Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Community Action Against DIBC - Join the People Thursday October 27 @ 5:00-6:30 p.m.

ACTION AGAINST THE DETROIT INTERNATIONAL BRIDGE COMPANY
    There is no greater sign of corporate greed than Matty Moroun!
    Come Join us to Protest The DIBC/Matty Moroun
    When: Thursday October 27, 2011
    Time:5PM-6PM
    Where:18th and Lafayette
    [[By Ste. Anne’s Church)
    For more info email: DetroitBridgewatch@gmail.com
    or visit Bridgewatch Detroit on Facebook

The problem when doing battle is allowing emotions to get in the way,right from the start you are giving your opponent the advantage as they are straight-line focused from a business aspect and counting on your clouded judgement,you have lost your cause before you started .

Using the word "you" is not directed at anybody just a word in context.

This is a game of old school old money politics and there are no politicians that hidden deep down will or even can do battle against that.

Instead of hating how about one gets the facts from both sides and then make a decision both sides right now are pulling wool ,ask why the facts are not clear from the other side?

Anti bridge or anti Matty ?

Richard, what the heck are you talking about? I don't see any emotion in the OP. Nothing about Manny stealing a city street, nothing about the almost 9 year battle over the theft of a city park and boat ramp, nothing about squatting on homes and driving out neighbors, nothing about tearing apart neighborhoods by sending hundreds of semis through them at all hours.

Ever comb diesel soot from your baby's hair, just because a billionaire parks a semi truck in front of your house all night?

The emotion conjured by those real life happenings is absent in the OP. Not there. Empty. Gone.

So, again, what exactly are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Richard, what the heck are you talking about? I don't see any emotion in the OP. Nothing about Manny stealing a city street, nothing about the almost 9 year battle over the theft of a city park and boat ramp, nothing about squatting on homes and driving out neighbors, nothing about tearing apart neighborhoods by sending hundreds of semis through them at all hours.

Ever comb diesel soot from your baby's hair, just because a billionaire parks a semi truck in front of your house all night?

The emotion conjured by those real life happenings is absent in the OP. Not there. Empty. Gone.

Case in point.

The header reads Community action against DIBC

Fine I understand that concept,I also understand that it is clear that he is not going to give up his money and walk away so the only way to beat this "evil person" is with another bridge so what is the point of channeling energy on a roast ?

The only way you can beat brown nosing politicians is with signatures so
    hold a rally to educate and acquire those signatures straight and to the point.

There is no greater sign of corporate greed then Matty Moroun !
    Come join us to protest the DIBC/ Matty Moroun

It now has become personal, DIBC is a business that thinks and acts as such , Matty can semi retire and blow the whole argument out of the water and everything will be the same.

Concentrate on the objective without the personal attacks.

As far as the soot aspect sorry it is not valid as when you read the archives on this site there are stories of factory's blowing their coal stacks and covering an entire neighborhood with soot so they should have shut those factories years ago and then this would all be non issue.

The bridge has been there for many years if I was looking for a place to live I would see the bridge and the trucks and know what the end result would be and choose elsewhere, where the new bridge is proposed I guess there are no people there either or do they not count and what was their choice?

I could go on further but as you can see this becomes an example of how issues get distracted

Last edited by Richard; October-26-11 at 05:22 PM.

The Bridge was a benign neighbor to the several neighborhoods in it's shadow until Maroun's bought it and until it became a NAFTA link. I bought my house very many years before that historical moment. Maroun punishes the neighborhood by refusing to live up to his end of the plan to get those smoke spewing trucks off our streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Fine I understand that concept,I also understand that it is clear that he is not going to give up his money and walk away so the only way to beat this "evil person" is with another bridge so what is the point of channeling energy on a roast ?
    I agree with the others, what are you talking about?

These folks are trying to educate, unite, and bring awareness to the fact the DIBC doesn't care about the community they operate in and only care about money.

It's beyond capitalistic self-interest [[which is fine, by the way, IMHO). DIBC ignores court orders. DIBC doesn't cooperate with M-DOT and a huge project that directly benefited DIBC.

Furthermore, DIBC does all of the same things you accuse the OP of, which is informing people of their point of view. The only difference is that Matty is throwing millions of dollars at it through TV ads that spread half-truths and flat out lies.

This Community Action is a gathering of folks with a common shared PUBLIC interest. These folks are negatively impacted by DIBC's inability to work with M-DOT and comply with court orders.

As far as I'm concerned, we need to shed as much light and awareness on DIBC as possible.

Richard, it seems you do not grasp the meaning of your words. I encourage you to attend the event and then express your point of view.

Richard, it seems you do not grasp the meaning of your words. I encourage you to attend the event and then express your point of view.
    I digress you guys are right I am whacked out in left field,you guys are doing the right thing and it is working o so well,everything passed and the bridge is getting built,now if you will excuse me I need to go apply for one of those 30,000 jobs it is providing although I may get lost along the way because sometimes when I have my blinders on I have a tendency to get lost along the way. Have fun and good luck .

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I digress you guys are right I am whacked out in left field,you guys are doing the right thing and it is working o so well,everything passed and the bridge is getting built,now if you will excuse me I need to go apply for one of those 30,000 jobs it is providing although I may get lost along the way because sometimes when I have my blinders on I have a tendency to get lost along the way. Have fun and good luck .
    I don't understand your viewpoint.

These folks, especially the ones that live near Ambassador, have legitimate grievances that have played out in court, in their favor, that resulted in court orders, that haven't been followed.

DIBC has been told to comply with M-DOT so they can reopen the truck ramps, yet they don't comply.

DIBC has invested millions in lying to the public to make sure that most Detroit-Windsor traffic goes over their bridge.

The grievances are very legitimate. Why are you so opposed to people protesting DIBC?

If you think it's useless and has no value, then I would suggest you don't attend.

And that's without mentioning he's illegally seized city property on several occasions...plus the shady deals where a "mysterious buyer" bought up tons of houses by the gateway project and then most of them burned down...plus the monopoly he has on the trucking industry between Chicago and New York..

A very fun afternoon for all involved. More like a loud ice cream social than anything too confrontational.

A very fun afternoon for all involved. More like a loud ice cream social than anything too confrontational.

So what was accomplished? What's the next course of action?

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    So what was accomplished? What's the next course of action?
    You couldn't possibly care less. You're being disingenuous.

Nice coverage on WDET just now. It is nice to see some balance in the public eye against the DIBC's one-sided multimillion dollar ad campaign. Congrats to the organizers and participants.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    You couldn't possibly care less. You're being disingenuous.
    And you say that because.......?

And you say that because.......?
    Based off your previous posts you are pro-DIBC and anti-NITC. You ask the question with an agenda.

That would be my guess of what he said that.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Based off your previous posts you are pro-DIBC and anti-NITC. You ask the question with an agenda.

That would be my guess of what he said that.
    If you've really read my posts you would know I'm pro-people and anti-bullshit. Unless the NITC is going to take care of the people in Delray as well as the Canada has taken care of their residents on the other side of the water, then I'm not going to support it. I'm never going to view Detroiters as less than and I won't support a plan that treats us as less than.

As far as Moroun goes, I asked a legitimate question. I've stated before that he's not above the law and should be held to the terms of the contract that was signed. MDOT is currently dealing with him in court over the parts of the project that he didn't finish. So when I ask what was accomplished and what's the next course of action, I'm trying to find out what was on the meeting agenda, what was addressed and what are the future plans. So yes, I do have an agenda. Which is to not waste time if it's going to turn into a "Matty Moroun ain't shit" gripe session. With the exception of preaching to the choir, that won't accomplish anything.

If I was interested in simply protesting just for the sake of protesting, I would join those clowns protesting in Downtown.
    Last edited by kraig; October-28-11 at 08:09 AM.

If you've really read my posts you would know I'm pro-people and anti-bullshit. Unless the NITC is going to take care of the people in Delray as well as the Canada has taken care of their residents on the other side of the water, then I'm not going to support it. I'm never going to view Detroiters as less than and I won't support a plan that treats us as less than.
    Interesting. Do you know what DIBC and Matty have done on both sides of the river? Do you know about how Matty and his companies have bought up house after house and left them boarded up to be eyesores for the people that actually live there?

You seem to only be critical of the NITC, and not of Matty or DIBC.

However, one part where I will agree with you is that NITC must be packaged with benefits for Delray. You can't build a bridge through a community without taking care of it.

I'm critical of Matty and the DIBC. But the last time I checked, I didn't recall seeing Matty's name on a ballot. If action is going to be planned, it should be done so targeting those elected officials and governmental agencies that have a responsibility to the public that Moroun and the DIBC don't have. Matty's no good, we all get that. But screaming it to the heavens isn't a damn plan. Taking real action that will cause real change is. So, as they say in boxing, "punch or get out" and as they see in the streets "either shit or get off the pot".

Taking real action that will cause real change is. So, as they say in boxing, "punch or get out" and as they see in the streets "either shit or get off the pot".
    How is this not real action? They successfully brought awareness to their cause. They got media coverage.

It's the same thing that Matty does, except he has dollars to buy commercials, we don't. So protesting and getting media coverage will benefit your cause.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    How is this not real action? They successfully brought awareness to their cause. They got media coverage.

It's the same thing that Matty does, except he has dollars to buy commercials, we don't. So protesting and getting media coverage will benefit your cause.
    Well, when I asked "what was accomplished?" and "what's the next course of action?", I didn't get any answers to those questions. All I received were some fingers and an accusation pointed my way.

So, at the risk of being called disingenuous, again, let me ask this question. What was the message of the cause that the media is now aware of?

I'm critical of Matty and the DIBC. But the last time I checked, I didn't recall seeing Matty's name on a ballot. If action is going to be planned, it should be done so targeting those elected officials and governmental agencies that have a responsibility to the public that Moroun and the DIBC don't have. Matty's no good, we all get that. But screaming it to the heavens isn't a damn plan. Taking real action that will cause real change is. So, as they say in boxing, "punch or get out" and as they see in the streets "either shit or get off the pot".
    Matty Moroun may not be on a ballot, but he is running political ads as much, no more, any politician could dream of. In other words he is doing exactly what you suggest the opponents do, "If action is going to be planned, it should be done so targeting those elected officials and governmental agencies..." by applying money.

A demonstration is the only way those who are not billionaires can achieve the opposition and *it does* target elected officials. It lets them know that voters disapprove of support of the DIBC with its ad campaign exaggerations and falsifications, its buying support groups and lining of campaign coffers. And that before its infamous scofflaw behavior.

The demonstrators do not have the luxury of running an unopposed multimillion dollar ad campaign and funding politicians, so they have to resort to symmetrical warfare. This involves the giving of their time instead of hiring others to do their bidding and is far more genuine as a result.

The WDET report says they are coming back and incrementing the length of the protests with each effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Matty Moroun may not be on a ballot, but he is running political ads as much, no more, any politician could dream of. In other words he is doing exactly what you suggest the opponents do, "If action is going to be planned, it should be done so targeting those elected officials and governmental agencies..." by applying money.

A demonstration is the only way those who are not billionaires can achieve the opposition and *it does* target elected officials. It lets them know that voters disapprove of support of the DIBC with its ad campaign exaggerations and falsifications, its buying support groups and lining of campaign coffers. And that before its infamous scofflaw behavior.

The demonstrators do not have the luxury of running an unopposed multimillion dollar ad campaign and funding politicians, so they have to resort to symmetrical warfare. This involves the giving of their time instead of hiring others to do their bidding and is far more genuine as a result.

The WDET report says they are coming back and incrementing the length of the protests with each effort.
    So it appears that the plan is to protest the one man that has shown repeatedly that he doesn't care what anyone thinks of him? Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. There are two obvious moves that everyone seems to be missing. Which proves the point that Richard was making that too many emotions are involved.

Well Kraig, let me unpack this for you.

If the protest was held in Dimondale or Livonia or Petoskey one could rightfully assert that it was so much hollering by a group of uninformed cranks. My grandfather would have said that they were pissing in the wind if the gathering had taken place somewhere other than where it did.

Likewise, if the press had not covered the event, it would have been like a tree falling in the woods with no one there to see it. No press, no event.

But the event shut down an international border. The press did cover it. It did happen and it happened with the promise that it will happen again.

Now, maybe you don't think shutting down an international border is no big deal. The Detroit police, the US Border Patrol and the Wayne County Sheriff think otherwise as they sent upwards of 50 officers.

At issue here is Moroun's refusal to complete the ramps he has previously agreed to build. He promised the people of Michigan to build those ramps so as to create a more effcient and effective international crossing. The people of Michigan agreed help him in meeting that goal by investing millions of dollars by redesigning I-75 and building the Gateway project.

This Gateway Project would get semi-trucks off of city streets and out of the surrounding neighborhoods. Quality of life would be enhanced, ease of commerce would translate into increased economic activity and everyone would win.

But the Moroun family has decided they do not want to honor their commitments. They have not built their part of the project and the result is that international trade is being stymied, trucks are driving pass homes and quality of life is diminshed.

Now, I have not mentioned the ceasing of a city park, a city street, defying a court order or anything not related to Moroun not honoring his previous agreements.

If Moroun does not want his bridge shut down in the future, I suggest he build what needs to be built and then the story will end.

As a side note, I do want to thank Rashida Tlaib, Joe Rashid and the cadre of lawyers who showed up at the event yesterday. Also, I appreciate the police in keeping their powder dry and being a friendly force of reason.

So it appears that the plan is to protest the one man that has shown repeatedly that he doesn't care what anyone thinks of him? Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. There are two obvious moves that everyone seems to be missing. Which proves the point that Richard was making that too many emotions are involved.
    They know that they can't change Matty's mind. What's at stake here is the minds of politicians and the minds of the voting public.

Just as Matty has filled the heads of millions of Metro Detroiters with his half truths and lies, these folks want their opinion heard.

Folks are only getting one side of the story, and that's Matty's. That's because he has money. Well, we don't have money, so the only thing we can do is contact our politicians, tell our friends, hit the message boards, and in this case, organize a community action and reach out to the media to bring awareness.

They're not trying to change Matty's mind; he's a honey badger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast