Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Shoppes At Gateway

Anyone have an update on that project? Other then a lot of shifting of dirt, I haven't noticed any activity to speak of. I'd like to see some hammers swinging and foundations being poured.

Well, you better get out there yourself then, that's a better chance than this project moving forward on it's own. Hopefully something starts by 2013.

Stromberg2

This project happening is about as likely as finding Jimmy Hoffa.

The last update had Meijer looking over the contract with them prepared to sign it mid July of this year. It was reported as a done deal.

It seems there are these done deal updates every six months so there should be a new one coming up around Christmas time. It should be very exciting.

I'm really anxious to see some kind of activity at that site other then the moving around of dirt piles. A full service Meijer containing a full service food market would be great for that area.

I pass by there twice a day on the way to and from work. I haven't seen much construction activity, but the entry to the site makes a convenient spot for the Ferndale cops to set up their speed traps on the Detroit side of 8 Mile most mornings.

Metal Container structures could be used on that site to house the retail stores. It could be thrown up in no time and if one of the stores fail just take that part of the structure down

I want to see them bring back the plan from the late 80's and turn the area into a public campgrounds and state park.

Whose with me now???

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I want to see them bring back the plan from the late 80's and turn the area into a public campgrounds and state park.

Whose with me now???
    Why? There is a major park less than a mile away if the state was to invest in another park in the city, I'd see it in the west riverfront or a large exsisting park like Rouge.
    Last edited by MSUguy; April-26-12 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post

Whose with me now???
    I agree, to a certain extent. Although a campground, I think, would be a little shady. A large state park would be nice, but also Palmer Park is so close and neglected.

It is sort of depressing that
    "This project really represents the most significant retail development in the city of Detroit in over than 50 years," when every suburb has a strip mall containing the same exact stores.

Although it will be a good thing to keep people from traveling out of the city, I think it represents the wrong kind of thinking about what is a significant development. We need urban neighborhoods, urban parks, urban transit, and so on. Not a replica of the suburbs when there is already plenty of suburban crap to meet our demands.

The most significant retail development would be the revitalization of Lower Woodward into a thriving urban shopping district. Much less bringing back neighborhood scale retail districts that are basically non-existent in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I agree, to a certain extent. Although a campground, I think, would be a little shady. A large state park would be nice, but also Palmer Park is so close and neglected.

It is sort of depressing that
    "This project really represents the most significant retail development in the city of Detroit in over than 50 years," when every suburb has a strip mall containing the same exact stores.

Although it will be a good thing to keep people from traveling out of the city, I think it represents the wrong kind of thinking about what is a significant development. We need urban neighborhoods, urban parks, urban transit, and so on. Not a replica of the suburbs when there is already plenty of suburban crap to meet our demands.

The most significant retail development would be the revitalization of Lower Woodward into a thriving urban shopping district. Much less bringing back neighborhood scale retail districts that are basically non-existent in Detroit.
    "This project really represents the most significant retail development in the city of Detroit in over than 50 years,"

I don't even think that's accurate. First of all, "significant" is so subjective, but if you look at the past 15 years I would say the Cass Corridor. You have new businesses sprouting up every few months in an area that 20 years ago was the highly undesirable [[to some people) Cass Corridor. Now you have, for lack of a better word, momentum, of business driving housing, and housing driving business, with of course WSU and the Cultural Center attractions helping things along. It is also almost entirely urban in design, and undoubtedly the most "urban" place in Michigan. Also probably the only place you can survive quite comfortably without a car. All of this is the OPPOSITE of this garbage suburban development that is so ubiquitous in our grey, flat, mostly charmless parking lot of a region.

Detroit has strip malls all over, with varying degrees of success. They're all equally immemorable and haven't slowed Detroit's decline in the least.

In the last 50 years, I would say the Ren Cen retail followed by Trapper's Alley. While neither were successful, they were both much more significant than any strip mall.

At one time there were two very successful florishing shopping malls within Detroit proper. One was New Center One and had several stores, eateries, and a Crowley's Department Store. The second was/is Pointe Plaza. I don't make it to the East Side as much as I should, I would assume that it is still in okay shape. http://www.schostak.com/documents/Po...ackage_007.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    At one time there were two very successful florishing shopping malls within Detroit proper. One was New Center One and had several stores, eateries, and a Crowley's Department Store. The second was/is Pointe Plaza. I don't make it to the East Side as much as I should, I would assume that it is still in okay shape. http://www.schostak.com/documents/Po...ackage_007.pdf
    If there was some kind of a decent place there to buy groceries I would agree with you. As it stands now, I don't think Point Plaza is anything to write home about.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Yes, Pointe Plaza looks to be doing well. I'm normally good with the borders but that development always confused me. Is it all in Detroit? I know that's the weird 48236 area code, and some of those businesses have the GP address. The Moross-facing retail would have to be in Detroit, at least, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Sounds great to me. I'm sure Meijers is going to have very good security / loss prevention, that should be a profitable location for them. It's not like that area is loaded with competition.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Yes, Pointe Plaza looks to be doing well. I'm normally good with the borders but that development always confused me. Is it all in Detroit? I know that's the weird 48236 area code, and some of those businesses have the GP address. The Moross-facing retail would have to be in Detroit, at least, I would think.
    Pointe Plaza is in Grosse Pointe Woods. They are doing okay but still needs a Panera Bread or Tim Horton's in the spot where Atlanta Bread Company once was. Security need to beef up to keep the pandhandlers away from the mall. New Center One had went down hill since Crowleys had left in 1999. It still has great potential on becoming a mall again with mid to high end stores. The strip along Woodward from Grand Blvd to the train station has great potential if it shed away the crappy stores that line it

Actually, I believe Pointe Plaza is in Detroit, as Kingsville is the border and Pointe Plaza is on the south, i.e., Detroit, side of the street.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The strip along Woodward from Grand Blvd to the train station has great potential if it shed away the crappy stores that line it
    Except those crappy stores are the only thing keeping it afloat. It's amazing that it's still occupied. The Payless there isn't Rodeo Drive but it's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by dbc View Post
    Actually, I believe Pointe Plaza is in Detroit, as Kingsville is the border and Pointe Plaza is on the south, i.e., Detroit, side of the street.
    The boundary's of the area are pretty goofy. The part along Moross is in Detroit as are the first few stores along Mack[[Buddy's Pizza) while the rest of the plaza is in Grosse Pointe Woods.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Anyone have an update on that project? Other then a lot of shifting of dirt, I haven't noticed any activity to speak of. I'd like to see some hammers swinging and foundations being poured.
    We drove by there yesterday and I can report the dirt has been moved into a slightly higher pile and there is a bulldozer parked near it.

Now that's progress for you.

I will believe it when I see structures constructed on the site

Default Produce

This is gonna be a *nice* Meijer's. Did you see all that greenery on the hills of dirt? It can *only* be the beginnings of Metro Detroit's first vineyard! Freshly produced Meijer-brand wine, made from grapes grown in the fertile soil of the state fairgrounds.

Well they have started moving some dirt and moving in more equipment....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast