Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Saving Detroit - TheCall Detroit 11.11.11 Ford Field

Are you going? Are we truly hopeless? I wonder what the economic impact will be? Thoughts?

Name:  1000160835.jpg
Views: 2445
Size:  46.9 KB

TheCall Detroit 11.11.11

On November 11–12, 2011, thousands from across America will gather to Ford Field [[Home of the Detroit Lions) to fast, pray and cry out to God. We will gather to this city that has become a microcosm of our national crisis—economic collapse, racial tension, the rising tide of the Islamic movement, and the shedding of innocent blood of our children in the streets and of our unborn.

But the place where they say there is no hope, God has chosen as His staging ground for a great communal healing and His house of prayer for all nations. Therefore, we are calling the nation to a 24-hour solemn assembly, daring to believe that Detroit’s desperation can produce a prayer that can change a nation.

Come and take your place on the wall in Detroit, where we will ask God to send fire on our hearts, to forgive our national guilt and establish justice in our land.
    Link

P
    sst:
    When booking your reservation at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, mention TheCall [[General Reservation Block) for special rates between November 10th and 12th.

What is this exactly? I watched the video and it was more or less a religious rant.

I wonder how much anti-Muslim hate speech will happen there...

I'm always weary of overly passionate religious folk that gather people in masses. I mean, unless he's doing it to get loads money you can't really say anything against him. But hey, if it saves Detroit, I'm all for it.

..I recognize local megachurch bishops Wayne T. Jackson and Andrew Merritt.. Eh, no thanks..

So, is this the new version of Promise Keepers, but this one allows women? Is this Engle fellow an ex-football coach?

I'll just have to avoid downtown, period, that day; the way my luck works some acolyte is bound to want to arbitrarily engage with me about how this "movement" is changing lives and seek to be my 'prayer mentor'.. Lord, deliver me from your followers..

We will gather to this city that has become a microcosm of our national crisis—economic collapse, racial tension, the rising tide of the Islamic movement, and the shedding of innocent blood of our children in the streets and of our unborn.
    I don't think Islam or abortion has anything to do with Detroit's or the nation's crisis.

If the picture above is real, I would be very worried if I lived in Windsor.

the rising tide of the Islamic movement
    Is that^ why they didn't hold their event in Dearborn?

Islamic movement? Hasn't Islam been around for almost as long as Christianity? Didn't Islam build great societies in Spain, Africa, and the Middle East a thousand years ago? Wasn't our country and its fundemenalist belief system founded on freedom to practice religion as you so choose?

Are these folks bigger fear mongers than the guys who bombed us 10 years ago? What about non muslim terrorists?

There are enough people trying to divide and point fingers. Let those without sin cast the first stones.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; November-02-11 at 08:50 AM.

Yeah, seriously...I, for one, am concerned about the rising tide of the Evangelical christian movement....But I guess this is another event which will shroud prejudice and racism in a flag while carrying the cross.. Heaven forbid any gay people stumble in...
    Last edited by j to the jeremy; November-02-11 at 10:24 AM.

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. Holy Shit!

Hey, if there's any proof that Capitalism doesn't work, I guess that's it! haha

Watch channel 38 on Sunday morning. Holy moly. A few months ago there was a half-hour long infomercial for some sort of prayer oil. You call in your prayer and give a $20 love donation or something, and they give you a special vial of oil that - lubricates the phone line to God or something? It was *insane* The guy was speaking in tongues, making incredible claims, spouting off all kinds of non sequiturs and bragging about bogus credentials. It was like watching a half hour, well produced documentary of a man having a nervous breakdown.

Now there are some preachers on TV with a suit and a tie and a vest

They want you to send your money to the lord but they give you their address
    The American Dream
    Hank Williams, Jr.

But the place where they say there is no hope,

Who said that ? send me $10 and I will fill you with hope please add 3% when using Visa\MC you how those banks are.

There are already thousands of churches in Detroit. I counted a few dozen [[now abandoned) storefront churches on Conner between I-94 and Mt. Oliver cemetery once. I see all those bumper-stickers that say " I lift Detroit in prayer." I think God is not praised by all of it. I am of the heritage that says faith without works is dead. Detroiters need to clean up and need to raise their children and give them better homes and higher aspirations. Prayers without works [[ living and acting with personal and civic standards) is worthless. And don't tell me that all the prayer people do have standards. Those are the people that keep excusing that scammer Kilpatrick because they love to hear how he prays.
    Last edited by SWMAP; November-02-11 at 07:30 PM.

The more I read about this lou engle character, the more i'm convinced that we are going to host a hate-fest in Ford Field. He's involved with Joels's Army and that x-tian boot camp, etc.

I just received the following e-mail:

Tomorrow, Nov. 9 at noon, Detroit area faith leaders will hold a press conference at the site of Occupy Detroit to express concern about the upcoming Radical Religious Right rally, "The Call: Detroit" and to announce a counter event, Crusade Against Hate, on Friday.

"The Call: Detroit," taking place at Ford Field, is being hosted by right-wing activists who frequently demonize American Muslims and promote "dominionist" theology, which advocates a takeover of government, media and business by conservative Christians. In fact, the stated purpose of "The Call" is to convert Muslims in the Detroit and Dearborn areas to Christianity to prevent what Transformation Michigan calls "the advance of the enemy."

Our allies will announce at tomorrow's press conference an alternative event for people of faith to pray for Detroit in an inclusive, non-political way. Please join Rev. Charles Williams II of PFAW's African American Ministers In Action [[AAMIA) and other area faith leaders for both tomorrow's press event AND the counter rally on Friday at 6:00pm, at the same location.

Who: Detroit Faith Leaders, including:
    • Imam Dawud Walid, Executive Director, CAIR Michigan
    What: Press Conference & Crusade Against Hate Counter Rally in reaction to 'The Call: Detroit'

When: Wednesday, Nov. 9 at 12:00 noon and Friday, Nov. 11 at 6:00pm

Where: Occupy Detroit staging area, Grand Circus Park

If you have questions, please email Rev. Charles Williams II of Historic King Solomon Baptist Church at thehistoricksmbc@gmail.com.

For more information about 'The Call: Detroit,' please see the fact sheet from People For the American Way's Right Wing Watch: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/fact-sheet-call-detroit

Thanks. We hope to see you there!

-- Diallo Brooks, Director of Field Mobilization

Lou Engel was a supporter of the Ugandan 'kill the gays' bill I hope Detroiterers turnout enmass to protest these hateful people.

I'd rather honor our veterans on Friday.

Rev. Wayne makes no bones about being FOR-profit. I'd advise people attending "The Call" to hang onto their wallets.

http://michiganentertainmentnetwork....it-tv-network/

I'd be surprised if they didn't drag the veterans into their "Call".

When fascism comes to the U.S. it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross. [Sinclair Lewis]

I anticipate that no one will show up for this event, since 11.11.11 is National Corduroy Day.

http://corduroyclub.com/

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I anticipate that no one will show up for this event, since 11.11.11 is National Corduroy Day.

http://corduroyclub.com/
    If lots of people do show up for this event on National Corduroy Day, the sound of them walking into Ford Field will be heard for miles around.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    I'm always weary of overly passionate religious folk that gather people in masses. I mean, unless he's doing it to get loads money you can't really say anything against him. But hey, if it saves Detroit, I'm all for it.
    These aren't " religious folk", these are folks that make lots of money off the ignorant and the fearful. Trailer Park Taliban.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. Holy Shit!
    Damn you, you made me choke on my wine when I read this

Isn't there something in the Bible - I'm no expert but I think it's there - about false prophets? A smattering of what I think may be relevant verses here:

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world." - 1 John 4:1

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves." - Matthew 7:15, then 7:16: "You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?"

Finally, some more of Matthew 7 for all my Christian brothers and sisters who insist on hating Muslims, or gay people, or immigrants, or anythone else, my favorite Bible quote of all time, which I do not see posted in very many of these Christian churches:

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

I bet you all a thousand dollars that at no time during "The Call" is that verse read aloud to the gathered throngs.

Professor Scott [[A Peace-and-Justice Roman Catholic, by the way, and quoting from the English Standard Version, not my favorite, but the one that was handy at the moment.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast