Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Old Shillelagh

Has anyone been to the Old Shillelagh lately? How did you enjoy your visit? Any interesting stories?

Occurrence Guest

I always thought it to be a sort of D-bag hangout. Only been there a couple times, during events. Maybe a normal non-event night is a little better.

Last time i visited I was heartbrokern because I had to pay cover at the front door and not just the 2nd floor, the music was loud dance music and my guiness was served in a plastic cup.
    when i asked the bar tender what happened to the irish bar she said it was now more of a club format to compete with delux. sad day for me.

boneshaker Guest

I miss The Tipperary Pub.....

It's always hit and miss. Before a day game or even off day during the day it can be a good spot for a burger and a beer. At night, it's never my first choice. While I do love a good rooftop party in the summer, the cover and club atmosphere kind of blows.

The OS always seems to have a "tourist trap" feel to it. A lot better places around in my opinion.I always have friends who want to go there, and do end up there from time to time.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    I always thought it to be a sort of D-bag hangout. Only been there a couple times, during events. Maybe a normal non-event night is a little better.
    You are correct on the first count.

I'm not Irish but I really hate the co-opting of the whole Irish theme by shitty bars. I haven't been to Ireland but I have been to England. If you want the feel of a Pub like that of the British Isles, Woodbridge is closer to that. St. Cece's is also, and at least it is in a traditionally Irish neighborhood. Nancy Whiskey is back open and that is always an interesting place...I liked it better before the fire but it's still a good spot. Friendly staff, rowdy but good-natured patrons.

I had a bouncer assault me at OS. Accused me of stealing an ash tray of all things! Never will I go back. Place is awful all-around. Sorry, I like to relax when I drink. It's a cool place if you're roid-raging dbag or an orange-spray-tanned broad.

I ought to say I know some nice people who like the place. Hey, it's a free country.
    Last edited by DetroitPole; October-25-11 at 11:46 AM.

I can't imagine anyone over 25 wanting to hang out at OS. It reminds me of Windsor or a spring break bar. For me it's too loud, too packed and there's too many dudes that look like they want to fight. Mind you I've never been there during the day but I hate when someone drags me there.

Haven't been there [[OS) in a few years, but I found it was a good place to have someone spill their beer on your shoes. There are few genuine Irish bars around. More recent trip to Nancy W brought a rude comment from the barmaid when I asked for a glass of ice water, shortly after purchasing a Guinness and leaving a two dollar tip.

I have never cared for the Old Shillelagh when you go its always full of kids from the suburbs acting like its their first time drinking a beer I prefer a crowd that actually lives in the city for the most part they are much more enjoyable to drink with

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    I have never cared for the Old Shillelagh when you go its always full of kids from the suburbs acting like its their first time drinking a beer I prefer a crowd that actually lives in the city for the most part they are much more enjoyable to drink with
    I don't live in the city, however I spend more time at my favorite downtown detroit watering holes then anything local, and I agree 100%. I spend most of my time with people who live in the city, and it;s just better all around.

Pretty much this.

I another lifetime, I was employed in downtown Detroit. This was early to mid 1980s. My buddy & I had lunch there frequently. While sitting at the bar, the fellow on the stool next to us saw a coachroach run across the rear bar [[where the bottles are displayed) and commented to the barkeep. He replied, "Don't worry, the rats will get it".
    Last edited by goirish1966; October-27-11 at 03:18 PM. Reason: correct spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by BLGaughan View Post
    I have a British client that flies in every year or so to buy some new properties, and I can recall the first time he was in town how he found Old Shillelagh and thought it was fantastic, even praised the food if you can believe that.
    I can believe it. I've been over there... yeech... had me excited to eat at McDonalds whenever I would pass one!

Of course if it weren't for the kids and adults from the suburbs, there probably wouldn't be many bars or restaurants still open in the city.

The Gaelic League bar is fun on a Sat. evening when local Irish groups are playing.
    There's no cover, service isn't always what it should be, but the price is right. Go to their website to find when Carey's People or the Codgers are playing.