Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Who the hell wants to lift the mandatory helmet rule?

Absolutely unbelievable!

And you can get rid of the helmet with two years experience and a $20.000 health insurance!! As if you would survive an impact!

Where's my facepalm?!! I NEED MY FACEPALM!!

Thank you cat.

What do you care?

Every state that surrounds us is bugteeth freedom-lovin' all-American.

It truly keeps many motorcycle tourists from spending a dime in the state.

On the positive side it will probably increase the number of organ donations.

If you choose not to wear a helmet, that's up to you. But if you wipe out, and aren't wearing one, no one should stop to help. They should just nudge you off to the shoulder.

And you should not later expect lifetime catastrophic care for your brain injured self paid for by the citizens of Michigan.
    Last edited by SWMAP; November-01-11 at 04:36 PM.

Here's an idea. Have an insurance pool that all motorcycle riders are required to contribute to that covers the medical costs for motorcycle riders who have accidents. Keep it separate from those for drivers. When the medical costs go up, all motorcycle riders are assessed the increased cost.

What Novine said.

For the life of me, I can't understand why any insurance company would even write motorcycle insurance for someone not wearing a helmet, at least not without charging huge premiums.

Occurrence Guest

The mandatory helmet rule needs to be lifted, along with the mandatory seat-belt rule [[except for children).

Wearing a seat-belt and a helmet is just common sense, and most people already do so. The laws don't need to be made. If you truly think the Government should step in and tell people what to do, than I don't know what to say.

If your going to complain about how injuries from those who don't practice common sense make the rest of us pay more, then fight to change THOSE laws. We don't need the Government telling us how to live, at least I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Here's an idea. Have an insurance pool that all motorcycle riders are required to contribute to that covers the medical costs for motorcycle riders who have accidents. Keep it separate from those for drivers. When the medical costs go up, all motorcycle riders are assessed the increased cost.
    No. That is a bad idea - it only punishes the ones that wear helmets. Why should I "subsidize" those that don't.

When I ride it is ATGATT = All The Gear, All The Time. Helmet [[full face), armored jacket, armored pants, gloves and sturdy boots.

So I play by the rules and I have to pay into a fund for the clueless too? NO.

Find another way for the helmetless riders to pay for themselves and not bother me or you.

There are so many bad/drunk drivers out there I'm thinking of wearing a helmet while driving my car.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    There are so many bad/drunk drivers out there I'm thinking of wearing a helmet while driving my car.
    The way things seem to be going, that will probably be mandatory in 10 years too.

Driving eastbound on W. Eight Mile, between Evergreen and Southfield. 2 p.m. in the afternoon, traffic light. Woman pulls out on to Eight Mile at Greenview, and then cuts completely across the roadway to enter the U turn center median. I have nowhere to go on my Harley. Hit the brakes and the rear tire hits some gravel and down I go. Skidded a good twenty feet on my head. However, except for road rash carving up my holster and britches, not a scratch. God bless Buco helmets. [[I rolled off behind the car, but the Harley didn't fare as well, T-boning the car by itself.).

The original question posed was about who wants the law lifted. I've met people all of my life who wanted that law struck down, especially bikers, republicans, and men in general. Does that give anybody an idea what this is really about?

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    The mandatory helmet rule needs to be lifted, along with the mandatory seat-belt rule [[except for children).
    Yup, I can see it for minor or disabled passengers, but I never understood mandating it for adult, able-bodied drivers. Just another way to raise revenue through fines.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Yup, I can see it for minor or disabled passengers, but I never understood mandating it for adult, able-bodied drivers. Just another way to raise revenue through fines.
    Let's put it this way. If these people unnecessarily cost me money because their preventable catastrophic injuries are raising my premiums then I think it should be illegal.

Personally, as long as those that forgo helmets and seatbelts are willing to pay higher premiums so I don't have to, then I'm all for removing the laws. In my opinion it is simply Darwinism at work. Thinning the herd of some of these morons who are willing to risk having their brains splattered all over the pavement so they can feel the wind in their hair is merely survival of the fittest.

If you lift the helmet law, a lot of riders are going to stop wearing them. They ended the mandatory helmet law in Flordia, when I'm down there, I hardly ever see anyone riding and wearing a helmet.

Go ahead and ride without a helment.....I don't care.....but no road side memorial for you.....oh yea and maybe we can make the world population drop below 7 Billion again. One more thing.....as for Sympathy.....its in the dictionary between syphilis and s_it. Go for it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    Personally, as long as those that forgo helmets and seatbelts are willing to pay higher premiums so I don't have to, then I'm all for removing the laws. In my opinion it is simply Darwinism at work. Thinning the herd of some of these morons who are willing to risk having their brains splattered all over the pavement so they can feel the wind in their hair is merely survival of the fittest.
    Hmmmm I wonder if there's a proportional relationship to closed head injuries and hearing a low level hum.....

Wearing a seat-belt and a helmet is just common sense, and most people already do so. The laws don't need to be made. If you truly think the Government should step in and tell people what to do, than I don't know what to say.

If your going to complain about how injuries from those who don't practice common sense make the rest of us pay more, then fight to change THOSE laws. We don't need the Government telling us how to live, at least I don't.
    I agree with you.

I have always worn my seatbelt, not because of the law, but because it's much safer!

its kind of ironic that every session of the legislature gets this law in front of them and the law against MCCA. All the time these are both introduced by libretarians. Now I believe in freedom as much as the next guy, but I also believe that anyone who rides without a helmet is crazy. Now I would get a ticket if I would not wear a seatbelt in a car, but a motorcyclist can ride without a helmet? It seems to me that with the laxing of this law that the MCCA would be needed more not less.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    Let's put it this way. If these people unnecessarily cost me money because their preventable catastrophic injuries are raising my premiums then I think it should be illegal.

You're right. And since a huge part of my/your health costs are due to people who develop heart disease from overeating, we should also enact laws that ensure people will only eat healthy food. Or at least, we can penalize those who simply refuse to stay in shape by charging them higher insurance rates.

Same thing for all those idiots who enjoy dangerous hobbies like rock climbing, kayaking, etc., which result in thousands of injuries each year. Had those morons stayed home and watched "American Idol," they'd have never been injured -- and, thus, our health care would probably be cheaper. So let's make those activities illegal as well; or, again, let's at least penalize those who engage in such risky behavior.

Or, do you only like government intervention SOME of the time? You say it's perfectly okay for the government to prevent someone from riding a motorcycle without a helmet; where do you stand on whether the government should prevent someone from, say, getting an abortion?

im not sure why any motorcylist would support this.
    I expect motorcycle insurance will go up big regardless
    if you wear one or not because of it. Why make it
    easy for them

but on topic. Occupy Detroit has been lucky so far.
    Good camping weather. Not sure downtown is the place
    i would want to pitch tent. Detroit makes me chuckle.
    You would probably have a bigger occupy Ann Arbor.
    You would think of all places this would be a hot spot
    for not only protest but angry protest.
    Oh well... while they are here the homeless have a new
    plaything and place to sample tofu dishes. Police cars
    are probalby there just to protect them.

Speaking of not wearing helmet in Florida, I agree, I see more without than with. Makes me wonder why on earth you would risk getting hit in the face by a flying palmetto bug.

What makes you think people would voluntarily wear seatbelts or helmets? When they added the seatbelt law back in the 80's, most people were having fits about it. No one wanted to wear them; they were too confining, if you were in an accident and the car caught fire you'd be unable to get out, they'd cause chest injuries, and on and on. It was only the fact that if you didn't wear them, you'd be ticketed that caused most people to wear them. And even after they put buzzers in the cars that indicated that you didn't have your seatbelt on, people would hook them up behind themselves and sit on them. Yeah, there's a lot of common sense involved here

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    What makes you think people would voluntarily wear seatbelts or helmets? When they added the seatbelt law back in the 80's, most people were having fits about it. No one wanted to wear them; they were too confining, if you were in an accident and the car caught fire you'd be unable to get out, they'd cause chest injuries, and on and on. It was only the fact that if you didn't wear them, you'd be ticketed that caused most people to wear them. And even after they put buzzers in the cars that indicated that you didn't have your seatbelt on, people would hook them up behind themselves and sit on them. Yeah, there's a lot of common sense involved here
    Well, if someone doesn't want to wear a seat belt than they shouldn't have to wear them. They can take the risk. I'm going to wear one regardless if it's a law. I don't need nanny Government telling me I have to do so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast