Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Looking for security cameras/installers

Thanks to an issue with a nearby neighbor, my wife and I have decided to invest in some security cameras and a DVR for recording the footage they capture.

Unfortunately, we've experienced some sticker shock with the cost of camera systems and, esepecially, installation. Based on the research we've done [[and a visit to Spy King in Southfield), it looks like a decent 4 camera system is going to cost at least $500, and most installers charge around $150 per camera. Not cheap!

Does anyone have any companies/installers that they can recommend to us? Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks. EastsideChris

Chris, I've been around these systems peripherally for years. The cheaper the camera, the worse the optics and resolution of the sensor chip. You go significantly cheap, you'll capture nothing but worthless blurs.

If you have a wired network in the house, there are network cameras that you can plug in yourself...I can help you with the engineering, placement of the cameras is key.

Do you think you need four of 'em?

I'm sitting on a system a client bought, but mistakenly with Euro voltage transformers. It is a networked system, with one camera that is actually a pan/tilt! I've not played with it yet...it is just another of my collection of junk on a shelf downstairs.

I can look at it more closely, and perhaps you can borrow it for a while. I saved it from the garbage can just for purposes like this...where they could be temporarily setup to solve a problem. Hit me up and let's talk.

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; November-01-11 at 12:52 PM.

Plus, there is a nice fellow who owns a security camera firm on Ford Road...in Garden City, I think. Young guy who went to Fordson High...very knowledgeable and from what I could tell, ethical.

I cannot remember his company name...whoops, got it in my old Palm Pilot here...Ali Hamade at CSI, Computer Surveillance Incorporated...[[734) 261-0162. Haven't talked with him in years, though.

Let me know if you contact him!

Good luck...

I had an Infra red camera from Harbor Freight for several years. And it works very well. Approximately $30 per camera and lines. [[Color Extra). The expense is with a time line DVR/DVD recorder with date stamp.
    I would like to hear more from Gannon, on a fairly cheap way of doing this.

And shame on the banks and party stores that go cheap on security videos, when they have the MOST problems. Almost useless when reported on the local news. That guy with the nine year old daughter went national. And they spent just a few more dollars on equipment for high quality video and sound.
    Last edited by Bigb23; November-02-11 at 07:30 PM.

I'm sorry, but $500 sounds dirt cheap for a decent security system+installation.

As gannon mentioned, you could string some cameras up that connect through an ethernet cord, but have a separate power plug. For an exterior installation, you'd probably want these concealed.....driving up the cost. But you'd be able to view your cameras wherever there's a computer or phone with an internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I had an Infra red camera from Harbor Freight for several years. And it works very well. Approximately $30 per camera and lines. [[Color Extra). The expense is with a time line DVR/DVD recorder with date stamp.

I would like to hear more from Gannon, on a fairly cheap way of doing this.

And shame on the banks and party stores that go cheap on security videos, when they have the MOST problems. Almost useless when reported on the local news. That guy with the nine year old daughter went national. And they spent just a few more dollars on equipment for high quality video and sound.

I've been working for some time to assemble systems which solve problems, like this camera system and also a small, but perfect PA/video system for small presentations and musical shows. Until right now, I didn't realize they are part of the same thing...when not doing surveillance-for-rent...the cameras, if H-enough-D, could be used to capture concerts properly.

Cheers!

Thanks for the helpful responses.

Just to clarify, we can get a good 4 camera system for $500-600, but then the installation is an additional $150 or so per camera [[so add another $600)...about $1200 total.

Quote Originally Posted by eastsidechris View Post
    Thanks for the helpful responses.

Just to clarify, we can get a good 4 camera system for $500-600, but then the installation is an additional $150 or so per camera [[so add another $600)...about $1200 total.
    Oh ok, never mind my post then. Yeah, $1200 is expensive.