Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Best hockey bars

Being a lover of the dankest of dive bars I was thrilled to discover the Post for before and after drinks near Joe Louis. I also like neighbourhood pubs and Marge's is great for away games, but the crowd was a little weird last time I went and it's pretty far out there. Any suggestions for good hockey bars in Detroit? Please don't say Hockeytown.

Anchor Bar?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Anchor Bar?
    Second this. Anchor is the best bar for hockey.

Thank you. I'll give them another shot.

Marges bar on Mack Ave. in GP is "the" hockey bar. They have all the old sideboards from Olympia and players benchs from JLA along with tons of other mementos and some players who hang out there

St Andrews on the river is were I liked to go before and after the games. However you need to take the bus. One time after a game Al the Zamboni driver had the Stanley Cup and brought it in, that was cool.
    If your near the Joe, then it would have to be the Anchor though I also enjoy the Post.

Andrews is a good bet as well. It's on Joe Campau below Jefferson [[as mentioned above - though I don't think it has a ST. in the name).

Good shuttle route to the game after parking your car for free over there. And they run 3 buses before and after the game. You can bring your "pop" on the bus too.

Good times - used that shuttle many, many times. Can't believe I forgot it.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Andrews is a good bet as well. It's on Joe Campau below Jefferson [[as mentioned above - though I don't think it has a ST. in the name).

Your correct, its Andrews or officially Andrews on the corner not to be mistaken for St Andrews.
    Funny how I stumbled upon the on the place [[literally).
    Quite a few years ago I was going to some games from the bars near Greektown and taking their bus to the game. One game I had a few to many and going back got on the Andrews bus thinking they all go to Greektown. Next thing I know Im over by Chene Park and very confused. The good news was I found a cool spot for future games but the bad news was I had to walk back to Greektown.

Cobo Joe's is where I go before games. The place is packed with half the crowd wearing Wings jerseys. Classic hockey fights are on the TV's, and the burgers are great, and all a five-minute walk from the Joe.

There are 2 different types of hockey bars. The ones you go to before or after attending a Wings game and the ones that you go to watch a Wings or other game. The ones mentioned that are in the vincinity of the Joe are all good. As for watching a game, Marge's is great. I'll mention another. The Broadcast Booth in downtown Allen Park has lots of TVs and they have the NHL Center Ice package. Seats from the Olympia and Montreal Forum and other hockey memorbilia make for a nice decor. Always beer and food specials for hockey and the food is several steps up from pub grub.

Lefty's on Cass is a good sports bar in Midtown.

This topic leaves me scratching my head as to what makes a good hockey bar. Is it the biggest TV screens available? Is it the availability of good food? Is it the service? Is it the amount of Wings jerseys & hockey sticks hung off the bar?

Or is it more of the people there?

Because to me, if I go to ANY bar where there's even a glimmer of a good Wings game on the tube and I'm surrounded by good knowledgeable enthusiastic friends- it's going to be a good hockey bar. I'm not exactly one to rant and rave to total strangers about the game but do like surrounding myself with good fun folks- and my circle of friends have frequented places like Mr. B's, Z's Villa, Bookies and the occasional coney island with a flickering set.

It's all about the company that one keeps.

When I think of a good hockey bar it is one were hockey fans, going to the game, hang out before and after the game.
    I guess if I was going to go out and watch a game at a bar then I would hope its a place were the game in emphasized and other hockey fans are around watching.
    But your right any bar is going to show the Wings games.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    This topic leaves me scratching my head as to what makes a good hockey bar. Is it the biggest TV screens available? Is it the availability of good food? Is it the service? Is it the amount of Wings jerseys & hockey sticks hung off the bar?

Or is it more of the people there?

Because to me, if I go to ANY bar where there's even a glimmer of a good Wings game on the tube and I'm surrounded by good knowledgeable enthusiastic friends- it's going to be a good hockey bar. I'm not exactly one to rant and rave to total strangers about the game but do like surrounding myself with good fun folks- and my circle of friends have frequented places like Mr. B's, Z's Villa, Bookies and the occasional coney island with a flickering set.

It's all about the company that one keeps.
    Good thought.

When I consider a "Good" hockey bar, I immediately think of high-definition TV's scattered around the bar for viewing ease. High-def hockey is pretty solid. I also like to have the volume of the game up throughout the bar so I can focus on the play by play. We have pretty good announcing with Ken Daniels, Mickey and Murph. It's worth it to me to hear their insights. I could go without Jon Keating however, although he's more or less adopted by now.

But another thing for a good hockey bar would have to be lots of fans and team pride. Throw in some good swill on tap, "red wings shots" when they score and some good eats and ya got me. Maybe a long [[big) bar would be nice too. I like sitting at the bar for some reason. Quick service is a plus.

After that it's all the regular stuff like clean premises/bathrooms, modestly priced, good parking....... all that small business mumbo jumbo.

Anchor Bar