Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Unhelpful comment by Oakland deputy exec

Without challenging Bob Daddow's accuracy, I question the prudence of telling an international business wire:
    “People have no job, no home, no credit and no reason to stay. We’re very much still on a downward spiral and we haven’t hit bottom yet. . . . we’re losing jobs by the thousands and only bringing them in by the hundreds.” "
    Dogs know enough not to crap in their own house, but Oakland County's deputy executive thinks that type of self-flagellation is . . . what exactly?

Naturally, the head on Bloomberg News Service's globally distributed report yesterday is:
    GM Bankruptcy May Say ‘No Reason to Stay’ to Detroit Residents

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a7IYfjQkC2RM

It also quotes Dennis Archer, Bob Stempel, author Kevin Boyle and Mike Smith of the Reuther Library . . all voicing blunt reality, but none quite as raw as what Brooks' deputy says.

Reminds me of the keep-it-at-home rule about financial/marital/mental/other trouble in the family. No, we sure can't hide that Metro Deteroit /Michigan are bleeding, but is it smart to say "people . . . have no reason to stay"?

--> Does Bob Daddow deserve points for tellin' it as it is . . . or derision for dumping excessively?

Daddow's only saying what many newspaper articles have already stated about the Detroit area. This wouldn't be news to anyone.

Crazy like a fox, maybe? The republicans are going to use this as their 2010 platform against the democrats. This is the state of the state and it's their fault.

Good point, Kraig.

Doh on me for not seeing the obvious political framing. They really can't restrain themselves, can they?

not at all. nevermind the fact that all these problems they blame on Jenny were things they could have changed when they had both houses and Jabba the Engler had they chosen to, never mind that more companies have relocated to michigan in the last 3 years than in all 12 of engler's combined.

trouble is, there are enough stupid people who will buy it to combine with the uber-reactionaries to turn the state over to another 4 years of repugnican corruption and incompetence

L.B.Patterson. [[ Mayor of White Detroit) said that "people . . . have no reason to stay"? meant that when GM falls, Detroit and its suburbs fall and people will move out and find alternative jobs or head back to college to get trained. Working in the car making assembly line is now considered to be a " Mc Job" not a permanent fulfilling career. You can get laid off when demand and profits drop severly. If People who worked in the automobile manufacturing plants long ago should have a safety net for their financial future, then they have to be in the buyout/lay-off mess.

By family used to be Del-Ray working steel mill, car makers until they decided to get out in the nick of time. To them it was a prison and took on alternative jobs and live productive lives.

“Detroit is finally having the funeral they’ve been waiting for and they can put it to rest and start rebuilding,”
    That's a good way to put it.

Good quote-flagging, iheartthed. Chi economist Diane Swonk, daughter of a 35-year GM vet, does say it quite well indeed.

And apt reminder of the importance of individual career-path decisions in all this, Danny. Like many cliches, destiny in our own hands is a famiar phrase 'cause it's true. Your family's Delray "jailbreak" is an example of winning, not whining.

Lastly, just to clarify: The "no reason to stay" bite is from LBP's deputy.

Due to the fact, the rest of the country is quickly catching up to us, is no reason to leave either.

I heard on the radio recently that, due to the national unemployment situation, there may now be more people emigrating from the U.S. than immigrating into the U.S.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I heard on the radio recently that, due to the national unemployment situation, there may now be more people emigrating from the U.S. than immigrating into the U.S.
    I'd like to see the numbers on that. American citizens aren't allowed to immigrate out of the U.S., so they must be talking about non-residents leaving.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I'd like to see the numbers on that. American citizens aren't allowed to immigrate out of the U.S., so they must be talking about non-residents leaving.
    Huh? What are you talking about? Anyone can immigrate to anywhere, provided the receiving country accepts you.

There are TONS of Americans living in Europe and Mexico, for example, and many now have joint-citizenship with the U.S. and their new country.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Huh? What are you talking about? Anyone can immigrate to anywhere, provided the receiving country accepts you.

There are TONS of Americans living in Europe and Mexico, for example, and many now have joint-citizenship with the U.S. and their new country.
    Tons? 4,000 pounds of people? That isn't very much in this country.

Anyway, says who?

Go try to renounce your U.S. citizenship, I dare you....

I think the word you are looking for is emigrate and why would you say something like that? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Due to the fact, the rest of the country is quickly catching up to us, is no reason to leave either.
    hey, did you read about gm filing for bankruptcy, and the plants closing in michigan? and did you see the news on american axle? the rest of the country is not "catching up to us." while other areas of the country are seeing the slide begin to taper...the bad news keeps rolling for michigan. for every auto job lost, there are at least six associated jobs that will disappear...from auto suppliers to hair dressers to bartenders. and think about the people and firms in michigan that have seen the worth of their gm stock evaporate. other states are poised for recovery, but michigan is still in free-fall.

Retroit Guest

Reality_Check, for a guy/gal with the name "Reality Check", why would you have a problem with someone stating a real fact? You haven't provided any contrary information that would disprove anything that Mr. Daddow said, so I presume you are just upset because someone refuses to pretend that things are not as bad as they are? Maybe Detroit does suck. Maybe Michigan sucks. Maybe the USA sucks. Maybe the World sucks. If any of these are the case, why state otherwise?

Maybe the World sucks
    Damned gravity

MIRepublic Guest

The rest of the country is a bit much, but a lot of the country is catching up to us, in a sense, no matter how badly you want to believe that our problems exist in some kind of vaccuum apart from the problems in the rest of the country. I know, carl, that you can't help yourself, but please do try. lol Here's some reading, wishful thinker:

13 cities post unemployment above 15%

Jobless rates rise in all US metro areas in April

Metro Detroit is still obviously tops in unemployment among metro's over a million, but places like Portland have seen astounding rises in unemployment rising from 4.7% in April 2008 to 11.6%, today, just behind Metro Detroit's 13.6%. I know you'd love to believe Detroit and Michigan are all in this alone, but, alas, the facts don't bare that out. How sad and unfortunate, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    The rest of the country is a bit much, but a lot of the country is catching up to us, in a sense, no matter how badly you want to believe that our problems exist in some kind of vaccuum apart from the problems in the rest of the country. I know, carl, that you can't help yourself, but please do try. lol Here's some reading, wishful thinker:

13 cities post unemployment above 15%

Jobless rates rise in all US metro areas in April

Metro Detroit is still obviously tops in unemployment among metro's over a million, but places like Portland have seen astounding rises in unemployment rising from 4.7% in April 2008 to 11.6%, today, just behind Metro Detroit's 13.6%. I know you'd love to believe Detroit and Michigan are all in this alone, but, alas, the facts don't bare that out. How sad and unfortunate, huh?
    Yeah, Oregon's unemployment rate skyrocketing like that was pretty stunning. I've noticed an uptick lately in hearing about new rounds of layoffs, so I wouldn't be surprised if this months numbers are worse than last.

Tons? 4,000 pounds of people? That isn't very much in this country.

Anyway, says who?

Go try to renounce your U.S. citizenship, I dare you....
    You don't have to renounce your citizenship to emigrate to another country.

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Yeah, Oregon's unemployment rate skyrocketing like that was pretty stunning. I've noticed an uptick lately in hearing about new rounds of layoffs, so I wouldn't be surprised if this months numbers are worse than last.
    And, just to add, apparently, of the major metropolitan areas in the country, only Austin, Texas was able to actually add jobs, last year.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    And, just to add, apparently, of the major metropolitan areas in the country, only Austin, Texas was able to actually add jobs, last year.
    And the place is getting more congested by the day I hate to say. It's sprawling & a lot of overdevelopment is occurring. We have the jobs for the moment but areas like high-tech manufacturing are starting to feel the squeeze. The city is facing a budget shortfall as well.

Quote: "the rest of the country is not "catching up to us." while other areas of the country are seeing the slide begin to taper...the bad news keeps rolling for michigan. for every auto job lost, there are at least six associated jobs that will disappear...from auto suppliers to hair dressers to bartenders. and think about the people and firms in michigan"

You're obviously unaware that the big 3 have a Global supplier network. Just about every town in this country and many in other cities around the world hosts businesses that vend to the big 3 or to another company that does. Many in the US are hanging in limbo right now, no or little work, the bank eyeballing them hard to cut their line. If this isn't resolved and quick and some PO's released, it is going to be a major collapse. To think this is just a Detroit problem is a classic example of Naivety.

Quote: "other states are poised for recovery,"

Oh Yeah? With what? We don't make anything but cars here anymore. And that is almost gone. One has to hunt hard to find US made goods. These companies dumping Chinese goods on our dying markets are not sustainable businesses.

I've had enough happy talk BS from politicians. I don't have a problem with the OC deputy telling it like it is. It's not like the world thought Detroit was doing great. Most outsiders seem to think it's a cross between Dresden, Beirut and Baghdad.

When I read this thread's title an old saying crossed my mind.

"Dog bites man is not news. Man bites dog, now that's news!"

Ergo:

"Unhelpful comment by Oakland deputy exec" [yawn]

"Helpful comment by Oakland deputy exec" [Now that's news!]

Sick as ever at LBP -- the codespeaking destroyer of metro unity.
    Last edited by Lowell; June-05-09 at 06:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast