Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default GSCC's Mark Covington [[CUB) and Mitch Albom

Mark Covington will be interviewed this Thursday, October 27th at 5:20pm on Channel 4 News on Mitch Albom's Heart of Detroit segment. They will be talking about the Georgia St. Community Collective and the progress that has been made over the last few years.

And on Friday morning, Mark will be doing a follow-up interview with Rhonda Walker on the morning news show.

If you miss the shows, we will put up a link on our website afterward.

We want to thank Mitch Albom and his crew for choosing to highlight our organization and for taking the time to talk with us in depth about our mission.

Love Mark Covington. Love GSCC.

Loathe Albom. Sorry.

Celebrity Deathmatch: Albom vs. LeDuff. This would make me century.

Can we please not degrade this thread into a Mitch Albom bashing? Like him or not, he is trying to help GSCC raise funds to continue our mission. He was kind and gracious when he visited. Unlike other on-air personalities, he is looking for good stories to write and talk about, at least some of the time.

Sorry, I don't like him at all. And I wouldn't accept his help if it meant saving Western civilization.

My apologies, and my usual best wishes to Cub and GSCC...

Thanx Blue for that info, I'll be sure to tune in to see our favorite gardener/social activist/rehabber/dad/football player/handsome guy.

Mark is one of our blessings here on Detroityes. He started his garden when he was told right here on this forum, that anything he planted would be stolen, that his soil was poison. He met that challenge and has created a small slice of heaven. He has done some pretty special stuff, has helped rebuild a neighborhood as well as the lives there. He deserves all the positive press he can get.

You too Blue, deserve a huge atta-gurl for everything you have done over there on Georgia Street.

In short Blue, don't let the fools get you down. You know how hard you've worked, how hard Cub has worked, and just because some people insist on stealing the spotlight, don't forget how many decent people admire you.

Thanks, Gnome, but I'm just a small cog in a very big machine. I never let people like that get me down. I know we are doing great things. You need to come by and see the "Learning Center"...what was the house. It is almost ready to open! Maybe you could stop by for Harvest Fest on Sunday? Anytime after 4:30pm. More to be posted in a separate thread or check our website www.georgiastreetcc.com

I'm happy for Mark, last year I tried so hard to get people I knew in the media to do a story on GSCC but they wouldn't bite Albom may be annoying but his voice gets heard in this town.

Gotta agree with Gnome... Mark is a great guy.... Kudo's to him and you Blueidone...

If only there were more "do'ers" rather than "talkers" on this forum...

Is Mark still doing football Sundays? I know he used to post when he had those last season.

On some Sunday's, Islandman. He posts them on facebook usually. If you are on FB, send a friend request to Mark Cub Covington. Probably not this week since we have Harvest Fest. I will try to get them posted here from now on. Thanks for asking!

Bump!

I had not checked in with DY for a few days and learned about this on Facebook.

[[I am *not* a fan of Mitch Albom, but will watch and record the segment with the Cubster.)

I will look forward to seeing the piece online. What Cub and the GSCC have accomplished in the past few years is absolutely amazing, and it is fantastic to see the GSCC getting some recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    On some Sunday's, Islandman. He posts them on facebook usually. If you are on FB, send a friend request to Mark Cub Covington. Probably not this week since we have Harvest Fest. I will try to get them posted here from now on. Thanks for asking!
    Ah, cool. I'll check on there. Already friends with him. Thanks!

Let me take this opportunity to thank everyone involved with GSCC for the great work they're doing right here on the east side. We who've seen it, and have seen the history of that neighborhood up close really appreciate it.

[[see, strong temptation to bash Albom again can be avoided...)

Reminder Bump....one hour to go

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    [[see, strong temptation to bash Albom again can be avoided...)
    Now I know how dogs feel when their beloved human friends chat with the mailman.

Mark! Nice story, with Mitch!

Thanks again to Mitch Albom. He did a great job getting Mark's story across! Don't forget to watch or tape Mark live on Channel 4 with Rhonda Walker at 6am tomorrow!

Thanks, Gnome, but I'm just a small cog in a very big machine. I never let people like that get me down. I know we are doing great things. You need to come by and see the "Learning Center"...what was the house. It is almost ready to open! Maybe you could stop by for Harvest Fest on Sunday? Anytime after 4:30pm. More to be posted in a separate thread or check our website www.georgiastreetcc.com
    Keep up the good work. That entire area has been held hostage by a Development that's never going to happen. Meanwhile, City services over there have been practically non-existent for years. The City needs to deed some of that property to your group and let you maintain it.

A very nice story about Mark and the Garden. I liked the part about the Mark-o-Plex. Good job Mitch, thanks for bringing a positive story to those who don't know about the good work at GSCG.

Hey Blue & Cub, do you guys have a link for this? I checked the web site & didn't see one.. Congrats to all involved for the wonderful work you are doing. You're finally getting the recognition you deserve!!

It way worked. The video makes the point in a way that text cannot.

Very impressive. Community activism contagion!

Thanks Blue! What a great video.

The library looks great, too! Keep up the good work!!