Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Challenge Detroit - Project Review by Nolan Finley

http://www.detnews.com/article/20111...a-city-in-need

I wasn't aware of this program until reading Nolan's column. Can anyone shed additional light?

Kind of funny to hear Finley bemoaning young people leaving the state, when he's made it his business to be the standard bearer of the anti-tax, social austerity, cut spending, get-a-car-or-ride-the-loser-cruiser mentality that young people are sick of, and results in policy that produces the least vibrant urban environments in the country.

Smooth move, Ex-Lax.

As it turns out, for today's kids, what makes a city "cool" isn't necessarily trains, lofts, coffee shops and ethnic restaurants. Or at least not just those things.
    All conviently things this tool constantly bags on. Wonder which quadrant of his rectum he pulled that little bit of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Kind of funny to hear Finley bemoaning young people leaving the state, when he's made it his business to be the standard bearer of the anti-tax, social austerity, cut spending, get-a-car-or-ride-the-loser-cruiser mentality that young people are sick of, and results in policy that produces the least vibrant urban environments in the country.

Smooth move, Ex-Lax.
    Yeah, if you remember back about a year, I wrote a scathing post about Finley here on DetroitYes. However, in this instance, I want to give him credit where credit is due. His current piece is deserving.

I feel all warm and gushy when a person, like Finley, recognizes a problem and then takes the extra [[and rare) step of proposing solutions, or at least highlights something we can leverage. This is in stark contrast to the typical divisive bemoaning and finger-pointing that has become so common and terribly problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Yeah, if you remember back about a year, I wrote a scathing post about Finley here on DetroitYes. However, in this instance, I want to give him credit where credit is due. His current piece is deserving.

I feel all warm and gushy when a person, like Finley, recognizes a problem and then takes the extra [[and rare) step of proposing solutions, or at least highlights something we can leverage. This is in stark contrast to the typical divisive bemoaning and finger-pointing that has become so common and terribly problematic.
    It is charitable of you, refreshingly charitable, to express such sentiments. The only thing I'd add, though, is that, whatever Finley's tone in this piece, it's all rhetorical hot air once he gets firmly back into his taxes-are-slavery honey badger mode, and that's his wheelhouse ...

"Challenge Detroit isn't trying to sell them on what Detroit can do for them, but rather on what they can do for Detroit."

Its funny to hear Nolan channeling the ghost of JFK.