Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Restaurants: Longtime Neighborhood Gems

The Red Devil thread inspired this one.

I love to walk into a restaurant or bar in Detroit and immediately feel like I'm walking into a piece of history. Someplace that has been here a long time, long before I was born, someplace that is a neighborhood institution.

Lets start listing all neighborhood restaurants that have been open for decades and are still going strong.[[or at least going!)

I'll start with:

Buddy's at 6 Mile/ Conant

Baker's Keyboard Lounge at 8 Mile/ Livernois

Roma Café in Eastern Market
    Last edited by Lowell; June-08-09 at 06:39 PM.

Blue Pointe Seafood - Warren & Cadieux.

Janet's Lunch--Kerchavel @ Maryland, GPP

The Cadieux Cafe, on Cadieux [[duh!) between Mack and E. Warren.

The Ivanhoe Cafe, also known as the Polish Yacht Club, on Joseph Campau just north of E. Warren.

Mario's, on Second near Mack. Still good after all these years...

Sabre Lancer at E. Warren & Outer Dr. Miss Pete, Diane, Louise, Don the piano player.

Servite:
    Isn't Sabre Lancer long gone?

Do Traffic Jam and Union Street qualify, even though they are relatively youngsters? [[The Jam in 1965 and Union Street in the 60's/70's after being Arturos for a long, long time).

La Dolce Vita and The Dakota Inn, along with Mi Pueblo

Bobl, you mean it's not there anymore? I just passed by it on my way to the Alger the other night.

Bobo- what about Medditreannen Lounge?

Servite:
    I'm on my way to the Red Carpet. Will check on this.

stinkbug Guest

Scotty Simpson's.
    Fenkell and Dolphin.
    Brightmoor.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    La Dolce Vita and The Dakota Inn, along with Mi Pueblo

When did La Dolce open? I've been wondering for some time..

Dakota Inn, great choice, as its been there for 60+year, formally a dry cleaners?

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Scotty Simpson's.
    Fenkell and Dolphin.
    Brightmoor.
    Is this the famous place in Brightmoor for fish and chips? I am an east sider, and rarely ventured to the west side, but worked there[[on the west side) from 2003-05.

I had fish & chips from a mom and pop joint,on Fenkell, on the west side, during said time, from someplace famous, and I think this was this place, when I worked at 6 Mile and Evergreen, on a Friday during Lent.

I think it may have been Scotty's, located in a simple storefront, on a desolate stretch of Fenkell, and the fish & chips were AWESOME!!
    Last edited by Detroitej72; June-04-09 at 12:45 AM.

Vince's on Springwells.

Detroitej72, yep, that's the place. It opened there in 1950 and is on it's 3rd owner. The second and third [[current) owners both started working there when they were teens and just stayed on and finally bought the place.

Gracie See Pizza, and not far from the border DeLucas, Warren&Inkster

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Detroitej72, yep, that's the place. It opened there in 1950 and is on it's 3rd owner. The second and third [[current) owners both started working there when they were teens and just stayed on and finally bought the place.
    I need to get down there this weekend to enjoy another fish & chips meal, and keep a neighborhood gem in business!

Glad that Scotty Simpsons was brought up.I have been wanting a good fish dinner

Lou's Deli-McNichols and Roselawn.

Nemo's-Corktown

Greg's Pizza-Livernois and McNichols

One of my favorites...

Laffrey's Steaks on the Hearth.

A true gem of a place.

We cant forget lafayette Coney!

Scotty Simpsons for sure.....it was a real treat when we were kids, to get Friday fish carry out for dinner. Back then people didn't eat out that often, and my family couldn't really afford to, so it was a big deal to get it! I went to school with the present owner. He stared there as a bus boy back when we were in high school......long ago! My stomach is growling...I need fish!

The Ivanhoe [[aka the Polish Yacht Club) east of Chene in the old neighborhood. My grandfather worked for Mayor Johnnie Smith during the Depression. The Ivanhoe was Smith's alter-office. Seems unchanged from those days and still has a wonderful perch dinner.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast