Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wayne States purchase of Freedom Place Apt and current rennovation to the facilities.

So Wayne State University purchased Freedom Place last year, currently it's going through major renovations both interior and exterior. My guess it that it'll be new housing for students but is currently leased to tenants with section 8 vouchers. Upon completion of the renovation will the current residents get the boot...????

I remember hearing that Wayne State wanted to raise its resident campus population to over 10000. This is technically off campus but maybe part of the plan. My guess is that the will grandfather the Section 8 residents, but who knows.

Street View

Those section 8 low-income folks living at the Freedom Place Apts. and co-op homes probably will get the boot not by next year by 10 to 30 years. By then they would raise the rent to $700 to $1300 dollars a month campared to University Towers. I great way for them to gentrify midtown. Kick out the poor and bring the rich roudy college students.

Strange, I just assumed that that building was chuck-full of med students and was already affiliated with WSU and/or the DMC.

They should keep some Section 8 housing in there. If they're going to blow up the student population, WSU should at least keep it proportional.

If you are buying or rehabilitating a apartment building and keep a certain percentage "low income" [[20%?) for x amount of years [[5?) it opens the door for grants from the city and feds.

Replacing these with student housing would be great. I dont see the problem with gentrification and I hope it continues in midtown and downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    Replacing these with student housing would be great. I dont see the problem with gentrification and I hope it continues in midtown and downtown.
    Wow. Kick out the poor old folks. Don't bother sending santa your wish list this year...

Several of the people who live at Freedom House are active politically and in the community. We have our city-wide CDC meetings there and residents who involve themselves are very polite and accomodating.

I'll never understand why some people find no value in the oldest or poorest among us. They usually have the most important stories to tell.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; November-02-11 at 08:55 PM.

WSU has no ownership interest in Freedom Place. They were sold earlier this year to another management company.

So the rumor is over, yet!