent, teacher, or school employee is aware that Susie Q had an abortion and they find it morally reprehensible, they can lecture her for the rest of her days at school.

If a student, parent, teacher, or school employee is aware that John D. is gay, and they believe homosexuals are destined for hell, they can tell him this every day all day for the rest of his days at the school.

I'm comforted to know that I can teach my kids that overweight people are gluttons and gluttony is a mortal sin, and it's their duty to make sure all the fat kids at school are constantly aware of this.

I don't see how this could backfire.

As I interpret this law, a devout Muslim schoolkid could hector and bully their classmates about converting to Islam if this became law.

Did the Republicans think of that?

Or would the proposed law somehow be interpreted to not allow the sincere beliefs of a Muslim child be used to justify this?

Your guess is as good as mine. But the law of unintended consequences can be deliciously ironic.