Views: 1959
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  _GLA0038.jpg
Views: 1934
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  _GLA0039.jpg
Views: 1934
Size:  52.9 KB

nice shots Don, here is what it looked like in the '30s.

A lot of industrial polution going on there, coal gasification, stove casting left mercury laden slag, tires ... jeeze

I really hope that when this site is built out that it is integrated into the existing city street grid and not chunked off as a suburban-style development kept "secure" behind gates.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I really hope that when this site is built out that it is integrated into the existing city street grid and not chunked off as a suburban-style development kept "secure" behind gates.
    Could not agree more.

Whoa.... I respectfully disagree.... I don't want to see 10 of the 40 acres of the Uniroyal site taken up by public roadways... of which the city already has more than it can afford to maintain. Putting a straight street grid onto the Uniroyal site would be fine if they were planning on building individual residences. But that is not the plan. This is not individual parcels with separate developments... but a large parcel, that may be built similar to Lafayette Park, with buildings that would cross over any grid plan.

I see no reason to impose a street plan, where one has likely never been. Plus the diagonal approach to the MacArthur Bridge would play havoc on a grid plan layout... unless you'd like cul-de-sac's.

Aren't there plans to make the water frontage part of the river conservatory project walkway?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Whoa.... I respectfully disagree.... I don't want to see 10 of the 40 acres of the Uniroyal site taken up by public roadways... of which the city already has more than it can afford to maintain. Putting a straight street grid onto the Uniroyal site would be fine if they were planning on building individual residences. But that is not the plan. This is not individual parcels with separate developments... but a large parcel, that may be built similar to Lafayette Park, with buildings that would cross over any grid plan.

I see no reason to impose a street plan, where one has likely never been. Plus the diagonal approach to the MacArthur Bridge would play havoc on a grid plan layout... unless you'd like cul-de-sac's.
    I was agreeing, primarily, with not having it be a walled off condo project or corporate park. I am fairly open with how it blends into it's surroundings, just so long as it does. This parcel could be a gem.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I was agreeing, primarily, with not having it be a walled off condo project or corporate park. I am fairly open with how it blends into it's surroundings, just so long as it does. This parcel could be a gem.
    Gotcha.... you just don't want to see another Harbortown project

I do like the Stroh's River Place layout, even though it does have grid streets going thru... at least all the buildings go right up to the street. Does anyone know if the street along the river [[in front of the Talon HQ) is still an accessible roadway, or has it been closed to thru traffic. I used to love driving along that roadway... it was the closest to the Detroit River you could get along the riverfront [[except maybe behind Cobo).

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Suburban is cheaper than building urban. A company would have to be really desperate for the immediate area's money to build a new urban friendly structure from scratch..

[QUOTE=Gistok;281226]Gotcha.... you just don't want to see another Harbortown project[/ QUOTE]

Exactly. This space is important, too, because it's the last directly riverfront spot on the East side available to be developed. Whatever is built- homes, offices, whatever- will hopefully be visually attractive and flow with both Jefferson Ave and the Riverwalk. Beyond that, I really don't care what is built. Some useful purpose beats decades of contaminated eyesore. My Aunt used to live in an apartment nearby, and I remember vividly the mountain of rubble when the Uniroyal buildings were demo'd.

I had thought that the site was contaminated. Maybe an aquarium should also go on that site. It could be modeled after the one in Atlanta where fishes are swimming above the visitors in the glass ceiling.

Just a reminder that Jerome Bettis has plans for luxury condos and retail for that spot.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._condo_re.html

Whoah!

Special thanks to Don for sharing his hobby with us on this forum!

I hope they build mixed-use, mixed-height, and mix-style with mostly zero-setback structures that are pedestrian friendly. It is my belief that this will encourage street vitality and with it safety and neighborhood integrity. We have enough spread out development in the city that are under used and unsafe as it is; a rich and enhancing use of this land is the least we can ask of the developer.

No kiddin the more public green space the better. The more attractive the vistas you can make from Jefferson to the River the more development you can attract for N of Jefferson. Sort of kills two birds with one stone.

Where it gets rough is you need some development dollars in order to justify the clean-up, Its definitely a tricky project.

Or how about something that would employ a bunch of folks so they could buy houses in the rest of the city. How about a tire factory? Come on, who's with me?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    No kiddin the more public green space the better. The more attractive the vistas you can make from Jefferson to the River the more development you can attract for N of Jefferson. Sort of kills two birds with one stone.

Where it gets rough is you need some development dollars in order to justify the clean-up, Its definitely a tricky project.
    I'm going to disagree with you Planner. There's already an abundance of greenspace along the East Jefferson corridor, even if you don't include Belle Isle. The Riverwalk provides plenty of greenspace and recreation. We don't need more greenspace along East Jefferson, we need more development.

East Jefferson is not a riverfront street, rather, it is a major urban arterial that happens to traverse within a few blocks of the river for much of its length. River vistas on this street are unnecessary. Dense, market-rate development is what is needed as infill between East Jefferson and the river, including at the Uniroyal site.

How about we fill in the empty lots between Uniroyal site and Downtown that currently still exist? There are endless development plots there. Personally, I think there is a more interesting potential for the site.

Build a new university on the site. The side is large enough to accommodate such a massive project, and Detroit needs a second major urban university to compliment Wayne State. It could be an completely new institution, a spin-off of WCCC or a satellite campus of U-M or MSU.

The new university would also act as east-side anchor or focal point, and neighborhoods around it such as Rivertown, Lafayette/Elmwood Park or the Villages would develop. Rail could be built along the Jefferson Ave corridor, from downtown to Grosse Pointe, connecting the university to the wider metropolitan Detroit.

A new university for Detroit would also increase Detroit's status, and attract more young people to the city [[perhaps over Chicago or NYC). A university along the riverfront, across from one of the nation's finest public parks and adjacent to neighborhoods that have a high potential of turning around and becoming vibrant, walkable, liveable places would act as symbol of Detroit's revival.

Detroit would become more vibrant, worldly, diverse, dynamic and enriched in the process of founding a new urban university in the heart of the city.
    Last edited by casscorridor; October-31-11 at 12:22 PM.

Would outlet stores do good on that site?

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    How about we fill in the empty lots between Uniroyal site and Downtown that currently still exist? There are endless development plots there. Personally, I think there is a more interesting potential for the site.
    As far as I know, those sites are owned by developers with mixed-use/PUD projects in mind.

Build a new university on the site. The side is large enough to accommodate such a massive project, and Detroit needs a second major urban university to compliment Wayne State. It could be an completely new institution, a spin-off of WCCC or a satellite campus of U-M or MSU.
    there is no way a "major urban university" could be created. any satellite campus would be just that -- a satellite campus. It wouldn't get the standing of a UM-Dearborn. A WC3D offshoot would be pointless as well.

Is the original plan for the Bettis development still currently on the table, or has that been rescinded?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Is the original plan for the Bettis development still currently on the table, or has that been rescinded?
    I talked to Mike Moidel at Betters [[the Bus' partners in pittsburgh) over the summer, and they are still planning on going forward with that and the chene east project

Because cities are seeing the benefits of developments that are integrated with the neighborhood and small-scale, benefiting walkability and bikability as well as avoiding projects that are TOO BIG TO FAIL.

No matter how poorly Detroit is able to meet the needs of residents, that never stops it from pursuing the next big bonanza. How are those megamansions doing over by the Goat Yard? Hmmm? Get back to me on that, willya?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

The city can't take care of its existing parks. Therefore the city should not plan for more large open green space. Continue the riverwalk, connect with public easements, and develop the hell out of the rest of it.

I'm shocked you'd mention more greenspace. The last time I was in Detroit I saw numerous parks with overgrown weeds and deteriorating playground equipment.

As far as attracting development it's not just views. Indeed they make development more attractive, but the rest has to do with the neighborhood desirability....restaurants, retail, schools, built environment etc. If Jefferson can achieve a sense of place...which would be challenging, it may be successful in attracting more density northward.
    Last edited by wolverine; October-31-11 at 06:50 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast