Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

agrahlma Guest

Default The Temptations Vs The Four Tops

Too close to call --- slight, slight, slight, slight edge in favor of the Four Tops -- but that's just me [[LOL)! Your pick?

Ahhh this is so refreshing given the "music" that is produced these days.

Like there isn't already enough bickering and division on this board! Hmmm... I'd vote Jimmy Ruffin. Seriously though, probably The Four Tops. "Standing in the Shadow of Love" makes it. But damn... all the old Motown artists blow away anything or anyone since 1980. That's why I listen to the old stuff.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; November-03-11 at 09:04 PM.

The Dramatics are better than both of them.

But between the two, The Temptations by far. Though The Four Tops probably have the best song [[Still Waters Run Deep)

Levi is the man!! I loved his voice and his stylings with the Four Tops!!!

Who is that guy standing next to Levi...Is he supposed to be a Temptation....Not!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The Dramatics are better than both of them.

But between the two, The Temptations by far. Though The Four Tops probably have the best song [[Still Waters Run Deep)
    I agree, the Dramatics were under-rated. But choosing between the Tops and the Tempts, I'd take the Tempts.

Default Temps or Topps?

It's a TIE! They were BOTH GREAT performers. Each with their own style.

Another underrated group of that genre and that period is the Detroit Emeralds.

I love me some 4 Tops, but this is a no-brainer...Temptations forever.

neither of the faux-groups are even worth listening to. both legacies have been harmed by those recent touring ensembles posing as the temps and tops

bartock Guest

I vote for the Funk Brothers.

agrahlma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I vote for the Funk Brothers.
    Yeah - Joe Messina !

Both were great, but let's not forget, very few of those Motown groups would have made it without Berry Gordy [[a small number may have, Smokey immediately comes to mind), and they sure wouldn't have had all those great songs without those songwriters! Holland, Dozier and Holland got it started [[along with Smokey), and the hits kept coming even after they left. Whitfield and Strong, Ashford and Simpson,... And yes, the Funk Brothers were definitely a big part of it too.

Quote Originally Posted by agrahlma View Post
    Yeah - Joe Messina !
    Classy man. He sure could play guitar!!!!

Both as a youngster and as an adult I've seen both of them perform. Four-Tops all the way!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    ...and they sure wouldn't have had all those great songs without those songwriters! Holland, Dozier and Holland got it started [[along with Smokey), and the hits kept coming even after they left. Whitfield and Strong, Ashford and Simpson,... And yes, the Funk Brothers were definitely a big part of it too.
    That's why I have trouble telling them apart.

Someone asked who was standing with Levi in the still shot for the video. I'm not sure, but I think it's Ron Tyson.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Who is that guy standing next to Levi...Is he supposed to be a Temptation....Not!!!
    Richard Street.