Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Vintage, old, antique postcards of Detroit. How do I liquidate my collection?

I have a binder with approx 150 old postcards that I would like to sell. All are Detroit themed, some have been used and most are from the 40's or 50's with some 30's thrown in there! There are postcards of the Tunnel to Canada, Tuller Hotel, Statler, Belle Isle, Palmer Park, Michigan Central, DIA, Detroit Opera House, The Ponchartrain, Masonic Temple, Bagley Fountain, Wolverine Hotel, Union Trust Building, Fisher Building, GM Building, Dime Building, Waterworks Park, Hotel Fort Shelby and a zillion more. Well, maybe only a "half zillion" more! I bought these over the last 20 years and paid anywhere from a buck to $10 a piece. I'm not thrilled with the idea of onesy, twosy on Ebay and whole collections don't seem to be selling either. Anyone have any ideas on where or how I can sell these? They may just end up on this site under "Free Ads"!!

Try cardcow.com

Thanks Jackie, I contacted the CardCow folks and he said they aren't worth very much. Gee, I enjoy them more than what was offered!! I guess I will peruse my collection, enjoy them and put it back in the attic for another day.

How about Ebay?

SCS, if any of your cards feature clubs, bars, or areas of the near east side - Paradise Valley - or the Gotham/Norwood hotels, I would be very interested in buying or scanning them. They have interest as Jazz memorabilia.
    My email is JamesJazz at comcast.net
    Thanks for your consideration.

I know that Kathleen collects such things...maybe send her a private message and find out if she would like them.

If you enjoy them, keep them. I bought an awesome selection of 1950's baseball cards from kid for a couple of bucks. For years I enjoyed thumbing through them but ended up selling them when offered a couple hundred when I was unemployed. I still miss them. I guess I could get them back - for about 50 grand.

Check this site out , maybe you could submit an image[[s) of the older ones first before you get rid of them .

http://www.usgwarchives.net/mi/wayne...s-detroit.html

I've been collecting postcards since I was in elementary school. And I love the vintage Detroit postcards. If I were you, I would keep them. Put them away for awhile, then bring them back out. Share them with family. In the long run, you'll enjoy them more and more through the years!

i agree with kathleen. 150 postcards really don't take up much room. i have a handful myself too that i like to read every once in a while.

I have an album full of old postcards, too. Some are from family as far back as the 20s, I think, and the rest I collected through the 70s before I ran out of room. I did sell a postcard ad for a concert at the Grande Ballroom for $$ but you really only make decent money for the one at a time sales. I am keeping mine just for the pleasure of looking through them from time to time.

Now would be a bad time to sell them. Why not do a temporary loan to your local Library for others to look at and enjoy. A lot of Seniors have been there/done that, and use the Library on a regular basis. I have scanned and posted cards from the Tashmoo steamer, and Polar bears here before. Worst case scenario - all Dyesr's donate cards as a collective to the Burton or Wayne State archives for just the pride of doing so.

The better $$ for postcards is prior to the dates you quoted. I've peddled earlier Detroit RPPC's on eBay for tidy sums, depending on the subject.

I still have a tidy stack, but with the economy, most eBay sales are languishing, including PC's.
    Trying to peddle a whole collection to a dealer, the most likely buyer, would call for a very hefty discount from already depressed values.

Would love for you to consider sharing your collection with us at the Detroit Society for Genealogical Research. Most of the postcards in the gallery are from my personal collection. Send a private message to me if you are still interested in possibly selling your collection as well.